Xbox One Users With Bad Reputation Will Lose Privileges

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Oh for fuck's sake... Why is using the mute button so hard for some people? Hell, you can set your account so it automatically mutes everyone not on your friends list, if you're so averse to coarse language.

shteev

Oct 22, 2007
Well I'm skeptical about this. I've been in a few online gaming communities and I can definitely see the players themselves wanting to reward game-related behaviours like not creating down-time and not using community-despised weapons rather than more esoteric social behaviours. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

Iosifavich

Apr 23, 2010
Tenmar said:
This is honestly the worst idea I've ever heard. For one reason let's just talk about the elephant in the room how we are now treating the actions of people who don't violate the law are now being treated like prisoners. You know what you call an event when people don't get along? Two random strangers not getting along. There certainly is no need for any sort of police officer to come along and throw the book at them both and throw them in the county jail.

There is a major difference between keeping the peace and forcing how people should act socially. Yet right now the only thing I'm seeing is now game developers thanks to psychologists are now basically creating the US prison system. Except this time you don't even need to break any actual laws, you can just be accused by your fellow player. Which is also a terrible idea because you don't give the authority of a police officer to the person who is involved in the altercation in the first place.
Lets face it in real life there are penalties for being a bad influence on the community and developing a bad reputation. The police may not get involved but you can bet that you may not be allowed in certain restaurants/stores or people may not trust you based on your past behavior.

The point of the system is to make people think twice before acting like a total jerk on-line. People will almost always act worse on-line behind the anonymity of the internet, if they had to face those people in real life they would never act that way.

You should think if your against the system because you don't like the system implementation or if your against the system because you don't think they should police their community. We all can see examples of a community without any policing, just look at the comment section of YouTube.com, where it is so bad that Google is working on another revamp on the posting system since their first one fell woefully short.

In the end the XBox Live community is a Private Community that you join and they can choose to police it however they thing best serves their membership. Right now XBox live has a horrible community reputation almost as bad as YouTube, it is a good move for Microsoft to try and fix that reputation.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
While I am a supporter of the new rep system as it's been GREATLY improved over the original on the 360...

You can't deny services to customers who've paid for them. Well, you can, but it is NOT a good idea at all. Now, if they made their search rank really low, that's fine, but to deny it entirely? Nope. Not good.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
RaikuFA said:
People, reread the article, they'll be reviewing each report to make sure assholes don't abuse the system.
Please do quote where you saw that because I saw...

"An algorithm will determine players' reputation scores. Microsoft also noted the algorithm takes false reports into account."

If this is what you mean by "they'll be reviewing each report" then I only have two things to say. First, how the fuck does a machine differentiate between a real and a false report? Second, algorithm only policing works so well for youtube, right?

OT- I am ok with the matchmaking modifier so you keep the "scum with the scum" as it were, but taking away paid features is worrying. We need a lot more info on this. How does the rep system work? At one point on the 360 I was 47% avoided for being "too aggressive"... when I only played CoD4 and L4D and won most of the time. I still had 4.75 or 5 stars though. I mean really, I haven't seen anyone with less than 4 stars, that wasn't a new account, in forever.

Oh well. Time to see if MS meant what it said about being more open, not sugar coating things, and honesty being the best policy...

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Arnoxthe1 said:
While I am a supporter of the new rep system as it's been GREATLY improved over the original on the 360...

You can't deny services to customers who've paid for them. Well, you can, but it is NOT a good idea at all. Now, if they made their search rank really low, that's fine, but to deny it entirely? Nope. Not good.
When was the last time microsoft came up with a "good idea" themselves?

Remember that they planned to ban used games and game ownership in their initial release plan for the xbone?

Anyways... yeah not gonna lie people.. that system is going to be abused as hell.

Look no further then at meta critic and how well their "algorythm" for false ratings works out so far.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
My reputation on Xbox live is 2 stars. I've never owned a mic.

Fucking explain to me again how it can't be abused? Oh, an algorithm? Great, so real people aren't going to be involved in this.

Fuck off, Microsoft. I've had enough of your shit already this year.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
RaikuFA said:
People, reread the article, they'll be reviewing each report to make sure assholes don't abuse the system.
In that case each account will be months if not years behind reality with it's reputation, or all reports will be ignored unless a user gets more than a certain number, or an automated system will do the 'reviewing' like DOTA's LPQ curse.

Tracking how often a player gets muted by other players would be a much easier system.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Last I checked (a good few years ago) my 360 reputation was 74% negative.

And that's just because I used to play so much CoD4 and Halo 3. I was hardly ever horrible to people (only to the ones that were raging at me for no good reason), and I never talked shit to people, I hardly ever wore my mic even. I'd wager that the reason I got so many bad reviews was simply for beating people at the game.

So with that said I'd say there definitely room for abuse with this system.

However it's really nice to Microsoft taking the cyber bullying thing seriously, at least they got that right.

RedBackDragon

Apr 22, 2013
back in the days i used to play online alot of people would give you bad rep just for doing well in the game , and heck i knew some people that would give every person they ever played with bad rep so that they allways had different opponents.

with dumbasses like that around , yeah great idea microsoft i will defend your idea with fanboyish glee because you know what i dont own an xbone and anything that hurts you or your consumer base is good in my books :)

just to give you guys some back story , i used to have a 360 and a gold x-live account until m-softs automatic payment system fudged up and declared that i owed m-soft the criminal amount of $10 , haveing my account locked out through SIX FREEKING MONTHS AND TWENTY SEVEN EMAILS ! they finaly admited that they messed up and removed the debt and dident give me even a simple "sorry" so yeah DOWN WITH MICROSOFT!

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
The idea that you have "privileges" in a service you pay money for is fucking insulting.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
The_Echo said:
The idea that you have "privileges" in a service you pay money for is fucking insulting.
To a point. I'm paying money for it too, remember, and I deserve to have the same enjoyment as anyone else. If someone else is actively ruining my enjoyment, that's a rather bad thing for the company because eventually I'm going to stop paying money for that service. Which, to the company, is bad.

Sure, I can mute people. And sure, I can avoid people. But if I'm given a choice between a service where I don't have to deal with twits very often and the service actively discourages people from being twits and a service where a distressing amount of the users are twits, I'm going to choose the service that deals with the twits. If Microsoft isn't going to deal with the twits, I'll take my business somewhere else.

Oh, and also when we're paying for a service... we're paying someone else for access to their service. That pretty much means that we don't get to dictate to them what we will or will not do, no matter how insulting we might think they are. Just like with the above example, if a customer finds it insulting that they can be punished for how they use a service they are quite free to not use that service, and to find a service which will let them behave however they want to behave.

The trick is to find a balancing point between the two. And Microsoft, to its credit, is actively looking for that point. I applaud them for the effort even though I know it's going to end in tears for people on both sides of the tech support chat window. But it's a good step in the right direction.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
Comply, obey, behave or M$ police will punish you! This is Orwellian shit.

Can't people just block and mute assholes? Isn't that enough?
That's not the biggest problem.

1. Games like Kane & Lynch: Dead Men and Dark Souls have quite a bit of gameplay linked to being a douche. It's encouraged. Unfortunately, this results in lots of (unfair) negative feedback.

2. The other problem is the downvoting of people that are just better at the game. I and many others have been voted down for "trash talking". I don't even have a mic attached half the time. The rest of the time I'm busy in party chat with people in other games. Either way, I couldn't possibly trash talk. And no, this isn't a rare occurrence. Unfortunately, its quite common.

Neta

Aug 22, 2013
Have they learned nothing from internet forums with a +/- reputation system?

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
RedBackDragon said:
back in the days i used to play online alot of people would give you bad rep just for doing well in the game , and heck i knew some people that would give every person they ever played with bad rep so that they allways had different opponents.

with dumbasses like that around , yeah great idea microsoft i will defend your idea with fanboyish glee because you know what i dont own an xbone and anything that hurts you or your consumer base is good in my books :)

just to give you guys some back story , i used to have a 360 and a gold x-live account until m-softs automatic payment system fudged up and declared that i owed m-soft the criminal amount of $10 , haveing my account locked out through SIX FREEKING MONTHS AND TWENTY SEVEN EMAILS ! they finaly admited that they messed up and removed the debt and dident give me even a simple "sorry" so yeah DOWN WITH MICROSOFT!
I hear ya on that. I don't know how many times I've been reported for trash talking despite only putting on a mike when in parties with close friends, or accused of unsportsmanlike conduct for flushing out campers. Players that are mad are more likely to give bad reps as petty revenge than other players giving good reps to people who do "ok" or end up carrying the team.

When Microsoft locked your account did you still have gold active? If you did, did they end up refunding you or reinstating the remaining days owed after they cleared your suspension or did you just end up losing them?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Arnoxthe1 said:

No. What they paid for is the privilege of using a service. If that privilege is abused then it should get taken away regardless of whether or not it's been paid for.

RedBackDragon

Apr 22, 2013
Gottesstrafe said:
RedBackDragon said:

I hear ya on that. I don't know how many times I've been reported for trash talking despite only putting on a mike when in parties with close friends, or accused of unsportsmanlike conduct for flushing out campers. Players that are mad are more likely to give bad reps as petty revenge than other players giving good reps to people who do "ok" or end up carrying the team.

When Microsoft locked your account did you still have gold active? If you did, did they end up refunding you or reinstating the remaining days owed after they cleared your suspension or did you just end up losing them?
no i got nothing , funny thing i still have the last email they sent me (slight grudge)heres what it said.

"I have successfully removed the balance from your account, as well as the payment instrument. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide you with any compensation."

it took me a three page email to get that reply and that was the end of it they never replied to my continued messages.

these days i have a gameing pc / server and the only things i pay for are my internet and games :)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Tenmar said:
For one reason let's just talk about the elephant in the room how we are now treating the actions of people who don't violate the law are now being treated like prisoners.
Wouldn't it be better to talk about something relevant to the article?

MinionJoe said:
So it's Microsoft's typical carrot-and-stick policy of user coercion with the customary imaginary carrot.
Goes with their marketing, too.

Gromril said:
I don't even own a mic for xbox live, and I still have "Bad rep" for abusive language. That algorithm better be pretty damn awesome......
It won't be. This is what they talked about for the 360, too. And what they've been promising since well before the Bone comes out. It's all talk.
Genocidicles said:
Oh for fuck's sake... Why is using the mute button so hard for some people? Hell, you can set your account so it automatically mutes everyone not on your friends list, if you're so averse to coarse language.
I didn't know the only problem that was being addressed was "coarse language."

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
1. Treating regular players like offenders and making people paranoid when they should be enjoying themselves. 2. Better have a fucking terrific reputation system, because people are going to abuse the hell out of this.