Xbox One Won't Support External Storage At Launch

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Xbox One Won't Support External Storage At Launch

It turns out that the Xbox One won't support external storage options at launch after all.

Microsoft confirmed back in May that the Xbox One internal hard drive is non-replaceable, which could prove problematic if it ever fills up - and let's face it, 500GB doesn't go as far as it used to. But Microsoft's Alberto Penello told Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-hard-drive/] that the console will support external storage devices through its USB 3.0 port, and that external hard drives will function identically to the internal unit, including for download storage and game installs.

Alas, that's not exactly correct. At some point the Xbox One will presumably support external drives, but not in November of this year. "The future plan is definitely to support external storage, much like we do on the Xbox 360," Microsoft's Larry Hryb, aka Major Nelson, said in a Q&A recorded at PAX. "My understanding is that feature will not be there at launch, because the team is working on some other things, but it definitely is on the list. I don't know when it will come in, though."

Is this a big deal? I can't imagine it will take Microsoft too terribly long to implement the feature, although I also have trouble imagining why it's so complex a process that it can't be ready on launch date; either way, while it's unlikely that anyone will fill up their internal drives within the first few days of release, it's yet another instance of Microsoft appearing to drop the ball by promising things it can't deliver.

Somewhat oddly, Sony is taking the completely opposite approach regarding storage: The PlayStation 4's 500GB hard drive can be removed and upgraded but Shuhei Yoshida, president of Sony Worldwide Studios, confirmed on Twitter [https://twitter.com/yosp/statuses/373623812681523200] a few days ago that the external hard drive cannot be used to install games.

Source: Eurogamer [http://majornelson.com/cast/2013/09/01/pax-podcast-2013/]

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Well they want you to use the cloud to save stuff...also notice the "at launch" part. Until then you can just delete stuff you no longer need....if your not playing the game then delete it off your harddrive or use the cloud. This is just moaning for nothing - this is not a big deal, just ripe for a 1st word problem meme. Im waiting for a "XB1 doesnt play C64 cassettes" story.

Again...read....wont support external storage AT LAUNCH!! Or do you think you can fill up that drive within 2 days?

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
For god's sake, Microsoft, stop! Just stop! At first this was scary, then it became funny, but now... please, just STOP! Don't make the Xbone any worse, please!

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
It isn't a big deal by itself, but it is a constantly growing list of things that begs the question "Why are you launching it yet when it clearly isn't ready?"

It is obviously not ready for launch considering how many features won't be there when it does. Although as we all know, the reason why it is launching is because Christmas is coming up and they want to rake in the cash, especially as the Playstation 4 is also being released. They cannot afford for everybody to get that for Christmas which I suspect many people would do if the Xbox wasn't out until next year.

The fact that they think it is reasonable to launch such an unfinished product for the asking price is just one of many reasons for why I cannot stand Microsoft as a company.

mrm5561

Apr 27, 2010
so what is the advantage of this thing over the 360 or ps3. because other than graphics my ps3 seems to be able to do as much if not more than the xbox1

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
It's just another drop in the bucket at this point. However, this particular bucket has long been overflowing.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Ok, by now I'm wondering what it is the Xbone can do at launch. What's next? "Xbox One Won't Support Controllers At Launch"?

Legion said:
The fact that they think it is reasonable to launch such an unfinished product for the asking price is just one of many reasons for why I cannot stand Microsoft as a company.
I bet all the subscription stuff will work just fine. Or at least paying for it will. Buy now, get your moneys worth later, maybe. Then pay some more.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
SonOfVoorhees said:
Well they want you to use the cloud to save stuff...also notice the "at launch" part. Until then you can just delete stuff you no longer need....if your not playing the game then delete it off your harddrive or use the cloud. This is just moaning for nothing - this is not a big deal, just ripe for a 1st word problem meme. Im waiting for a "XB1 doesnt play C64 cassettes" story.

Again...read....wont support external storage AT LAUNCH!! Or do you think you can fill up that drive within 2 days?
In a vacuum this'd indeed be a storm in a teacup for all the reasons you've mentioned.

However, real life is not a vacuum, and right now it barely even matters anymore whether "negative news" is about the console spontaneously combusting, or a fairy spokesperson complaining about its incompability with Glow Dust OS. It all reinforces the negative reputation, until the only thing anyone'll remember is that the Xbone is a piece of shite.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
But doesn't the Xbox One install games to the hard-drive as standard, even if they come on a disc? If Microsoft is using blu-ray discs to have larger game sizes, that could mean trouble for people who don't even buy games digitally, but like to use game discs.
I think they are still doing the install thing, but I could be wrong and they could have changed it. Nothing should cause you to fill up the 500GB HDD at launch I think though, but they should just work on it right now really. Or just get rid of the install if it's still there. I mean heck the PS3 dropped that for most of their games after 09 really, with GTA V being the only one coming to my mind that needs an installation before playing it in 2013.
Although if it is like PS3 install then they only install portions of the game and then have it run based on the disc and the HDD, like how BioShock 2 is for the PS3.

Mainly because there has never been a game I've had on the PS3 that installed the full disc on the hard drive, the one game probably taking the most GB would have to be BioShock 1 when you get Infinite as it's 12 GB to install the full game.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
SonOfVoorhees said:

While it wasn't the norm, Playstation 3 games could take up to the entire 50gig capacity of a duel layered BD, and that was last gen. So 500 gigs, add to that the OS, any DVR'ed media (which is why there is no external HD options), save game files, and of course the full BD disk installs and you're going to use that 500gig HD quite quickly.

Also you think Microsoft would take a black-eye for a feature removal like this only to add it in within two days? or a month? Don't kid yourself you'll be lucky if Microsoft ever reverses this policy.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
SonOfVoorhees said:
Considering the plan was originally for an install-only system and games are likely to parallel the 50GB downloads from the PS4, I find it a bit concerning that they didn't plan on this at launch and have no definitive date.

Considering the current console setup, maybe not so much.

But then, if they only take 2 days, the point is kinda moot anyway.

I would note two things:

1. This isn't the only feature that isn't supported. By itself, it's not a thing. In the recent landslide of announcements? It's a thing. To quote Legion:

Legion said:
It isn't a big deal by itself, but it is a constantly growing list of things that begs the question "Why are you launching it yet when it clearly isn't ready?"
2. Nintendo was totally going to allow USB HDD support with the Wii. Did that EVER happen?

I hate it when people try and sell us on features that don't exist and might not ever.

mrm5561 said:
so what is the advantage of this thing over the 360 or ps3. because other than graphics my ps3 seems to be able to do as much if not more than the xbox1
The clooooooooooooooud.

>.>

Ostensibly, the larger storage capacity (than the 360) and upgraded hardware could mean bigger games. In reality, it probably just means you walk down shinier corridors.

Of course, we're probably going to find out in a week that it only supports 2 GB of RAM at launch and it will totally add the rest in a later patch.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Can we get a "Xbox One will not devour your children at launch" confirmation?

I mean, that might make people worried about post-launch, but it'd be a good selling point.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Not a problem at launch. Anyone will have a hard time filling up 500 gigs in the first year, unless they decide to upload their entire music library. Microsoft will have it patched by the time gamers need an external.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
I know _nothing_ about technology.

Although, that said, doesn't _every device known to man_ support external hard drives and memories at this point?

Or is the crux just that they want to allow external drives to support the installing of xbox apps/games?

If that is the case, thanks again DRM for ruining features and removing convenience.

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
This is NOT a big deal, there's no way you can fill your 500GB HDD at launch just by instaling games and eventually they will add support.
I canceled my Xbone pre-order and switched to PS4 for a lot of reasons and I couldn't care less if the Xbone fails but please don't cry about nothing specially if there's a lot of other valid reasons (changing policies, Kinect 2.0 and failing voice commands, price, cable box featurettes, etc.) to hate the Xbone.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Andy Chalk said:
I also have trouble imagining why it's so complex a process that it can't be ready on launch date
It might not seem like a difficult task, but you have to remember that the Xbone has by now had significant redesigning from all of the U-turns it has made since launch. They've had to tear out the DRM and the mandatory Kinect which were previously 'critical' to the system. Which likely meant they had to stop work on the things people wanted to get rid of the stuff they didn't.

And is there any word on whether the external storage in question will need to be first party or will they allow third party hardware? The 360 used to allow 3rd party harddrives then had them patched out, right?

But I'm not sure why someone would need 500GB of games on their system at all times, just keep the save files and delete the install data if you want to play something else. Even with massive games you'll be able to keep half a dozen on there concurrently.