Xbox One's 500 GB HD Only Holds 362 GB Of Games

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Arawn said:
The same will hold true for the PS4 as well.
Except the whole point is that it won't - with the PS4, as with PCs, you can replace the hard drive with a bigger one. It's only the Xbone that leaves you stuck with a tiny drive.

People did bring up another valid point; No one keeps all their games on their HD.
No, you don't keep all your games on your hard drive. There's no reason everyone else should be forced to do the same as you. As has already been pointed out several times, many people don't even have the option of downloading things over and over again because their internet either isn't fast enough or won't let them have that much data. Just because you only want to play one game at a time doesn't mean that's how everyone wants to play.

The other important point which I haven't seen mentioned yet is that the it's been claimed the Xbone will last for at least 10 years, during which time it's supposed to be the central hub for all your media and gaming. Even if you can argue that 500GB is just about adequate now, can anyone seriously claim that the same will be true 10 years from now? I just recently threw out a 10 year old hard drive when doing some tidying. I tend to keep parts in case they come in useful at some point, but there's really not a lot you can do with a 2GB drive these days. That's what 500GB is going to look like in a decade.

james.sponge said:
This doesn't really concern me, but yeah it sucks to be an xbone owner :p
I believe the technical term is "Xbowner".

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
I'm still rocking the 60GB PS3. I think 362GB would be enough.

EDIT: Though, correct me if I'm wrong, but Xbone users can't delete games from the Hard Drive? It's just reduced in size or something? Not been following the Bone at all so I really don't know.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Did IGN do a similar test with the PS4? Would be curious to see whether this is a problem solely with the Xbone, or something that we should expect from now on with next-gen consoles.

Whoracle

Jan 7, 2008
Well, to be fair (as hard as it is), I'd guess that the two updates aren't really NEEDED data. Most of it is temporary or used for rollbacks. Microsoft does the same with it's windows updates on your PC, and I guess they'll (grudgingly) release a tool that'll free that memory sooner or later. I mean, once a few updates have hit, they'll run out of space, so they kinda need to, and while they're sometimes STAGGERINGLY incompetent in their system designs, they're not that stupid.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
Tanis said:
Doesn't surprise me.

Whenever I get a PS4 I'm hoping I can install a 1TB HDD in it.

People mocked me when I installed a 500GB HDD into my PS3, until they had to re download something.

When your net sucks it's nice not having to download a 5-25GB file.
you can and it doesn't void the warranty.

really when it comes to advertising they should advertise the free space not whole drive. I've yet to invest in either console (I have both 360 and PS3, playing 360 more) but with each article I find myself leaning towards PS4 because they seemed to have not locked themselves in when it comes to 3rd part hardware like Microsoft has.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Now come and explain to me again how consols are a easier for playing games than a PC?

I have 1TB of Games on my external HD waiting for me and only a handful ever made problems.

This generation of consoles is a disgrace and a blow into the face of gamers.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
CriticKitten said:
The REAL story is this part, IMO:
Steven Bogos said:
Fortunately, some partition any hard drive for use in the Xbox One [http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1shto3/ign_xbox_one_hard_drive_full_at_362gb_roughly_20/cdy0st4]
So in other words, that thing that was supposedly so hard for Xbox One to get right on launch could be done by random guys on the internet with relative ease and only a week out of the launch gate.

Hang your heads in shame, Xbone hardware engineers.
This was yesterdays Jimquisition for bad PC ports XD

Honestly, I will say this again.... IT'S A PC!!!!!! Poor little console users weren't expecting an entire OS stored on their limited hardrives because before the OS was built into the machine. Congrats on all you new console adopters for supporting the practice of buying garbage PCs instead of legitimate consoles.

If it was just the "no hard drive has 100% of its storage" argument it wouldn't have been a big deal, you lose only 35GB, but 103 gigs for crap that microsoft should have put in the box itself.... lawl.

Dec 16, 2009
Simalacrum said:
Did IGN do a similar test with the PS4? Would be curious to see whether this is a problem solely with the Xbone, or something that we should expect from now on with next-gen consoles.
I don't think it'd be as relevant on a PS, as the drive can be replaced with a larger one.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
The_Echo said:
And you can't even swap the hard drive out for a bigger one.

GG Microsoft. Way to... way to be you.
But the article said-

CriticKitten said:
The REAL story is this part, IMO:
Steven Bogos said:
Fortunately, some partition any hard drive for use in the Xbox One [http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1shto3/ign_xbox_one_hard_drive_full_at_362gb_roughly_20/cdy0st4]
So in other words, that thing that was supposedly so hard for Xbox One to get right on launch could be done by random guys on the internet with relative ease and only a week out of the launch gate.

Hang your heads in shame, Xbone hardware engineers.
But that's not a question of diffic-

SILENTrampancy said:
When a company try's to take advantage of the doubt or goodwill of their customers its cause for concern.

When Microsoft does it for no reason: Disaster. I imagine they'll fulfill their promises when its convenient for them. Which, sadly, is a potentially long time to wait.
HOW is this taking adva-

snekadid said:
Honestly, I will say this again.... IT'S A PC!!!!!! Poor little console users weren't expecting an entire OS stored on their limited hardrives because before the OS was built into the machine. Congrats on all you new console adopters for supporting the practice of buying garbage PCs instead of legitimate consoles.

If it was just the "no hard drive has 100% of its storage" argument it wouldn't have been a big deal, you lose only 35GB, but 103 gigs for crap that microsoft should have put in the box itself.... lawl.
What the hell? You're talking pure nonsen-

Kahani said:
Arawn said:
The same will hold true for the PS4 as well.
Except the whole point is that it won't - with the PS4, as with PCs, you can replace the hard drive with a bigger one. It's only the Xbone that leaves you stuck with a tiny drive.
Butbutbut the article JUST SAID that they've figured out how-

This is literally the most terrifying thread I have ever entered.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
Just so you know Kyogissun, some people have limited bandwidth. When they go over their GB limit, they get charged additional money. So, since typical games these days are atleast 2-3 GB, having to re-download their games all the time would make some people have to pay additional money.

Something you may not have considered before posting such an angry rant.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Kyogissun said:
...Who the fuck needs to have 20+ games around installed to their HDD like that? Delete games you aren't playing for fucks sake!

And for the love of fuck, do NOT drag the whole 'WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE SERVERS GO OFFLINE AND YOU CAN'T DOWNLOAD THE GAMES ANYMORE?!' issue because that's NOT what this is about.

I see this becoming a problem in the future should updates not overwrite old versions so yes, in due time this CAN be a problem. Rotate your downloaded games to ones you and your friends are actively playing. I don't have Battlefield 3 installed on my PC anymore or any other MP game we've moved on from playing...

There's support for external HDD's coming in the future so while I get that this is kinda lame, it REALLY seems like 'First World Problem' than an ACTUAL 'problem'.
I currently have 167 games installed on my gaming PC, so I really don't see where you're coming from.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I always assumed the consoles didn't use their own hard drives, that they had an extra one for all the non-game stuff. Seems kind of misleading to say you get 500GB when the console has to use up a big chunk of it.
Also, 20 GB for two 'updates'? Sounds to me like future updates are just going to keep taking more space out of the system.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Kyogissun said:
...Who the fuck needs to have 20+ games around installed to their HDD like that? Delete games you aren't playing for fucks sake!
I do delete games I'm not playing.

Since many games in the last few years have been 8+ GBs in size, however, it means I have to juggle what I want installed because I don't always feel like playing the same thing and often don't feel like only playing through one or two games at any given time.

And for the love of fuck, do NOT drag the whole 'WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE SERVERS GO OFFLINE AND YOU CAN'T DOWNLOAD THE GAMES ANYMORE?!' issue because that's NOT what this is about.
You're right, but as you've been quoted on multiple times already, there are tons of other problems that you've completely glossed over. For instance...

I see this becoming a problem in the future should updates not overwrite old versions so yes, in due time this CAN be a problem. Rotate your downloaded games to ones you and your friends are actively playing. I don't have Battlefield 3 installed on my PC anymore or any other MP game we've moved on from playing...
As other people have stated, many, many countries in the world still limit download bandwidth per month. It's a terrible practice that does nothing but hamstring the customer, sure, but when you've got a 50 GB limit or whatever on your internet and the likes of The Witcher 2 is going to suck up 20 of that, it hampers your ability to do anything greatly; Especially if you like playing online multi-player, which happens to also use up a certain amount of bandwidth.

In addition, people like myself have abysmal internet speeds. It takes me an hour to download one gigabyte. That means that if I uninstall something like World of Warcraft from my system, I'm not likely to go back to it because it's going to take me longer than a full 24-hour day to reinstall it, and when I get the inclination to play something, it's not generally "I feel like playing this game tomorrow".

There's support for external HDD's coming in the future so while I get that this is kinda lame, it REALLY seems like 'First World Problem' than an ACTUAL 'problem'.
The same could be said of a great many things in reference to the hobbies most prevalent on this website.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Kyogissun said:

You're forgetting though, people play consoles to be stupid. Meaning that they want to just be able to throw in a game and quickly play it and not have to deal with things like this, like managing the system memory. They just want to toss in a disk and play.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Seriously NOT surprised here. I am looking forward to installing a 1 TB Hybrid-drive in my PS4. Don't see the point in SSD, as a console will not take advantage of it anyway (and, consequently, it won't last any longer).

If I ever get around to buying an XBONE, I'm likely to do the same. I really don't see why this article comes as a surprise. Developer and OS bloat have been a reality since the PC was invented...

EDIT: also, I SHOULD be able to keep my entire downloaded library on my HD at once. It is a disservice to make me re-download and wait. To paraphrase Jim Sterling, any amount of wasted time, on the consumers part, that could have been avoided, is wrong.

Moreover, consoles aren't like PC's yet, where it isn't feasible to keep such a library stored on an HD. Until consoles start getting the sheer volume of high-memory games that PC enjoys, I will remain in the "keep it all" camp.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
20 games, well that's roughly about a year, two, three even? Yeah I think I'm fine, then I can just replace it with a better HD. Still, it wasn't to be completely unexpected.

Stavros Dimou

Mar 15, 2011
My windows 7 installation folder is 16gb with the TEMP and and the updates included.
Why is xbox one's OS and updates take that much for God's shake ?
An update for xbox one is like installing a full new OS to a pc.
These numbers are quite disproportional.
My guess is that they included each individual third party service like Youtube,Netflix etc as an app in the HDD,instead of having only a web browser installed and have the user use these services through the WWW.
But since these kind of services require internet connection anyway to work,it's just a bad idea to have them as apps installed on on the HDD instead of accesing them all through just a web browser.
Up until now I thought Windows 7 was taking too much space,yet now I see this machine taking like 6 times the space of what Win7 occupies. If that's how Microsoft's OS go from now and on I'm seeing myself jumping to Linux.

Aggieknight

Dec 6, 2009
Kahani said:
The other important point which I haven't seen mentioned yet is that the it's been claimed the Xbone will last for at least 10 years, during which time it's supposed to be the central hub for all your media and gaming. Even if you can argue that 500GB is just about adequate now, can anyone seriously claim that the same will be true 10 years from now? I just recently threw out a 10 year old hard drive when doing some tidying. I tend to keep parts in case they come in useful at some point, but there's really not a lot you can do with a 2GB drive these days. That's what 500GB is going to look like in a decade.
And THAT is my big problem with both the Xbone and PS4 not allowing external hard drives to be inserted. Since both of them want to install games on the drive rather than just host game data, it seems to me that in 5 years, games will be consuming ~100GB each.

That doesn't take into account that the Xbone wants to also be my DVR, which is stupid. My DVR already sports a 2TB hard drive - why would M$ think that a 500GB could be sufficient?

I understand why Sony and M$ doesn't want to enable external drives (security) but there has to be a solution for the consumer. In 2 years, flash drives with 500GB will be common, but existing Xbones and PS4s won't support upgrades.