Xbox One's 500 GB HD Only Holds 362 GB Of Games

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Raiyan 1.0 said:
And with shitty next gen corridor shooters like CoD: Ghosts now taking up to 40GB+, you run out of your sweet space twice as fast. And forget DVR.

Remember when the 64GB Surface Pro came with a 41GB OS installation, leaving only 23GB for users? [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/30/microsoft-surface-pro-storage/] Ah, Microsoft...
You just reminded me of the problem inherent with the 360...God help the Xbox One owners should Microsoft decide that only "official" Microsoft branded external hard drives will be compatible. That would be the nail in their coffin.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Heh, Microsoft pulled these shenanigans on my 360 too. Those HDDs they put out were hilariously pre-filled.

At least Sony doesn't require the ridiculous proprietary HDDs. That's one of the few things they got right with the ps3 and now is passed on to the PS4.

Though, Sony still hasn't done it with their handhelds which is... weird.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Aaaand that's why mandatory installations are a bad thing. Look Microsoft, if you want us to do that, the least you could do is give us a Terabyte or 3. Being able to have a fraction of your collection installed at any one time and having to delete and reinstall games just to play them is just fucking dumb.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Kyogissun said:
...Who the fuck needs to have 20+ games around installed to their HDD like that? Delete games you aren't playing for fucks sake!
20 plus? Have you looked at install sizes for games on the PS4/Xbone? 20-50 gigs.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
shrekfan246 said:
Define "high memory." Do you mean storage space? Last gen already had 50GB games. How much higher does it need to be? current gen PS4 download games are set to all be that.
I meant non-disc based games. As for PC, one doesn't expect to have all of Steam's offerings on their HD, due to sheer amount of titles one is likely to own. Not so for XBL or PSN (granted, there are a ton of titles). For me, however, I'm not likely to require so many titles as to fill up the HD. Even so, I should be able to comfortably hold this plethora of XBL/PSN games without redownloading.

It's just personal opinion, you don't really need to justify yourself to me, and I don't expect others to share the same needs and wants as myself. Every gamer has unique desires! :)

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
So, at this point in time, BF4 runs to around 30GB installed, Ghosts is 39GB, Forza 5 31GB.

That means that a Xbone can hold only eleven fully modern 'HD' games.

Eleven games, assuming no future updates remove further space.

I get through more than eleven games in six months, people who buy mk1 Xbones are going to be delighted when they need to either buy a second Xbone, rent cloud storage space (I bet that's coming) or constantly install games by next christmas. Assuming that in twelve months time there are twelve Xbone games worth playing, because I don't see any right now that my PC won't get too.

Karen Parker

Apr 12, 2013
right now i have an xbox 360, with about 1 GB internal storage. literally the cheapest model of it i could find. i use a usb external drive with 500gb to save games, with any system updates staying only on the console itself. i've yet to even run close to filling up that external drive...why? because i still use the friggen disks that the games come on. why waste space if you've got a perfectly fine storage already? are that lazy that we can't get up to swap disks anymore? sheesh...

deathjavu

Nov 18, 2009
The scary thing is, this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840 is a 1TB hard drive...for $65. Consumer pricing. Wholesale/bulk I'm sure Microsoft or Sony could get them for <$50 apiece. 500gb is so small, there's hardly a consumer price difference between it and 1TB (500gb can be obtained for $50 consumer price).

And yet, they saw the opportunity to cut costs with a major piece of system hardware (every bit as important as disc drive, since all games require installs now) and took it. At consumer prices this is a savings of $15/console. At wholesale/bulk pricing? Probably less.

It just betrays how little the consoles care about the end user and system functionality. They care about razzle-dazzle and showmanship, pretty features that are exciting, and then selling you the guts the system should have further down the line.

Also...40gb operating system? How unbelievably fucking bloated is it? That is a crap ass OS by any sane standard. And you can't even blame kinect voice sensing, my phone can do that and it's not hogging a fifth of that much space for its OS. I can see 20 for the OS (although it's not great, that's bigger than Vista or 7 and those are already large). Is the other 20 for motion sensing? That seems like some crap-ass code if so.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
If it weren't that you had to install the games on the hard drive to play them (As far as I'm aware, I've been out of touch with the gaming thing when it comes to the next gen games), I wouldn't see much of a problem. I've got a 250GB 30 and over the course of four and a half years, I've filled about a third of that.

Dr. Thrax

Dec 5, 2011
Kyogissun said:
...Who the fuck needs to have 20+ games around installed to their HDD like that? Delete games you aren't playing for fucks sake!

And for the love of fuck, do NOT drag the whole 'WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE SERVERS GO OFFLINE AND YOU CAN'T DOWNLOAD THE GAMES ANYMORE?!' issue because that's NOT what this is about.

I see this becoming a problem in the future should updates not overwrite old versions so yes, in due time this CAN be a problem. Rotate your downloaded games to ones you and your friends are actively playing. I don't have Battlefield 3 installed on my PC anymore or any other MP game we've moved on from playing...

There's support for external HDD's coming in the future so while I get that this is kinda lame, it REALLY seems like 'First World Problem' than an ACTUAL 'problem'.
Uhh, my internet speeds are abysmal, and because Steam is a resource and bandwidth hog, I can only download games at night, when everyone's asleep, which is usually 3AM-noon. It will take me DAYS to download anything new because of this, and I'm fortunate enough to have unlimited bandwidth with no throttling.
Having to constantly delete and re-download/install games is absolute bullshit, and that is the main reason I have an approximate 1.5TB storage space on my PC, because I may get a sudden bug up my ass and decide "I wanna play this game now." not "I want to play this game next week."
As you've been bludgeoned over the head with multiple times, bandwidth caps do exist, and being smack dab in the middle of the digital gaming age, it's extremely easy to go over your bandwidth cap in a matter of days.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
Dr. Thrax said:
Kyogissun said:

And for the love of fuck, do NOT drag the whole 'WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE SERVERS GO OFFLINE AND YOU CAN'T DOWNLOAD THE GAMES ANYMORE?!' issue because that's NOT what this is about.

I see this becoming a problem in the future should updates not overwrite old versions so yes, in due time this CAN be a problem. Rotate your downloaded games to ones you and your friends are actively playing. I don't have Battlefield 3 installed on my PC anymore or any other MP game we've moved on from playing...

There's support for external HDD's coming in the future so while I get that this is kinda lame, it REALLY seems like 'First World Problem' than an ACTUAL 'problem'.
Uhh, my internet speeds are abysmal, and because Steam is a resource and bandwidth hog, I can only download games at night, when everyone's asleep, which is usually 3AM-noon. It will take me DAYS to download anything new because of this, and I'm fortunate enough to have unlimited bandwidth with no throttling.
Having to constantly delete and re-download/install games is absolute bullshit, and that is the main reason I have an approximate 1.5TB storage space on my PC, because I may get a sudden bug up my ass and decide "I wanna play this game now." not "I want to play this game next week."
As you've been bludgeoned over the head with multiple times, bandwidth caps do exist, and being smack dab in the middle of the digital gaming age, it's extremely easy to go over your bandwidth cap in a matter of days.
Let me formally apologize here that this was one of the issues that in my late night posting I had COMPLETELY forgotten about. I am sorry, I forget about those bandwidth caps that people have and that 'is' bullshit.

And I'm with you, if people are that concerned about HDD size, they need to get a bigger one. But the problem is that the console this issue is present with doesn't allow you to do that at the moment since there's no HDD swapping allowed nor any external HDD/Cloud based HDD support right now.

These complaints and similar ones about download speeds, lack of current support for size expansion on storage space and whatnot are all what I sympathize with. And to those people, I will completely back and agree with.

I just hope there really isn't anyone who DOES have those problems solved for them and decide to jump in here and be all 'me too!' concerning this rally against MS, because it really bothers me when those people who are only being inconvenienced by their ignorance and stupidity try to lump in their beefs with others who LEGITIMATELY have a problem.

I hope my stance is clear now.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Kyogissun said:
But I am still in the minority of the belief that if you can't be bothered to at the LEAST delete games off your HDD that you're not playing anymore OR you are buying a digital copy of the game from XBL, you should be prepared to deal with HDD space being consumed by the game, the amount of time that will be taken downloading the game and then installing it, then you have no right to complain.
You know going around issues doesn't really solve them though. You would think if they can't even get it right what was all the urgency for a new generation?

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
"First, we have to understand that a 500 GB hard drive is not exactly 500 GB. Because the way bytes are calculated, 500 GB is actually closer to 465 GB. So that's 35 GB down, 103 to go. Microsoft claims that "official apps and programs" are what fill the rest of the space, but the IGN reporters comment that most Xbox One apps are only around 50 MB and they can't imagine internet explorer being that much bigger."

Yep we PC people have dealt with this dilemma for decades. Welcome to the family Console people.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
deathjavu said:
The scary thing is, this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840 is a 1TB hard drive...for $65. Consumer pricing. Wholesale/bulk I'm sure Microsoft or Sony could get them for <$50 apiece. 500gb is so small, there's hardly a consumer price difference between it and 1TB (500gb can be obtained for $50 consumer price).

And yet, they saw the opportunity to cut costs with a major piece of system hardware (every bit as important as disc drive, since all games require installs now) and took it. At consumer prices this is a savings of $15/console. At wholesale/bulk pricing? Probably less.

It just betrays how little the consoles care about the end user and system functionality. They care about razzle-dazzle and showmanship, pretty features that are exciting, and then selling you the guts the system should have further down the line.

Also...40gb operating system? How unbelievably fucking bloated is it? That is a crap ass OS by any sane standard. And you can't even blame kinect voice sensing, my phone can do that and it's not hogging a fifth of that much space for its OS. I can see 20 for the OS (although it's not great, that's bigger than Vista or 7 and those are already large). Is the other 20 for motion sensing? That seems like some crap-ass code if so.
The physical size of the HDD has a big impact on what they decide to use. That one you linked is a 3 1/2" HDD for pcs while I dont know what the xbox uses the ps4 uses a 2 1/2" laptop HDD. They are more expensive because of the smaller size.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
josemlopes said:
Kyogissun said:

4 hours to download 6 gigs on Xbox Live, 25 minutes to download Max Payne 3 on Steam (30GB), I can live with deleting the games I am not currently playing on PC if at most I'll only have to wait half an hour but to wait that long it really does become a problem.

"I want to play that game, guess I'll play it next week"
You've got a pretty great connection then, if I was to try and play Max Payne 3 on my computer I'd need to download and install it possibly over the course of a few days, anything I think I might want to play again I need to keep on the computer or else I'll need to wait quite a while to play them again, and 20 games does sound fairly limiting considering that people will have movies and tv shows on their systems too (so you won't be able to get to even twenty).

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
Teoes said:
Something like this and the reasons behind it should be completely expected and not surprising, but you can still see how a lot of people would find it misleading when they expect to get 500GB of storage out of their 500GB drive.

Further in its defence, it's not like you're going to be actively playing 20 games at one time so you can simply uninstall stuff to make up space.

20? Have you seen the (mandatory) install sizes on the disk games? They average 35 gigs and this is just in the launch lineup

That's something to keep in mind that is easy to forget though, you're not just accounting for downloaded titles with the xbone but also the disks.