Xbox One's Frame Rate: Kid Rejected, Mother Approved

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
Agayek said:
To be entirely fair, 30 fps is better for some games.

But on the other hand, that list consists entirely of games whose developers, the idiots that they are, thought it was a bright idea to use the framerate as a timer.
That, and The Stick of Truth. An art style that stylized would just look weird at a higher framerate.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
hentropy said:
You shouldn't be so hard on your mom, guys. One day you'll be just like her. Take that inevitability and cower.
Dear lord, I hope not. My mom believes in intelligent design.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
kickyourass said:
It's less that there's 'no difference' or one being 'better,' I mean 60 is clearly a much different, much larger number than 30. It's more that if you played something at 30 FPS and than at 60 FPS, 9 times out of 10 you would probably have to TELL me which one is which. I would so rarely be able to legitimately tell the difference on my own that I really don't give a shit.
Still, at the point that game reviewers and sites are trying to say they're the same thing and there's no underlying technical issue or that the games look better in 30FPS or that Microsoft didn't make their own bed by pushing TEH GRAFFIX when they couldn't deliver, they've entered into false equivalence and we shouldn't tolerate this. Honestly, I mostly don't even care if the game plays at 30 or 60, but trying to pretend there's no issue here is not journalism. It's cozying up to someone in a thinly-veiled attempt to appear to not play favourites.

And playing favourites in the end, because they're effectively trying to artificially elevate a level playing field.

Under_your_bed

Sep 15, 2012
The Wooster said:
Xbox One's Frame Rate: Kid Rejected, Mother Approved

Brought to you by Critical Moss, the world's worst webcomic.

Read Full Article
What the hell took you so long, man? Don't keep me hanging!

2cool4u said:
Man, I would watch the shit out of an anime called Harajuku Senpai Rangers. Of course, the main characters's outfits must be exactly like something you could see in Harajuku street, otherwise what's the point in watching it?
I expected way more Evangelion jibes put in there.

Ed130 The Vanguard said:
Snotnarok said:
Red Mystery Fluid isn't comparable to ketchup, that's like comparing apples and artificially and naturally flavored apple bars! ...:V

Also on a more serious note, where did this myth come from that you can't see more than 30fps? I mean shouldn't that just not even be a thing as it's easily testable or just look at NTSC vs PAL 60vs50 it's noticeable there and that's just 10 frames.

People are crazy.
Never underestimate the power of the fanboy to deny logic and reality.
Oh, you have no idea....

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
The silver lining for Xbone has to show up at some point... Titanfall didn't suck but somehow ain't enough to stop the generally bad press(also bette ron PC but hey go master race).

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Chaosritter said:
Snotnarok said:
Also on a more serious note, where did this myth come from that you can't see more than 30fps? I mean shouldn't that just not even be a thing as it's easily testable or just look at NTSC vs PAL 60vs50 it's noticeable there and that's just 10 frames.
Ehm, FPS=/=refresh rate.

Back in the old days, some developers were simply too incompetent or lazy to properly adapt their games to PAL standards. When done correctly, you won't notice a difference to the 60Hz version. I guess the best examples how to do and not do it are Sonic 1 and 2 on Mega Drive.

European consoles from that era can also run most NTSC games with no problems at all. While cartridge based consoles needed a rather extensive mod to unlock the capability to run 60Hz games properly (usually a lot of wires and levers involved), all you needed for your PSX was either a boot disc that bypasses the region check or a modchip. Add an RGB cable and a 60Hz compatible TV to the list (back in the days when TFT was nowhere in sight, european TV's were usually limited to 50Hz) and you could run US games in full speed and color. The devs could have added a 50/60Hz option back then just as well. Lots of pirated games from that time let you choose between the trusty sucks-to-be-you 50Hz mode and the original 60Hz mode while the legit versions forced you to bother with the lazy ass "PAL adaptation"...

Btw, unless you still have a CRT monitor, the one you're using right now has a fixed refresh rate of 60Hz as well.
Hertz is a measure of frequency, specifically how many cycles occur in a second, just like FPS. Older console games are tied to the refresh rate of the TV. PAL is 50Hz, so PAL games rendered in 50 FPS. You can't run NTSC games on a PAL TV. If it works and has colour, the TV has the ability to receive NTCS signals. Alternatively, you could mod PSX games from NTSC to PAL or vice versa with a simple byte hack, but the games would have to run slower/faster than normal because of the altered framerate. I used to do just that, and had several instances of sounds playing faster than the animations in some games, Chrono Cross being one of them, because I had modded the game to run in PAL rather than NTSC as my TV at the time didn't do NTSC.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
An Ceannaire said:
Crazy Zaul said:
Red Fluid lol. I hate people who call ketchup 'Red sauce'.
So you hate everybody in Britain and Ireland?
What no we don't, nobody does that. "Red sauce" is totally different to Ketchup it's this spicy sauce from Chinese fast food joints. Nobody calls Ketchup red sauce, nobody! Not even in Britain.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Hey man, that last "momparison" worked out gangbusters for Han Solo..... I mean look who he nabbed:

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
In some people's defense, 30fps may not look any different than 60fps, but I will fight to the death that you can feel the difference.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
It bares reposting because:

A: It demonstrates the difference simply and beautifully.
-and-
B: People STILL assert there's no difference.

So here it is - http://frames-per-second.appspot.com/

If you can honestly sit there and tell me that there's no visible difference between the fluidity of the 30 and the 60 fps samples, then I bow to you. Or I may call you a liar. Not sure.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
Who the fuck thinks that 30 FPS and 60 FPS aren't noticeably different?
I've played Bayonetta on both 360 and PS3; the 360 version runs at 60 and the PS3 version at 30. The difference is really noticeable.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
Vigormortis said:

-and-

So here it is - https://boallen.com/fps-compare.html

If you can honestly sit there and tell me that there's no visible difference between the fluidity of the 30 and the 60 fps samples, then I bow to you. Or I may call you a liar. Not sure.
Yes, you can tell the difference because one says 30 and one says 60.

Not that you don't *see* a difference mind you, but the way these things work as long as the two are labelled the comparison is meaningless. In a side by side comparison where you aren't *told* the difference you may not be able to see it.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Requia said:
Vigormortis said:

-and-

Not that you don't *see* a difference mind you, but the way these things work as long as the two are labelled the comparison is meaningless. In a side by side comparison where you aren't *told* the difference you may not be able to see it.
I call outright bullshit. This isn't like sometimes hard to see stuff if you're not lookin properly like AA (though I'm so used to AA that I notice when there isn't any). FPS is noticeable no matter what number its at. 30 fps is choppy compared to 60 unless your eyesight is incredibly bad. Even then you'd still notice the difference between 30 and 60.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Requia said:
Vigormortis said:

-and-

Then how come I can always tell when a TV/monitor/projector is doing above 30 when there is no numbers to tell me?

Perhaps I have some innate bond with technology? Whoo!

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
TheDrunkNinja said:
Is it just me, or has Cory been drawing Erin rather... cute lately?
Yes. Within the last 10 strips, the more subtle kind of fanservice has begun to ensue.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
Snotnarok said:
Red Mystery Fluid isn't comparable to ketchup, that's like comparing apples and artificially and naturally flavored apple bars! ...:V

People are crazy.
Never underestimate the power of the fanboy to deny logic and reality.
There is no denying of logic and reality, there is a noticeable difference no matter how many people spout the myth that we cannot see more than 30fps. For a start, go and read this: http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

If there was no difference between 30fps and 60fps there would be no difference (or very little) between watching the hobbit and other upcoming movies in 48 fps vs. the traditional 24 fps. The difference is highly noticeable and most akin the experience to watching the movie in fast-motion; and this isn't the end either, there is already a technique for 60 fps films called 'Showscan'.

Taking a recent example of easily noticeable FPS differences why don't we look at Tales of Symphonia chronicles... if you go to just about forum any thread/gamefaq question created on launch day you will see a bunch of people wondering why the game looks worse than it's gamecube counterpart and it doesn't take long for someone to enlighten them that the game is now playing at 30 fps compared to 60 fps like it was on the gamecube; For someone who played the original on gamecube 10+ times the difference when booting up the PS3 HD remake was immediately noticeable and I truly didn't find out about the difference for several days.

I assumed it was something to do with a TV format incompatibility because I live in Australia and I imported my copy from the US, but no, it was simply the difference between 30 and 60 fps. It lacks fluidity, it feels choppy.

You cannot make the argument that you can't tell the difference when playing a game unless there is an fps counter, while it semi holds true, if you picked up a random game on the xbox one and it was developed to play at 30 fps you likely wouldn't be able to just tell it was running at that without some outside help BUT that doesn't mean there isn't a difference, it means you have absolutely nothing to compare it to, you might attribute choppiness or anything else as game design rather than FPS problem. If you think a game looks and plays brilliantly on 30 fps then just imagine how much better it would be at 60 fps.

It would only take comparing a game running at 30 or 40 fps on the xbox one to running the exact same game at 60 fps on a PC or PS4 for anyone to notice the difference.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Uh, just when this comic was getting good again, it jumps right back on the everyone-under-the sun-has-already-made-this-observation-and-it's-not-even-funny train.