Xbox owners - I've had an idea...

PettingZOOPONY

Dec 2, 2007
Moriarty said:
PettingZOOPONY said:
Moriarty said:
Actually that was done because of credit card fees, $.99 purchase on a credit card MS would not get any money but would actually lose money due to fees at $5 a credit card purchase they pretty much break even on cost anything above that is where MS makes its money on points.
Again, while that motivation might be true, it doesn't change the facts. Customers are still getting screwed over to maximise company profit. Other online stores like Steam, iTunes or GoG sell goods at low prices per purchase without forcing customers to pay in 5$ brackets.
True but many business do make you spend $5 min when using a credit or debit card, how MS is screwing you out of money when the are following a established money saving business practice? I'm pretty sure every time I got MS points I got all the goods I was promised so I fail to see the problem other than people just like conspiracy theories. I like the value adding systems, steam has it now with its steam wallet and I love it and they make it $5 min to put money on it.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
I thought of this a while back.

The only way to make it even slightly profitable would be to make it so you only get 10 MS points per 100 gamerscore.

Still would like this system though.

La Barata

Apr 13, 2010
BAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHA.
You actually think that Microsoft would abandon the chance to straight out rob us?
They've got a nice little monopoly going, do you actually think that they'd let us gain stuff based on actual skill and not on them lining their pockets?

Oh boy, thanks for that. I needed a laugh.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
NinjaDeathSlap said:
OK, so far a lot of people have made a good point, I didn't consider how indy developers making titles for the Xbox Live arcade would make a profit. However, a solution to that would be to keep MS points around but SPECIFICALLY for this situation. Microsoft could make the rule that only DLC can be bought with Gamerscore, while all full games (weather on disk or on XBLA) have to be paid for.

Other than that I really do believe there would be an increase in Xbox/Xbox Game/Live subscription sales
I really don't think there are that many people who aren't buying a xbox because they can't afford to buy enough games. I think there are people who don't have them because gaming isn't a high enough priority to sacrifice other aspects of their life or they can't afford the console more so than the MS points for DLC. Anyone who would think that much about the console is probably going to get the console anyway, or boycott on some ill conceived notion of "sticking it to the greedy corporations".

that would make up for not using MS points anymore. I know that's speculation on my part, but isn't every idea at least in some part speculation until you put it into practice?
Yes, but most people who speculate about these sorts of things have to show precedents or sound market research etc. to get their plans put through, you have neither and Microsoft have plenty of both and have made a decision opposite what you're suggesting. There's a reason for that.

Edit: Oh, and I would make achievements give out much more Gamerscore so it wouldn't feel so much like grinding.
So you're going to make the currency worth less by virtue of being easier to obtain? Or the product worth less, which ever you prefer.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
NinjaDeathSlap said:
What if, for the next console generation, Microsoft got rid of MS points and let us use Gamerscore as currency?

The problems I have with the current system are twofold:

- I think that it is unfair that we should have to pay for downloads AND for a full Xbox Live membership, when on the PS3 you only have to pay for downloads.

- Although it is satisfying to get achievements, the Gamerscore that comes with them doesn't really serve any useful purpose.

Whereas I think using my idea (at least I hope it's my idea and nobody's already thought of it) would have three significant benefits.

- The system would be fairer because we would only have to fork out money for one thing, just like the PS3.

- Getting achievement would be even more rewarding if the Gamerscore had a useful purpose, and gamers would be more inclined to try for the more obscure/harder/more interesting achievement that usually come with the biggest payouts.

- Despite not making money through MS points anymore I think it would actually earn a bigger profit for Microsoft and the entire industry. The fairer system would persuade more gamers to buy Xbox's which helps Microsoft, and the idea of using Gamerscore earned from achievements to buy DLC will encourage gamers to buy more Xbox games to get their Gamerscore. This not only helps Microsoft, but the Dev's, Publishers, and Game Retailers too.

So That's my manifesto. Discussion value: Can this idea work? If so do you have anything of your own to add and would you be prepared to support this idea if it were presented to Microsoft? If this idea wouldn't work for some reason, can you please explain so I can correct/alter it.
I agree but I think MS points should stick around you know as in like an instant buy and the gamer score points should be doubled the price of MS points (possibly more) that way developers are still getting their money
Or gamerscore can buy some games off of the indie market place (you know those 99 cent games that way they can't get even more achievements) and avatar items like TornadoFive said

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
SageRuffin said:
Strange... but it could work.

Although you have to keep in mind how the world works today. It's a far cry that anyone would actually risk that in this day and age.
No it couldn't.

That's like saying. What if I could use the numbers on my odometer to pay for my fuel. Where's the money coming from for the guy selling the fuel? It's ridiculous. Money must change hands for there to be a sale. Sure the publishers of DLC could get paid out in cash for the amount of Gamerscore they made, but then Microsoft is paying for you to get DLC for free.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Chamale said:
I love the idea, but many stupid people would bring gamerwhoring to unprecedented levels. I don't think Microsoft would want to deal with the amount of abuse and stupidity that would result from assigning a value to gamerscore.

Also, eliminating MS points entirely would be really annoying. What if I had just bought my Xbox 360 and Fallout: New Vegas, then I wanted to spend 2400 points on DLC? I'd want to spend that money, not play a few games.
Remember that Avatar game, you could get 1000 points in 5 minutes, basicly 12$ (or something like that) for playing the game. Then you would give the game to someone else and he would get those free 12$ and so on. If you had 20 guys to buy a single Avatar game and then share the game between those guys they would make profit and use that profit to buy another game to make even more profit. INFINITE MONEYZ

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Mosesj said:
Chamale said:
I love the idea, but many stupid people would bring gamerwhoring to unprecedented levels. I don't think Microsoft would want to deal with the amount of abuse and stupidity that would result from assigning a value to gamerscore.

Also, eliminating MS points entirely would be really annoying. What if I had just bought my Xbox 360 and Fallout: New Vegas, then I wanted to spend 2400 points on DLC? I'd want to spend that money, not play a few games.
That gives me an idea. You can pay for gamerscore, and a lot of it, and reduce the amount of gamerscore you get from acheivements
Maybe I'm a fair bit more tired than I think but that seems sucking insane silly.

Why the fuck on earth would you think this makes sense? How does removing the functionality of both systems = progress.

You're undermining the Gamerscore's value by making it purchasable rather than an earned measure of skill. Even if the skill is doing stupid shit like double-back-flip-dual-wield-saw-off-shotgun-headshots or 10,000,000,000,000 points in a stupid mini game than one one even plays unless they want 10 Gamerscore and a silly achievement. Just because you don't value the Gamerscore system doesn't mean that no one does. Some of us like watching it slowly rise and feel a small triumph when we reach a mile stone or over take a friend or co-worker.

And by reducing the Gamerscore value of achievements you're making the whole process even more frustrating for those who like them.

And by allowing us to buy Gamerscore you're simply moving the complaint of paying for MS points to a complaint of paying for Gamerscore.

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
dosp5 said:
Funny story, when i originally bought a Xbox I thought use could use the gamer points to buy stuff.
Good to know I'm not the only one who thought this.

Anyways, I would actually really like if Microsoft implemented this. Even if it was just select DLC that you could download with gamerscore, and some still required MS points. Being a cheap bastard, I never buy MS points, and thus never get DLC. Thus, I've been avoiding a lot of games where people have said that the DLC improves the experience of the game. I know that being able to use gamerscore for DLC would entice me, at least, to pick up a few more games I haven't gotten yet.

Moriarty

Apr 29, 2009
PettingZOOPONY said:
Moriarty said:
True but many business do make you spend $5 min when using a credit or debit card, how MS is screwing you out of money when the are following a established money saving business practice? I'm pretty sure every time I got MS points I got all the goods I was promised so I fail to see the problem other than people just like conspiracy theories. I like the value adding systems, steam has it now with its steam wallet and I love it and they make it $5 min to put money on it.
Just because it's an established business model doesn't mean it's fair. The "but the others did it too" excuse may work for preschoolers, not corporations.

I'm not saying you should boycott ms or their online store, but it's worth keeping in mind that the entire "points" system is in place because they wan't as much money as possible and it's worth trying to trick you in the process.

You know what would be a fair alternative? Being honest to customers.

"We're sorry for the inconvenience, but because of transferring fees we are forced to round up smaller purchases to a 5$ minimum transaction. The difference between your actual purchase and the amount subtracted from your credit card will be available to you as store credit for your future purchases."

There. would that be so hard? It would solve the credit card fee problem while saving your customers the hassle to buy 30$ worth of points for a 27$ game.

Harrowdown

Jan 11, 2010
Terrible idea. DLC isn't something that gamers are entitled to recieve for free; it's product, like all full games. Using gamerscore as currency would either mean giving away product for free or finding another way of charging for it. Having players pay for their own gamerscores would be appaulingly unfair. If anything, a better alternative to gamerscore would be to simply sell each piece of DLC individually, for actual currency, although that brings up all sorts of issues as well.

EDIT: There's also the very likely problem that developers will lower the amount of points you can get for an achievement to increase the amount of time and money you spend on games, and also the likelihood of the live market stagnating because the currency used on it is harder to get and completely worthless.

PHOENIXRIDER57

Mar 2, 2010
dosp5 said:
Funny story, when i originally bought a Xbox I thought use could use the gamer points to buy stuff.
I immediately went to the marketplace with my first gamer points trying to buy things.

I'm sure using gamerscore as a secondary currency would work great. It would finally give gamerscore a use, and real value, but getting rid of microsoft points completely wouldn't be smart. Some gamers would rather just pay for something instead of investing many hours into a game for the achievements.

To everyone who says that Microsoft wouldn't do this because it would lose them money: you are ignorant. This idea would promote people to buy more games for the achievements. Of course people could rent games but a lot of achievements takes time. Its really hard to get through a campaign 3 times and find 100 hidden donuts throughout the world in a 5 day rental.

Bleedingskye

Mar 19, 2011
It'd be nice to see some sort of actual reward for investing so much in a game. At least throw in a couple extra levels you could play by beating games on Super-Crazy-Kill Your Self-Hard modes or something extra. I cared about my Gamerscore for a total of 1 game until, ya, it's useless.

I think it could work. Those who do invest so much time and effort into a game should get a reward for it, and not just an extra weapon or clothes...it's got to be something that'll actually inspire people to play better and longer

Also in Halo: Reach...eff the player points that you can only buy armor that does nothing for your character, I hate crap like that....a whole part of a game that designers spent a lot of effort on for something useless

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Reishadowen said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
- Despite not making money through MS points anymore I think it would actually earn a bigger profit for Microsoft and the entire industry. The fairer system would persuade more gamers to buy Xbox's which helps Microsoft, and the idea of using Gamerscore earned from achievements to buy DLC will encourage gamers to buy more Xbox games to get their Gamerscore. This not only helps Microsoft, but the Dev's, Publishers, and Game Retailers too.
Uhm.....no. Game developers only make money when user buy a new game, and when they pay for DLC. Getting free points by simply playing the games they already bought would not give the developers a cent. And consider stores like Gamestop that sell used games. Players would buy the game used, with all of that money going to the store and not the developers, and then they get even more free stuff by simply just playing the game. (Watch "Extra Credits: Project Ten Dollar" to know a little more. In fact, just watch "Extra Credits" period.)

I can see what you're saying, by giving something to actually do with the gamer-score, and I'm not exactly fond of paying regular fees for XBLA, but let's be reasonable. XBOX Live needs money to keep it maintained and running. Maybe they could install some sort of, "The more gamer points you have, the bigger a discount you get on DLC?" I mean it's a good indicator of just how much you like and play XBOX games, why not make a "frequent flyer miles" of the XBOX?
That sounds like a good system. It wasn't like I'd been planning this theory for ages and I was completely set on it, it was just an idea that's been at the back of my mind for a while so I thought a good way to test the water would be to introduce it to a gaming community who tend to be very knowledgeable. I can see now that my theory has flaws in it that no amount of tweaking can really solve so I guess it's back to the drawing board. See, the problem I personally have with MS points is that I don't have my own credit card. I really should but my family is stingy like that, so while I can buy games myself if I want to get MS points online I essentially have to do it with my parent money and with their permission, which can get frustrating as they not the most clued up people when it comes to games. Also the set prices to get MS points online are stupid, and they don't let you just manually set a specific amount that you want. There must be SOME way of making this better without hurting anyones profits.
Two things. 1, buy your MS points in store on pre paid cards.

Not, "it's possible", or "you could" I'm telling you to do this. You don't need to put credit card details on your XBL account and possibly shouldn't (See what happened to PSN recently for a reason).

2. You don't need a credit card. Ever.
Based on the fact that you said your family is stingy and you borrowing your parent's cards I'm going to go right ahead and assume you're under the age of 18. If this is so you DO NOT need a credit card, you are a child in most countries. Also, are aware that there has recently been a Global Financial Crisis yes? This was partially caused by people fucking around with money they didn't have. This is also known as credit. Get a debit card and a pay pal account and spend money you already have rather than borrowing money and paying interest on it.

Hgame

Sep 3, 2010
dosp5 said:
Same thing happened with me. I spent 2 hours shouting "but I have 800 points, let me buy the bloody game" before realising my mistake.

OP: Brilliant idea, however the achievements would need to be a bit harder to get.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
dosp5 said:
Same here. Even if they merely let you use it to unlock avatar stuff, that would at least be better than the current system of 'completely useless'.