Xbox President Says World Has Changed From Offline to Online

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
I don't think that M$ could have missed the point more about why people have a problem with this policy if said completely justified community outrage was represented by the giant purple dildo bat from Saints Row the Third slapping them across the face.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
How about you stop speaking shit and just say "the world has changed from consumer friendly to greedy business control". We know you want to control us. We know you use figures to find the quickest way to put money into your pockets instead of creating quality products. You haven't fooled anyone.

There is no way you can argue that keeping us stuck online will benefit us. The future I believe in should be about convenience for everyone which means plenty of choices, but most of your 'reveal' is full of mother fucking restrictions. If I was working for Microsoft behind the Xbox ONE, I would just quit because I wouldn't want to look like a greedy moron pretending this deal works for everyone.

"The world doesn't need you anymore you filthy offline peasants" is all I feel from Microsoft.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Personally I like how they are trying to claim that online persistent worlds are a new thing, meanwhile on the PC MMOs have been around since before 1997 when runescape kicked it off in a big way.

Plus last time I checked neither my Android smartphone nor my Windows PC check in with anyone once a day to basically ask permission to keep functioning. I can still play games on both when they have no internet access available, which is fairly common for my phone since the UKs 3G sucks and most of us don't have 4G yet.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
The games I download on my phone work when I turn my wireless service OFF Don. I do that to save on battery (4G cards use a lot of power).

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Don seriously stop. Just stop. This quest you are on has stopped being funny and is just plain tragic at this point. Now is the time to be quiet or humble up and back peddle on the online connectivity as fast as you can.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
RJ 17 said:
Anyone else get a very strong, spontaneous urge to punch their screen every time they see this picture?

I don't know about you guys, but seeing Mattrick's smiling face as he's like "Hello, I'm Don Mattrick, and this is my Fuck The Consumer Box" makes me seriously have to control myself lest I break something I'd immediately regret breaking.

Captcha: "Do Not Touch". HA!
I must say, he has a very punchable-looking face...

OT: Keep digging that hole, Mattrick. Christ knows your stock hasn't plummeted enough yet...

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
It's not changed and it never completely will. People will always want a physical copy of things. Give me the feature of an online store. Give me the choice of buying a bought disk game on said store. That's better for me.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I can still play Angry Birds on my phone without it being connected to anything, so any more excuses?

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
Jesus... this guy doesn't get it. He truly, truly does not get it. We, as the consumers, do not like being forced to do something to preserve functionality. As someone with a chronically unstable internet connection (in a major urban area, mind, where according to these chucklefucks that shouldn't ever happen) I can't trust my service to be able to connect that often for any stretch of time. Therefore perpetually online games do not appeal to me, and I prefer things that are still playable without an internet connection.

But according to this Mattrick ton of bullshit, I am "backwards" and not fit to purchase their console, and I should stick with my 360.

Well, I will, you fucking prick. I won't be supporting this inconvenient, clunky thing that thinks it's the future, when you have a competitor that will give me everything I want in a console, a console I can use for a hundred dollars less. There is no reason to ever purchase the Xbox One for me, therefore I won't. And I guess Microsoft won't miss me and my backward ways. Way to treat off a loyal customer for the last decade.

Microsoft really needs to come down from their cloud.

Johnny Wishbone

Aug 17, 2011
RJ 17 said:
Anyone else get a very strong, spontaneous urge to punch their screen every time they see this picture?

I don't know about you guys, but seeing Mattrick's smiling face as he's like "Hello, I'm Don Mattrick, and this is my Fuck The Consumer Box" makes me seriously have to control myself lest I break something I'd immediately regret breaking.

LOL. I was just about to post something very similar. This guy is the very definition of "smarmy looking douche".

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
.... Am I the only one getting a Thick of it vib from Microsoft?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P1rRszEYKdM

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
I'm getting really sick of seeing that guy's face. Seriously, I haven't seen a more punchable face since the 2012 election. But beyond the whole "tired of disingenuous assertions" thing...

You know what? I AM tried of his disingenuous assertions! The ones that ignore the fact that we aren't really as connected as he thinks we are. Microsoft should have learned from the Orth incident, the Simcity incident, and many others with the same bullshit surrounding them. They should understand that this shit will not fly, and will continue to not fly even if they continue to insist, like a child that thinks the world will bend to their will if they repeat themselves enough. You know what? I'm not giving that proverbial child enough credit here: even they would have learned from their mistakes by now.

So in conclusion: Microsoft is run by outdated robots, because they are currently unable to learn and correct themselves. Also, those robots have been constructed with the most punchable faces in the world.

Sidmen

Jul 3, 2012
PoolCleaningRobot said:
Could anyone have predicted this? That the Internet would be used to hinder us rather than help?
I learned it years and years ago. Let me tell you a story:

Once upon a time, I was walking through the electronics section of my local K-mart and I spied a new sight. On a shelf reserved for the half-dozen computer games the store stocked was a new game called "Half-Life 2". I picked it up and almost squee'd, I remembered Half-Life and it was a great game with many expansion packs. So I begged and pleaded with my mum till she bought it for me. That was the end of the enjoyment I got out of the game for many weeks.

You see, Half-Life 2 was packaged with a vicious and insidious program called Steam, which required that you connect to the internet with your computer to play the game. I was taken aback - why on earth would I have to connect to the internet to play a solely off-line game? Just about the only thing I'd ever used the internet for prior to this was to search for GameFAQs, play Diablo 2 at my brother's house, and do internet research in school.

Days passed while I pieced together what I had to do to play my new game - a game that I was already paying for with doubled chores. I dragged my massive computer down three flights of stairs from my room, hooked up my dad's external modem, and signed on to the internet - since I just had to enter a code to get to play the game. Steam then slapped me across the face again while kicking my dog.

"No, you can't play your new game" it said. "You must download a patch!" Now, prior to this I had downloaded patches before - it was the way of things for gaming for quite some time. But instead of going to my dad's work with a Zip drive disc to download the patch and bring it home, it told me I had to do it RIGHT NOW, on MY MACHINE - before I could even play the thing. Ten hours, it told me, ten cock-punching hours I had to tie up the phone line.

Several days passed till I was able to convince my folks to let me tie it up that long, and I finally played it the next day, almost two weeks after I had bought it. I didn't have any fun. I was seething with rage at the thing. And I never bought another game for my computer - I stole my brother's PS2 ("borrowed" it, but he never asked for it back), and have been a Console gamer specifically because they were ALWAYS off-line for neigh-on a decade now.

That's my story, and its why I can do nothing but shake my head at Microsoft now.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
The world is more then just THOSE 21 countries you know.
The world he is thinking of doesn't even exist entirely in ONE of those 21 countries, let alone the rest of the world beyond that.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
RJ 17 said:

I'm not sure what I want to do his face counts as "punching"... But, yeah, let's call it that for convenience.

Morsomk_v1legacy

RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA
Jan 30, 2013
Ahh Microsoft...I have absolute no flying fucking idea how you guys manage it, but just each week you keep on churning out dem stupids. I cant wait until the bad pr overloads, because at this rate, its bound to happen eventually.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
I do love interacting with my guild when playing GW2. It's why I still play the game. However, I also like not being forced to connect to something every day, lest I be treated like a thief or worse. I wouldn't buy a Xbone no matter what though, since I bought two X360 and they both fucking broke. We still haven't seen if it'll have something similar to the ring of death, and it wouldn't surprise me. >_>

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
RJ 17 said:
Mattrick's face does seem to be getting stupider with each new news item regarding the Xbox1.

His hand gesture might as well be presenting a urinating donkey at this point.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Kmadden2004 said:
"The world has changed from offline devices to online devices"
Which is why the (region-locked) Xbox One will only be available to buy in 21 countries...
To be fair, it's not like they can actually sell this in countries with real consumer protection laws.