XCOM 2 Review - Welcome Back, Commander

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
xaszatm said:
Well, given that this is an alternate timeline where the aliens conquered the world before Xcom could develop laser weaponry, it wouldn't really fit.
Are you joking, or is it really alternative timeline where commander was incompetent CODhead?

OP: Above complaint aside, this looks to be a wonderful game. Though personally, I'm curious if the Long War mod guys will do something similar to this game as well given how the Long War is perhaps one of the best mods I have ever played.
Unfortunately this is highly unlikely.
This team is busy with their own game.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
blackrave said:
xaszatm said:
Well, given that this is an alternate timeline where the aliens conquered the world before Xcom could develop laser weaponry, it wouldn't really fit.
Are you joking, or is it really alternative timeline where commander was incompetent CODhead?

OP: Above complaint aside, this looks to be a wonderful game. Though personally, I'm curious if the Long War mod guys will do something similar to this game as well given how the Long War is perhaps one of the best mods I have ever played.
Yeah, in this timeline the Council surrenders right away before you had time to study laser weaponry. The also kidnapped you and placed you in stasis. The first mission of Xcom 2 is to rescue the Commander (i.e. you) so he can lead the fight against the aliens. Yes, I agree its completely stupid.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
blackrave said:
Veldie said:
Anyone else making all there surviving soldiers from Xcom EU and using them as veterans with kids as a next generation thing?
O_O
That is awesome idea.
Will have to do
Only drawback is that you can't boost starting ranks of your veteran troops and that psi gifted troops will have to lose their abilities or change class

But then again- mods, mods, mods... hmm will have to check those tools myself

One question- are you're planning on making your whole roster or only your elite team?
I personally think that I'll load game prior to temple ship assault and go through a roster with coin and decide who survived alien occupation and who didn't (minus volunteer and Zhang of course)
Also- what about fate of MECs and genomods?
Im taking a small force say my 8 best and making them all OC none based on people and then adding children. Ima mod them to be slightly stronger the veterans only im meaning and that squad only fights with its own members til there all dead or cant form enough as a squad they then will train and instruct in a way to the other soldiers and be reserve. The Next generation will take heavy influence from there parents. the Next Gen Sqauad will have a few kids and a few new recruits.

Im making my game with squads planned instead of just throwing any soldier in any battle. As Casualties rise a squad may be disband and form into a new one if it cant meat at least 3 people

One of the first mods shown by LWS at launch is a Officer subclass so each squad leader will be in charge.

Going to be fun role playing them and such

God Unit (Veterans) led by Odin
Next Gen Gods Led by ????
Badass Woman Led by Sarah Conner
S.T.A.R.S. Led by Jill or Chris with Whisker as a Dark Agent
Toon Unit Led by Samurai Jack

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
blackrave said:
xaszatm said:

I don't understand what you mean by CODhead? but the best way to think about how Xcom 2 fits with one is this.
The timeline A becoming B. If you played Xcom EU/EW and win? congrats your done the earth and humanity survived and are victorious. Timeline B comes in around when Xcom starts losing the fight before any moderate to advanced tech can be researched and the Commander (the player) is captured among other things leading down the path to the present of Xcom2

On the other point the Long War people did start a group called "Long War Studios" or something close to that and are working directly with Firaxis or at least premiere status on mod support of the game on several non-core campaign mods like smgs and special skill trees and such though no current "new long war" has been directly mentioned yet.

Emanuele Ciriachi

Jun 6, 2013
I am so going to get this on day one (no preorders!). I have over 250 hours in Enemy Unknown/Within, and I beat both of them at Ironman Impossible. Then Long War came along, and 300 more hours went down the sink!

This is going to be a hell of a ride.

Jan 27, 2011
blackrave said:
xaszatm said:
I'm pretty sure the devs said "we made Impossible-Ironman canon" and that the aliens sent way more troops from the beginning...Something like that.

And since apparently the number of people who managed to accomplish that was next to none...

Either way, I don't care. I like the new setting, it sounds fun.

Broslinger

Jul 4, 2015
No mention of the time/turn limited missions, even though they are the biggest complaint by players in every player review I've read. Hopefully you guys got as much for this review as you did for Dragon Age 2.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Broslinger said:
No mention of the time/turn limited missions, even though they are the biggest complaint by players in every player review I've read. Hopefully you guys got as much for this review as you did for Dragon Age 2.
Why don't you scroll up and look at the part where the reviewer mentioned the time limit?

Broslinger

Jul 4, 2015
Thyunda said:
Broslinger said:
Why don't you scroll up and look at the part where the reviewer mentioned the time limit?
Can you quote the section of the review that mentions it, please?

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Mike Kayatta said:
It doesn't really cripple you so much as it just sort of wastes your time. Fortunately, it doesn't really happen all that often, as most missions aren't story missions, and when you fail, you're allowed to move on regardless. One of the examples I ran into was a mission where you had eight turns to reach X. By around turn five, I realized that it was physically impossible for me to reach X in three more turns. The three autosaves the game had made were only minutes apart, so no help there. And, as I said, I hadn't done what I started doing later, which was create early mission saves to reset to as there's no manual mission restart button (a decision I actually think makes sense for skirmishes, not so much for story).

So continuing my example here, I spend three full rounds of my actions and enemy actions waiting for the objective to fail. When it finally does, the game then says I have to kill everything on the map. When I do that successfully, only then does it ACTUALLY fail the mission and allow me to restart. It's not game breaking, but playing for half an hour when you know that everything you're doing is completely irrelevant is pretty crappy. Smart saves can help you sneak past this, though.
Broslinger said:
Thyunda said:
Broslinger said:
Just thought I'd quote the reviewer instead. I mean, the fact you're accusing the review of being a paid plug without actually playing the game yourself tells me what kind of argument this is going to be.

Broslinger

Jul 4, 2015
Thyunda said:
Mike Kayatta said:
It doesn't really cripple you so much as it just sort of wastes your time. Fortunately, it doesn't really happen all that often, as most missions aren't story missions, and when you fail, you're allowed to move on regardless. One of the examples I ran into was a mission where you had eight turns to reach X. By around turn five, I realized that it was physically impossible for me to reach X in three more turns. The three autosaves the game had made were only minutes apart, so no help there. And, as I said, I hadn't done what I started doing later, which was create early mission saves to reset to as there's no manual mission restart button (a decision I actually think makes sense for skirmishes, not so much for story).

So continuing my example here, I spend three full rounds of my actions and enemy actions waiting for the objective to fail. When it finally does, the game then says I have to kill everything on the map. When I do that successfully, only then does it ACTUALLY fail the mission and allow me to restart. It's not game breaking, but playing for half an hour when you know that everything you're doing is completely irrelevant is pretty crappy. Smart saves can help you sneak past this, though.
Broslinger said:
Thyunda said:
Broslinger said:
Just thought I'd quote the reviewer instead. I mean, the fact you're accusing the review of being a paid plug without actually playing the game yourself tells me what kind of argument this is going to be.
oh so I'm to go through the comments to find bits of information that people would consider essential. Great.

I disagree with you on that, friend.

Also, he's criticizing how he had to wait until the mission to end to fail, and not the fact that he only had 8 turns, which is the subject of most of the criticism of the game.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Broslinger said:
oh so I'm to go through the comments to find bits of information that people would consider essential. Great.

Also, he's criticizing how he had to wait until the mission to end to fail, and not the fact that he only had 8 turns, which is the subject of most of the criticism of the game.
Which is odd, because I found 8 turns to be enough to complete the mission. I have actually played it, you know. It's subjective. Perhaps he didn't think the time limits were too tight.

And if you can't stand the comments, get out of the forum. You shouldn't post if you haven't read the whole thread, because this is how people just repeat themselves. Somebody else already mentioned the time limits. So the reviewer responded. Then you wanted to weigh in with Dragon Age II which wasn't even a bad fucking game and has been out for five years. Five years and you haven't got a single other product to accuse the Escapist of being paid to praise. I'd say that's pretty solid proof the Escapist doesn't get paid to praise.

Broslinger

Jul 4, 2015
Thyunda said:
Broslinger said:

Which is odd, because I found 8 turns to be enough to complete the mission. I have actually played it, you know. It's subjective. Perhaps he didn't think the time limits were too tight.

And if you can't stand the comments, get out of the forum. You shouldn't post if you haven't read the whole thread, because this is how people just repeat themselves. Somebody else already mentioned the time limits. So the reviewer responded. Then you wanted to weigh in with Dragon Age II which wasn't even a bad fucking game and has been out for five years. Five years and you haven't got a single other product to accuse the Escapist of being paid to praise. I'd say that's pretty solid proof the Escapist doesn't get paid to praise.
Wow bro. You're mad. Don't tell people how to enjoy the forums. That's not up to you.

He didn't mention the turn limits except in relation to the inability to restart the mission until it ended, not as the big factor in the game itself. Even if I had read it, I would have still made the same criticism.

His review has a massive oversight and, if you read any user review for the thing on Steam or metacritic, they almost all criticize the number of missions with turn limits.

Also, I'm not sure how having two reviews that are way off base proves anything other than they have 2 way off base reviews. There are probably more, but I don't read escapist reviews very often because of the DA2 review.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Broslinger said:
Thyunda said:
Broslinger said:

Wow bro. You're mad. Don't tell people how to enjoy the forums. That's not up to you.

He didn't mention the turn limits except in relation to the inability to restart the mission until it ended, not as the big factor in the game itself. Even if I had read it, I would have still made the same criticism.

His review has a massive oversight and, if you read any user review for the thing on Steam or metacritic, they almost all criticize the number of missions with turn limits.

Also, I'm not sure how having two reviews that are way off base proves anything other than they have 2 way off base reviews. There are probably more, but I don't read escapist reviews very often because of the DA2 review.

So why are you in a forum if you don't want to read comments? That's what a forum is for. Also, why would he complain about turn limits if he didn't find them a problem? The logic isn't present. I find that the turn limits keep the mission neat and, well, you do know you're basically playing a terrorist group who needs to get in, fulfill the objective and get out again before ADVENT can respond? I mean really, a time limit seems the most obvious thing to put in a game like that.

So you say the review is off-base. I quite agree with the review. I've played it, you haven't. So two people who played the game say time limits aren't a problem. You read some other reviews and demand to know why this one isn't identical. If anybody's mad, buddy, it's the guy who is utterly infuriated that the reviewer isn't angry enough about time limits.

Just so you know, if you think you don't have enough time to complete a mission, you're playing the game wrong. This isn't Enemy Unknown. You cannot play defensively.

Broslinger

Jul 4, 2015
Thyunda said:
So you say the review is off-base. I quite agree with the review. I've played it, you haven't.
Wow! Now how do you know that? You know what you do when you make assumptions, right.

In fact, I refunded it on steam because of the timed missions. I don't find it strategic.

This is another example of reviews of a triple A game from professional reviewers not matching user scores.

I'm glad you like the game, but I don't, and I find a review that leaves out the biggest user complaint to be a problem, even if the reviewer mentions it in the comments (Though not in the context of criticizing the most heavily criticized part of the game). You can accept that if you want, but I don't, and I criticized it.

Broslinger

Jul 4, 2015
Thyunda said:
So you say the review is off-base. I quite agree with the review.
Also, Dragon Age 2!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/8701-Dragon-Age-II-Review

Broslinger

Jul 4, 2015
Gundam GP01 said:
Broslinger said:
Thyunda said:
So you say the review is off-base. I quite agree with the review.
Also, Dragon Age 2!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/8701-Dragon-Age-II-Review
Doesnt change anything about his points.

If you hate the mission timers so much, why dont you extend the limit or remove them entirely yourself?
Or just download the mods on the steam workshop that do just that.

Firaxis made the game hyper moddable for that exact reason.
I got a refund instead. Don't believe escapist reviews. That's all I'm saying.