Jul 4, 2015
Gundam GP01 said:
Broslinger said:
Gundam GP01 said:
Broslinger said:
Gundam GP01 said:
Broslinger said:
Thyunda said:
So you say the review is off-base. I quite agree with the review.
Also, Dragon Age 2!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/8701-Dragon-Age-II-Review
Doesnt change anything about his points.

If you hate the mission timers so much, why dont you extend the limit or remove them entirely yourself?
Or just download the mods on the steam workshop that do just that.

Firaxis made the game hyper moddable for that exact reason.
I got a refund instead. Don't believe escapist reviews. That's all I'm saying.
I had the game pre-ordered, and have played 17 hours since Thursday night.

The game is awesome, and the escapist review is fine and represents the product adequately. Dont tell me what to fucking think.
Hahahaha okay bro. Get mad. It's just a suggestion.

So angry.
Those words are the true mark of a man (Or woman) that knows they're defeated.
Nah, I got a refund for a bad game. I win. You got mad at me pointing out an author's oversight. Getting mad at criticism means you lose.

Broslinger

Jul 4, 2015
Gundam GP01 said:
Broslinger said:
Gundam GP01 said:
Broslinger said:
Gundam GP01 said:
Broslinger said:
Gundam GP01 said:
Broslinger said:
Thyunda said:
Also, Dragon Age 2!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/8701-Dragon-Age-II-Review

If you hate the mission timers so much, why dont you extend the limit or remove them entirely yourself?

The game is awesome, and the escapist review is fine and represents the product adequately. Dont tell me what to fucking think.

So angry.
Nah, I got a refund for a bad game. I win. You got mad at me pointing out an author's oversight. Getting mad at criticism means you lose.
I'm not mad, and there was no oversight.

The turn limits are fine. It is entirely possible to do all of the mission objectives in the time it wants you to do it in.
But if you just cant manage it for some reason, JUST MOD THEM OUT.

Seriously, Firaxis made the game PC exclusive and focused on hyper modability for a reason.
I don't buy, and can't accept, games that I have to mod to play.

Broslinger

Jul 4, 2015
Gundam GP01 said:
Broslinger said:
Gundam GP01 said:
Broslinger said:
Gundam GP01 said:
Broslinger said:
Gundam GP01 said:
Broslinger said:
Gundam GP01 said:
Broslinger said:
Thyunda said:
Also, Dragon Age 2!

So angry.
I'm not mad, and there was no oversight.

The turn limits are fine. It is entirely possible to do all of the mission objectives in the time it wants you to do it in.
But if you just cant manage it for some reason, JUST MOD THEM OUT.

Seriously, Firaxis made the game PC exclusive and focused on hyper modability for a reason.
I don't buy, and can't accept, games that I have to mod to play.
Then go back to consoles. You dont have to worry about modding there.

(Disregarding that you dont HAVE to mod the game at all. It works fine as-is. Also disregarding that modding the game is literally a 2 click affair, once to install, once to activate it. If it's so easy to do it, and if it would get rid of a flaw on like day 3 that's apparently so egregious to you that you'd want to refund the game, then why the fuck NOT try modding it first?)
Go BACK to consoles eh? So you're assuming I recently switched to PC games. Why is everyone on this forum angry and presumptive?

I didn't like the game, the reviewer left out the biggest problem with it, and you're a very angry person for some reason.

ffs-dontcare

Aug 13, 2009
My biggest problem with this game is the turn limits in missions. I'm the sort of person who likes to play defensively and execute plans of attack when I'm ready while dealing with the consequences of attempting said plans. So far it doesn't seem like I'm going to be given that option in the base game, but this is obviously just a personal niggle of mine (I hate time limits in games in general) and aside from that, I'm very happy with how the game turned out. It exceeded my expectations and I can't wait for my next days off from work so I can sit down and play more of it. I've already found a mod that disables timers so that's my primary concern dealt with.

My only other concerns are the camera not doing what it's told and the lag that happens every now and then. Those definitely aren't subjective criticisms and I can't wait for those to get patched.

Other than those problems, absolutely stunning game. I think it's one of the best of 2016 and we're only a week into February.

Broslinger

Jul 4, 2015
ffs-dontcare said:
My biggest problem with this game is the turn limits in missions.
That's what everyone seems to be saying in user reviews. Kind of weird that the reviewer didn't mention it.

Broslinger

Jul 4, 2015
Gundam GP01 said:
Broslinger said:
ffs-dontcare said:
That's what everyone seems to be saying in user reviews. Kind of weird that the reviewer didn't mention it.
Maybe because they're completely manageable and NOT A FUCKING PROBLEM!!
That's not what ffs-dontcare thinks. He described it as his "biggest problem with this game,"

Maybe he has his own perspective, and you're and angry person who defends bad reviews.

Ralancian

Jan 14, 2012
I've sucked a whole bunch of my life into this game already....as for turn limits yeah no idea what beef is with that it provides impetuous to get the mission objectives done. I think I've had a couple of missions go down to the last couple of turns but I've never lost a mission yet due to not enough turns.

Thematically it's meant to represent our alien overlords bringing down the pain on us and fit quite well considering your a rag tag bunch of freedom fighters.

Review was entirely spot on from my point of view.

Ralancian

Jan 14, 2012
Broslinger clearly trolling and reading what he wants to read as he cherry picks the quotes.

Watch me take something completely out of context from the same post.
ffs-dontcare said:
absolutely stunning game. I think it's one of the best of 2016 and we're only a week into February.
EDIT:

I'd happiy argue the worst mechanic of the game is stealth. Which whilst a nice idea just doesn't work combined with timers, most missions requiring you to kill everything in sight and lastly that you need the loot from corpses for just about everything. All that happens is you set up a ambush for the first group of bad guys you see and take them out with extreme force.

Maybe when you have 6 guys with upgraded kit taking out multiple groups in one ambush is possible but all that happens currently is major death from taking on too many guys.

But it doesn't break the game in the slightest.

ffs-dontcare

Aug 13, 2009
blackrave said:
Are you joking, or is it really alternative timeline where commander was incompetent CODhead?
From what I understand, the Council betrayed XCOM and the Commander was competent enough that the aliens wanted him/her kept alive for purposes that become clear in the game.

Broslinger said:
ffs-dontcare said:
The reviewer probably didn't consider it an issue that impacted his enjoyment of the game and so didn't feel the need to mention it in his review. Some people just enjoy being under pressure and how great it feels to beat a mission/level/goal before the time runs out. As you can tell, I'm not one of those people. The last mission I played was a VIP rescue mission and I went into it with a fresh squad of classless rookies (because I don't want to rely on just one squad of highly-developed soldiers in case I lose them) and still managed to beat it on time, but it wasn't as fun for me as it would have been if I had all the time in the world to do it.

As Gundam GP01 said, they are manageable. And I understand why they're there in the first place. But I just don't find them fun, so in the grand scheme of things, I'm just glad I have the option of changing it to suit my play-style. One of the reasons I love PC gaming, heh.

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
Gundam GP01 said:
Bring it down a notch or two, please. I recognize that you're pretty upset, but having a differing opinion on a review than someone else isn't a reason to start up with the caps and language.

Broslinger said:
That's not what ffs-dontcare thinks. He described it as his "biggest problem with this game,"

Maybe he has his own perspective, and you're and angry person who defends bad reviews.
Likewise, telling someone they're an angry person doesn't actually help de-escalate the argument. There's no "winning" or "losing" a discussion.

You both can disagree, and discuss, without getting angry or inflammatory. If you can't, then really consider taking some time away until you can.

Broslinger

Jul 4, 2015
NewClassic said:
Gundam GP01 said:
Bring it down a notch or two, please. I recognize that you're pretty upset, but having a differing opinion on a review than someone else isn't a reason to start up with the caps and language.

Broslinger said:

Likewise, telling someone they're an angry person doesn't actually help de-escalate the argument. There's no "winning" or "losing" a discussion.

You both can disagree, and discuss, without getting angry or inflammatory. If you can't, then really consider taking some time away until you can.
Thanks for the life lesson. Not sure why the admins let people get away with getting angry and cussing though. Or you for derailing the conversation.

n0e

Eternally Lurking
Feb 28, 2014
Well, since he's one of the moderator's, it's part of his job to keep things from escalating. He's allowed to jump in a conversation when need be to do precisely that.

Just as it's my job to do the same. So, since that bit of informative information has been given, how about you take his advice? Sometimes when a conversation gets a bit heated the best thing to do is take a breather for a little.

[Edit] Let's get things back on topic, shall we? Thanks!