XCOM 2's been delayed; what're you gonna be playing instead until 2016?

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
So, since XCOM 2's been delayed until February of next year*, what games are you guys gonna be playing instead to scratch that particular strategy itch?

Personally, I'm probably gonna keep playing Long War, or some Infinity by Corvus Belli, which is pretty much a tabletop wargame version of XCOM with the right factions.

* http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08/28/xcom-2-delayed-to-2016

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Damnit, was kinda looking forward to that playing that. I guess Fallout 4 will hold my attention for a long time, along with Mad Max and Far Cry 4 I should survive.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
In other words, 2K saw the competition and said "fuck that that shit". Eh, let hope they didn't shelved it.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Yah!

Sorry PC peeps but that just gives me a longer time period to gather the money to play my most favorite game ever from last generation. 2K ripped that series away from my console hands (which I certainly don't blame them for but still D:) so now I need to figure out how I can make this computer I'm on become a XCOM 2 machine...

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Son of a *****.

Usually I'm not bothered by delays. "Better that they take the time to get it right", and all that. But I was really looking to this. I mean, you can give your soldiers tattoos this time around. And change their body language. Their body language for crying out loud!

Guess I'll have to reinstall Valkyria Chronicles. It's... kinda like XCOM. I mean, if you dipped XCOM in a nigh on insufferable anime. But it'll do for now, right? Right?

*sob*

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
mad825 said:
In other words, 2K saw the competition and said "fuck that that shit". Eh, let hope they didn't shelved it.
Just out of curiosity, what was the competition you refer to?

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Zhukov said:
mad825 said:
Fallout 4, CoD Black Ops III, AssCreed Syndicate, Star Wars Battlefront, etc, all (intending to) releasing in November. Guess the less you need to contend with CoD, the better.

For the record, it seems highly unlikely that 2K would shelve the game at this stage, since they've already started doing the hype thing for the game.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Fallout 4, clearly. What else?

The fun will never end until every single NPC is a lifeless husk flayed into dust by the wind.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Mangod said:
Zhukov said:
mad825 said:
Fallout 4, CoD Black Ops III, AssCreed Syndicate, Star Wars Battlefront, etc, all (intending to) releasing in November. Guess the less you need to contend with CoD, the better.

For the record, it seems highly unlikely that 2K would shelve the game at this stage, since they've already started doing the hype thing for the game.
The October-December block is the biggest time of year for selling games though, with a full 50% of games in some places being sold in that time. It has more competition, but that's because it's the time of year more people are buying.

Besides, only Fallout 4 could constitute competition given what type of game it is we're talking about. Not exactly much overlap between the Call of Duty, AC or Battlefield audience and that which would buy Xcom.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Zontar said:
The October-December block is the biggest time of year for selling games though, with a full 50% of games in some places being sold in that time. It has more competition, but that's because it's the time of year more people are buying.

Besides, only Fallout 4 could constitute competition given what type of game it is we're talking about. Not exactly much overlap between the Call of Duty, AC or Battlefield audience and that which would buy Xcom.
Dunno man, never say never. It's difficult to put any one sticker on an audience. I love XCOM but have also played a lot of FPS titles for example. Might even get CoD due to the Sci Fi setting (will wait for reviews though). Especially on PC I don't think audiences are very homogeneous.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Shadowrun Hong Kong and the new season of Diablo 3 till September 15, then I'll pick up all the Destiny expansions and play that till Fallout 4 in November, then its probably a mix of FO4 and whatever I get as Christmas gifts until the 2016 releases start coming in.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Same thing I was going to be playing to begin with, Fallout 4. I'm looking forward to XCOM 2 no doubt, but it was never going to be my primary.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Good.

Xcom2 seems to me more ambitious then the 1st game in scope and I'm happy they are taking more time to refine the game rather then rushing it out ASAP.

However it puts me in a bad position in regard to Fallout 4...
Unlike most other posters here, I have no desire to play FO4 first and at release, if I'll be honest my expectations for FO4 are lukewarm as I've not been impressed by what I've seen so far (same for Star Wars Battlefront actually.. I actually scrubbed it from my mind because I've hated what I've seen so far, until people mentioned it here), I fully expect FO4 to be a buggy mess at launch and honestly, not be a very good game until mods come out.
To me Beth games are mod bases first and foremost, a beth game without the mods is pointless.

Once mods start hitting, then FO4 will be worth a damn. So yeah I'd much rather wait a few months on that one.

Hum..Guess I'll be replaying my old games it seems. Oh prison architect is officially released soon actually!
Nevermind FO4 and screw Star Wars Battlefront, that's the game that I'll be playing methinks.
Might give Shadowrun a try too.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Well i will have The Phantom Pain in a few days. In November there will be Fallout 4. And i still haven't finished the Witcher 3 btw. even after over 80 hours of play.
And my Strategie Itch gets still perfectly satisfied by Europa Universalis 4.
So overall i think i will be just fine.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Zhukov said:
Son of a *****.

Usually I'm not bothered by delays. "Better that they take the time to get it right", and all that. But I was really looking to this. I mean, you can give your soldiers tattoos this time around. And change their body language. Their body language for crying out loud!

Guess I'll have to reinstall Valkyria Chronicles. It's... kinda like XCOM. I mean, if you dipped XCOM in a nigh on insufferable anime. But it'll do for now, right? Right?

*sob*
Oh, what's that game? Oh, mate, it's the one where a plucky pacifistic nation has to oppose an evil empire who are utterly incapable of leaving windmills standing. And the protagonist's dad was a famous general of this pacifist nation. But he likes to draw wildlife so he's clearly qualified for this.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Delayed? Nawww. :( Oh well. *whips out the wish list*

Satellite reign
Invisible Inc.
Shadowrun returns
Shadowrun dragonfall
Shadowrun Hong Kong
Shadowrun chronicles: Boston lockdown
Valkyria chronicles
Mordheim: city of the damned
Warmachine tactics
Blood bowl 2
Renowned explorers
Duelyst
Darkest dungeon
There came an echo

And those are just the ones bearing a degree of resemblance to XCOM. (I figure those would have the best chance of being of interest to others in this thread.) So yeah, I'll probably find a way to tide myself over a couple more months. :p

Off-topic: Oooh, an infinity player eh? It'd be my game of choice if I'd get into a miniatures game, for much the same reason you stated. But its player base in my country appears nigh non-existent, so that horse basically died on the starting line. :7

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Hey, as much as I usually go down the route of "at least they have more time to get it right and release a functional product", god fucking dammit.

I really enjoyed XCOM EU, and I was super excited to play the sequel at the end of the year, but I guess it will be my February game, then.