XCom Reimagining Not Being Made by BioShock 2 Team

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
XCom Reimagining Not Being Made by BioShock 2 Team

Despite yesterdays reports, the new XCom will not be made by the BioShock 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Bioshock-2-Xbox-360/dp/B0016BVYA2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278534377&sr=1-1] team.

Yesterday we reported that 2K Marin, the team that made BioShock2, would be working on a new XCom game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99964-New-X-Com-Shooter-Coming-From-BioShock-2-Studio]; but it turns out that that is not entirely true.

The XCom shooter will in fact be made by 2K Australia, which is apparently a sister studio to 2K Marin, referred to as the "the Canberra, Australia arm of 2K Marin." While 2K Australia did work on BioShock 2, it was not the main programming team, so while the announcement was technically true, it was a little on the misleading side.

2K reassures fans that "the Canberra, Australia arm of 2K Marin" will stay "true to the roots of the franchise" as they "re-imagine and expand the rich lore."

Source: Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/63318]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, at least it is still 2K working on the project! Should stoll be good (I hope! lol)

Apr 28, 2008
You can't really be "true to the roots" if you completely change the core gameplay...

Fallout 3 was really fun, but as a Fallout game, it was pretty poor.

Nevyrmoore

Aug 13, 2009
..."true to the roots of the franchise"...
Except you're not playing as an X-COM squaddie, you're playing as an FBI agent. That's already a downside, unless this agent gets recruited into X-COM after the first level or something.

There's also currently no word on base building, researching, and squads. So forgive me if I remain pessimistic.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Irridium said:
You can't really be "true to the roots" if you completely change the core gameplay...
True - I don't see how it can be a squad tactical game with global strategy management when its an FPS. Ok, hell, it doesn't even need to be global - X-Com Apocalypse's city scape was grand and dandy.

You mean, as a 2D isometric game, it was pretty poor ;)

UNCyrus

May 14, 2009
If they were "true to the roots of the franchise", it wouldn't be another stupid eff'ing FPS!

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Irridium said:

This a million times.
I loved the X-Com games. Heck, I think I still have the CD for UFO Defense kicking around somewhere! But this is less a 'true to roots' return, and more a 'We want to lure older gamers in with recognized IP, and new gamers in with aliens and explosions' type of 're-imagining'.

KillerRabbit

Jan 3, 2009
Yey - another FPS, how excited I am! .... not.

Give me a remake of the first two or three games, with added features (like more to research, more skills, vehicles, etc) & animations instead! That's a game I would buy in a heartbeat!

Nevyrmoore

Aug 13, 2009
Doug said:
Irridium said:
True - I don't see how it can be a squad tactical game with global strategy management when its an FPS.
It's doable. See Hidden and Dangerous 2 for the tactical squad based side. But for that to happen they need to actually incorporate squads and a tactical mode, as well as a first person mode.

As for the management side, we shall have to wait and see if they actually include base building and what-not.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
Hey guess what, Australians are making it, you know that its going to be the manly game.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
In my opinion STALKER SoC was the true spiritual sequal to Fallout, and the actual Bethesda Fallout 3 was Oblivion with Guns

Things they need to make an XCOM remake not suck:

1. you build the base (and run around defending the base you built in an FPS mode)
2. research system
3. FULLY destructible environments! as in the enemy is hiding in an apartment building...you blow away the first floor of the building and it comes down
4. Falloutish damage system...accuracy is determined by the player, damage done is determined by the character statistics.
5. Real time pause to issue orders to squadies, including a non-dumb AI mode where the squaddie will react appropriately if they don't have any orders.
6. some kind of action point system (see how rogue energy works in WoW or how action points work in WAR)

If the game has these elements then it might be worthy of the XCOM name. If not it will be another generic space marine shooter.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
I fail to see how re-imagining the lore and completely changing the gameplay adds up to "staying true to the roots of the franchise"?

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
The FPS bit I can live with, providing that like "rembrandtqeinstein" said it borrows a few things from Fallout 3 (like the entire V.A.T.S. system). And they need keep the GeoScape as it is, the tactical squad play will be missed, but I can live without it if I still direct the course of the war through base-building, research and intercepting hostile forces. FPSing the missions with AI squad-mates should do just dandy.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
KillerRabbit said:
Yey - another FPS, how excited I am! .... not.

Give me a remake of the first two or three games, with added features (like more to research, more skills, vehicles, etc) & animations instead! That's a game I would buy in a heartbeat!

Joe Deadman

Jan 9, 2010
Im willing to wait and see how this goes.
Maybe it could be quite an interesting perspective shift. I just wonder how they would handle the mind control enemies.
I don't think primed grenades would be a good response this time ;)

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Well considering how mediocre bioshock was and how poor most modern day shooters are.....meh it will turn out to be mainstream fodder for zombie gamers......

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Irridium said:
Doug said:
Irridium said:
You mean, as a 2D isometric game, it was pretty poor ;)
hehe, I was kind of talking more about the humor and story :p

But I guess it was a pretty poor 2D isometric game ;)
....Right... so, the humour which was the same as in Fallout 1/2, was somehow worse in Fallout 3? The story...well, ok, wasn't quite as good as 1/2.