XCom Shooter is Alive and Kicking

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
XCom Shooter is Alive and Kicking

Despite the long, awkward silence, Take-Two Interactive says that work on the XCom shooter is still underway.

It's been a rough ride for XCom - the shooter, that is, not the Enemy Unknown. Fans weren't too happy to learn that the new XCom game they'd waited for so long was a prequel shooter, and then came rumors of trouble at developer 2K Marin, two separate but very lengthy delays and more rumors that the game was being changed from an FPS into a budget-priced third-person shooter. And then, an eerie silence.

It's the kind of treatment that might make a person think Take-Two was looking to wash its hands of the whole thing, but the company made a point of mentioning the game today during a financial call. "2K Marin continues to make progress on XCom," the publisher said, which admittedly isn't much to go on, but at least it's an acknowledgment that it actually exists. It also still holds a spot on the Take-Two launch schedule, albeit with a very vague "FY 2014" launch date, for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

I still think the XCom shooter, at least in its original guise, looks like a really intriguing idea and with the success of XCom: Enemy Unknown demonstrating significant interest in the franchise, my hope is that these long delays are a sign that Take-Two is committed to doing more with it than just shoveling it out the door on the cheap.

Source: Take-Two [http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/05/xcom-the-shooter-still-alive-and-set-for-fy-2014-launch]

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
NO NO NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

JUST LET IT DIE PLEASE LET IT DIE!

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
I just don't get why they tried turning a turn-based strategy game into a generic shooter in the first place. It's as if they were instinctively trying to make an XCOM game that was NOT an XCOM game.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Just call it fucking X-files already. That's what it is! X-files the shooter!

Brand name recognition is one thing but the vitriol from X-com fans just doesn't seem worth the troubles.

Anyway it is up my alley and they at least have something different from a MMS. So I might check it out. Can't be worse than what they did to the Turnbased X-com.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Ldude893 said:
I just don't get why they tried turning a turn-based strategy game into a generic shooter in the first place. It's as if they were instinctively trying to make an XCOM game that was NOT an XCOM game.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-COM:_Enforcer

OT: Now that I've gotten a top-notch XCOM game recently, I'm much more forgiving of this one. I'll still probably pass, though.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
I'll go ahead and dig it a nice comfy grave right next to where the Syndicate reboot now rests...

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
trty00 said:
Oh wait, I forgot, any game in a franchise that doesn't follow the exact same formula time and time again is instantly god-awful! How silly of me!
To be fair, fans of a given series are fans because they like what a series offers. If you change the things they like into things they might not like, how are the fans supposed to react?

Fans of this series were fans of an entirely different genre than a FPS, and with so many FPSs saturating the market, I wager seeing their TBS turned into another FPS wasn't pleasant news. Besides, people who like TBSs tend to play differently than people who like FPSs. That's not to say there is no cross over, but the genres require different play styles.

It's like turning Tetris into a space fighter game. The fans of Tetris wanted to enjoy a puzzle game, not a space fighter.

The game may not suck... but it's not what the fans want.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
They better have improved the graphics quality over the original trailer. The lighting was sharp enough to cut through Ted Nugent's skull.
Great, now I have Cat Scratch Fever stuck in my head...Dammit!

I really don't care what happens now. I got my new X-COM and it wasn't this. Let history be judge of what will be remembered. I still say the idea of a central protagonist who's death is a fail state is anathema to the core of X-COM's greatness.

Well, I make the pussy purr with the stroke of my hand
They know they gettin' it from me
They know just where to go when they need their lovin' man
They know I'm doin' it for free

I give them cat scratch fever...

...DAMN YOU!

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
i am really excited about this game i liked enemy unknown (even if i did get it thinking it was this one (damn you GMG and your ridiculously good deals and my not thinking when impulse buying)) and this game looks pretty cool too i was worried that it had been killed somewhere along the way quiet like by some sort of stealthy assassin or corporate executive or other type of evil psycho killer

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
I'll stick with Xcom: Enemy Unknown and Aliens: Colonial Marines (when it comes out) so I'll give this a skip.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
trty00 said:
Good. I thought the game looked interesting, and I'm glad it's still on track.

Oh wait, I forgot, any game in a franchise that doesn't follow the exact same formula time and time again is instantly god-awful! How silly of me!
It has to have enough in common: either in gameplay, plot or game world. If you make something completely different, why not just give it a new name?

This game is completely different in gameplay, and apart from being about aliens invading earth, doesn't have much to do with the plot of previous X-COM games, and the game world is completely different due to the new time period and completely different aliens.

For many people, including myself, this game doesn't seem to have enough in common with previous X-COM games. If they wouldn't have named it XCOM, nobody would have a problem with it.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
trty00 said:
This might sound harsh, but... too bad. Seriously, how are we going to get anywhere if we spend all our time curtailing to EXACTLY what fans want?
How are we going to get anywhere when you have to rebuild your fan-base from scratch because you pissed off the existing fan-base?

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
trty00 said:
Doom972 said:
trty00 said:
Good. I thought the game looked interesting, and I'm glad it's still on track.

It has to have enough in common: either in gameplay, plot or game world. If you make something completely different, why not just give it a new name?

This game is completely different in gameplay, and apart from being about aliens invading earth, doesn't have much to do with the plot of previous X-COM games, and the game world is completely different due to the new time period and completely different aliens.

For many people, including myself, this game doesn't seem to have enough in common with previous X-COM games. If they wouldn't have named it XCOM, nobody would have a problem with it.
Or, you know, you could... just ignore it completely and not get upset over something so trivial. This game does not instantly negate the existence of the previous titles, so go play those.
It seems that people like to assume that because I take the time to provide my insight, I'm upset. I'm not. Just procrastinating and using this forum as an excuse to not do anything productive between gaming sessions.

It's just that people don't appreciate these efforts to get their money by using a brand name and not delivering what is expected of a product of that brand. Tolerating this sort of business practice encourages companies to use it. If it bothers you that much that people care about it, you can always follow your own advice and ignore it and read another post.