Yahtzee Chats Comics and Mumorpugers in Mogworld Interview

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Yahtzee Chats Comics and Mumorpugers in Mogworld Interview

Sharp-tongued Brit critic "Yahtzee" Croshaw talks about his upcoming MMORPG-themed novel Mogworld [http://www.amazon.com/Mogworld-Yahtzee-Croshaw/dp/1595825290/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1282153806&sr=1-1]: The journey from game maker to novelist, what comics he wants to see become games, and what he wants to change in games forever.

Internet denizens know Yahtzee best as the caustic-mouthed reviewer who tears games apart with a good tongue-lashing in the popular Zero Punctuation video series, but back in October we were proud to announce that the man himself had signed a deal with Dark Horse ComicsAlliance [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95677-EXCLUSIVE-Dark-Horse-Books-Announces-Ben-Yahtzee-Croshaws-Debut-Novel-Mogworld], Croshaw talked about where the book's influences had come from: a dalliance with World of Warcraft.

[blockquote]I played World of Warcraft for a few months a couple of years back, and I remember being quite intrigued by the way the world was absolutely full of backstory -- it having followed on from all the Warcraft strategy games, after all -- but no more story could be created because of the MMO format. You kill a monster, complete a quest, pick a herb, and it all comes right back for the next guy. On top of that, time is frozen; no one ages or gets born, and nothing ever really changes. So I got to thinking: What would it be like to live in a place like that? Would a Warcraft character remember a time back in the RTS [real-time strategy] days when things weren't like this? Would they suspect a conspiracy? And when they die, and they saw those weird angel things that bring you back to life, would they think they were in on it?[/blockquote]

Jim, the protagonist - who is wrenched back to life by a renegade necromancer sixty years after his death - is a NPC in this world, elaborated Yahtzee, and so part of the humor in the book comes from the narrator (and reader) "seeing odd behavior that the reader recognizes as game-related." We may say "LF4M ICC10, need DPS" and know exactly what we're doing by blowing all of our gold on armor and repairs, but someone without that knowledge would see all of our avatars as crazy, no?

The fit with Dark Horse publishing is only natural, muses Yahtzee, given the overlap between gamer geek culture and comic geek culture, possibly "because games and comics are both highly visual media, or because gamers and comic readers are both generally seen as huge nerds." If given the chance to work further with Dark Horse following Mogworld - to transform a game into a comic - the Brit with the Sweet Hat said he'd like to do Prototype [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/789-Prototype], just to make fun of the bizarre double standard between gameplay and story: "I'd write a comic about a determined, heroic-sounding man who talks about finding justice for the people who wronged him, and who then runs outside and piledrives an old lady fifty storeys into concrete. Then eats her."

But beyond being a critic and author, Yahtzee is a gamer - and when asked what he wanted to see vanish from gaming forever, said surprisingly that it was not the dreaded Quick Time Event nor the brown graphics filter, but crappy writing. "I'd like to make it mandatory for current-gen games to hire a writer. Like, a real one, not just a programmer who joined a poetry circle last week. You'd think with the team sizes and massive amounts of money getting thrown around on big game projects these days, they could bring in at least one person who knows what decent dialogue sounds like." Even games that Yahtzee praised quite highly - like Batman: Arkham Asylum - are guilty of this, and it's something he'd like to change if he had the power.

Maybe, over time, he will. To read the full interview with Yahtzee Croshaw, head on over to ComicsAlliance [http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/01/05/ben-yahtzee-croshaw-talks-about-his-debut-novel-mogworld/]

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
It's refreshing to see someone with intelligence, talent & humor get published in a world of Dan Brown wannabes and Stephenie Meyer fan girls.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:
It's refreshing to see someone with intelligence, talent & humor get published in a world of Dan Brown wannabes and Stephenie Meyer fan girls.
Most agreed. Reading through the interview now, intresting stuff at the very least. Gotta love Yahtzee and his very classy brand of humour

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
A book that is pretty much focused at gamers.....written by a gamer.

I'm looking quite forward to this.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
This could be a very interesting read, especially from the stand point of "OMG A GAME BOOK BY YAHTZEE!!!"

I'm curious certainly, but then again Yahtzee isn't master of all so it may just be a nice effort but no cigar, but we'll see. I do like some of his articals on his website which no one visits.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
I am most certainly intrigued. And as an ex-WoW player, I can quietly sit down and giggle at the jokes of the MMO world. And yes, we need real writer for games. I couldn't agree more. QTE's I can live with. Brown graphics I can manage. But nothing has made me not return to a game more than horrible stories. There's a reason we have stories in games. So the entertainment value stays longer than 5 minutes, and possibly make us cry in the end over our favorite characters going dead-sies.

Most stories are so bland and cliché that you think that anyone could get a job as a writer. I could write a novel, release it secretly to good judges, then not release it, and hand it to a developer so he could release a game with better story than most uninspiring sloth-driven games. (Yes, I am getting all up on my high horse, thank you very much). We need people who should be writing novels. Kidnap them if you must, but get them to write the story, not the monkey in the closet. Hell, I can draw a pentagram in my own blood, and we can all resurrect Robert Jordan (writer of the Wheel of Time).

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Oh Yahtzee, you and your in game story's. I would get it, looks very interesting.

Asturiel

the God of Pants
Nov 24, 2009
To be honest, Ill probably forget it exists. Then either find it online to read and steal it or buy it. Both are equally likely.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I've played several of Yahtzee's AGS games (the 1213 and Trilby series) and he does have a rather interesting style of storytelling. It'll be enlightening to see what sort of story he's put together here.

[small]Plus maybe I'll FINALLY finish my novel. Or build a castle out of writer's blocks.[/small]

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
I think they already made a Prototype comic.

Edit: Yep they did. Came out in April.

http://comics.ign.com/articles/969/969022p1.html

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Totally agree, can't wait to read this, sounds awesome.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
But beyond being a critic and author, Yahtzee is a gamer - and when asked what he wanted to see vanish from gaming forever, said surprisingly that it was not the dreaded Quick Time Event nor the brown graphics filter, but crappy writing. "I'd like to make it mandatory for current-gen games to hire a writer. Like, a real one, not just a programmer who joined a poetry circle last week. You'd think with the team sizes and massive amounts of money getting thrown around on big game projects these days, they could bring in at least one person who knows what decent dialogue sounds like." Even games that Yahtzee praised quite highly - like Batman: Arkham Asylum - are guilty of this, and it's something he'd like to change if he had the power
Yeah, a game development team hiring a writer, someone with actual talent and skill in making a sotry, brilliant.

Yeah, game companies really should hire someone with skill in writing if they're to make games with any sort of story, successful professional screenwriters would be a good option to most development teams, Authors are also a smart idea. heck, if they have to, they could even take a video game fan fiction writer, though that might be a desparate act.

Aunel

May 9, 2008
This would be awesome as an audio book, recorded by Yahtzee himself.

if the book is any good of course.