Yahtzee Wrote a Book

HuCast

Aug 18, 2006
afaceforradio said:
addeB said:
Wait a second... Can Yahtzze write?
He's a journalist (and no, I don't just mean ZP) so I should hope so! ;o)

Reminds me alot of Terry Pratchett, I reckon it'll be worth a read.

Video game journalist.
Totally different cup of tea ;)

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Meh. That wasn't all that great. And not being all that great isn't a great selling point.

Also, totally not funny.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
I read the first few "pages" before realizing it wasn't for me, the writing style just doesn't flow - it was really clunky and difficult to read - furthermore, it just wasn't funny - which is odd because I find most of Yahtzee's written work on his site to be hilarious. I'll give the extract another go sometime, if only to confirm I was right, but I won't be getting this - not that I was planning to anyway.

It's a shame because the concept is really interesting, as is some of the content presented.

UtopiaV1

Feb 8, 2009
Did you know you could pre-order it from Amazon.com and Amazon rain forest?

Well you can pre-order it from Amazon.com and Amazonian warrior-women.

afaceforradio

Jul 29, 2009
HuCast said:
afaceforradio said:
addeB said:
Wait a second... Can Yahtzze write?
He's a journalist (and no, I don't just mean ZP) so I should hope so! ;o)

Reminds me alot of Terry Pratchett, I reckon it'll be worth a read.

Video game journalist.
Totally different cup of tea ;)
He used to write for PC Gamer - how is that kind if journalism (as in, ability to form intelligible sentences) any different from another kind of journalism?

sln333

Jun 22, 2009
I'm currently reading his first one, Articulate Jim: A Search for Something, and it's good so maybe I'll get this.

jVictor

Mar 23, 2010
Looks like something that's going onto my "must read" list before the summer ends.

Metal Brother

Jan 4, 2010
Skoldpadda said:
Metal Brother said:
NOOOO!!!

No to the spoiler (sample chapter) that is.
Dude, it's chapter two.
Yeah, that was in the original article. Got it. I just don't want to read a subset of the book weeks before I can read the whole thing.

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
Soylent Bacon said:
He's entertaining, but not worth paying for, especially if it's full of MMO references I won't get.
I'm still going to pick it up and read it, I mean, it's Yahtzee, c'mon!

However, I, too, share your concern for it being full of missed MMO references as I've played very few (mostly City of Villains/Heroes, but that was some time ago) and when I did I often didn't get all the slang.

As for it being in 1st-person, I love that. One of my favorite novel series', The Dresden Files (by Jim Butcher) is written in 1st-person and they're great. So few stories are written this way so I find I enjoy them all the more (except for Kat Richardson's "Greywalker", which I recently read and loathed.)

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
SteelStallion said:
zombie711 said:
did you know that you can preorder it form amazon.com and amazon.co.uk?
Well, you can order it from amazon.com and amazon.co.uk!
Do you mean to tell me that you can preorder Yahtzee's book from amazon.com and amazon.co.uk?

More to the point though I would pay good money for an unabridged audiobook (read by the author). I have very little time to actually read sadly. Though due to the all the travel my job affords me I have tons of time for audiobooks. In the last year Ive listened to all 14 Wheel of Time books, all 4 of the Song of Ice and Fire books, and am currently on the third book of the Mistborn trilogy.

Skoldpadda

Jan 13, 2010
Metal Brother said:
Skoldpadda said:
Metal Brother said:
NOOOO!!!

No to the spoiler (sample chapter) that is.
Dude, it's chapter two.
Yeah, that was in the original article. Got it. I just don't want to read a subset of the book weeks before I can read the whole thing.

Oh well, it's a handy way of trying before buying.

I, for the record, have decided not to buy. The writing feels too awkward. But I wish the man much success. God knows there's far worse things out there making a mint.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
OANST said:
soren7550 said:
Eh, I can say I've read worse. Maybe I only don't like it so much because I don't have much of a clue as to what's going on.

Would I say I've written better? Probably, but he's published and I'm not so Mr. Croshaw has already one-uped me in the field of writing right there.
Being published doesn't necessarily have anything to do with talent, and prestige should not be handed out because of it. He has an established fan base, and he's writing genre work. Both of which make it far, far easier to get published.

I've also read worse, but that doesn't change the fact that the little snippet we were given is really, really bad.
I don't think it's particularly bad, it's just that I couldn't really get into it and I'm not entirely sure what the story is. Yes I know it's supposed to be life in an MMO or something along the lines of that, but why is Jim undead? Why is he following that girl around (or is it visa versa)? It would probably help if I've read the first chapter, but I still don't find it all that engaging so far.

But what do I know? Maybe it gets a million times better in the next chapter. But so far, I just think it's ok with some ok humor.