Yakuza 4 Will Have Over 6 Hours of Cutscenes

Chazz16

Feb 1, 2011
6 hours...really?
i mean that's when a game stops being a game and starts being a movie.
maybe they forgot that games are supposed to have "interactive storytelling" and not just story telling.

ehh what ever I'll just skip all the cutscene anyway ^_^

LesIsMore

Jul 22, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
In related news, the Unskippable team has not been seen since the announcement.
When a game promises six hours of cutscenes, it's almost like they're asking Graham and Paul to spend an entire month on it.

Cheefa_Da_Reefa

Jun 18, 2010
oreopizza47 said:
Cheefa_Da_Reefa said:
i cant get enough yakuza i wish my ps3 worked :( and i really hope the release (if ever) that samurai style one
Samurai style? Genji? Genji was awesome, and I did hear about a PS3 sequel a while back... I wonder if that will ever happen.
no not genji (btw awesome game) is a yakuza game set in the samurai period i just dont remenber the name

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
You know what I look forward to? The day when we get a headline with a publisher boasting about how their latest, greatest, AAA title has 0 hours of cutscenes.

0 Minutes would be better, but given that even New Super Mario Brothers Wii had a minute or two of them, I'd settle for it being measured in hours.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Oh well, six hours isn't all that bad(if the game is really long >.<). I rather enjoy the cutscenes in Yakuza 3. It's the orphanage sections I want to get rid of.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
direkiller said:
why is this considered a good thing
your missing the point of a game if 1/4 to 1/3 of the thing is cutscenes
I think it might be getting out of hand, for example, I beat MGS4 in 13 hours, that includes dicking around time, with cutsenes being about 8 hours. I'm honestly surprised nobody put a reasonable limit on this sort of thing. Sure it's only a few games that are REALLY long winded, but that doesn't mean there can't be some kind of security.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
HankMan said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
A Yakuza April wouldn't be so bad.
Hey, It beats three plus days of Desert Bus.
Are you kidding? Nothing can possibly beat desert bus's gameplay time and replay value, not even cutscenes that are sure to be really long winded.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Chazz16 said:
6 hours...really?
i mean that's when a game stops being a game and starts being a movie.
maybe they forgot that games are supposed to have "interactive storytelling" and not just story telling.

ehh what ever I'll just skip all the cutscene anyway ^_^
I want to see a game that when you skip the opening you get the credits, along with the "Finished the game" Achievement, just to screw with the player.

Mitsurugi_Reiji

May 20, 2010
It says "will have" but it "HAS" as its been out for nearly a year in Japan. Still need to get the plat on it though lol.

Demodeus

Sep 20, 2010
why do games take pride in how long their cutscenes are?
i thought they were supposed to be games, why would they want to be movies..(quote: "It can only end in frustration.")

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
So what's the difference from others "Yakuza"?
Don't they all have lot's hours of cutscene? Yakuza is "go there-cutscene-timetokickass-cutscene-repeat till you beat the game"

CO_Fimbulvetr

Dec 18, 2009
In previous interviews I've seen the developers said that the only things that wouldn't make it were things like the quiz mini game (which wouldn't work very well in English).

The samurai themed (specifically the Edo period) Yakuza game had the subtitle "Kenzan!"

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
..not sure if it's all that much, really. If it's similar to Yakuza 3, then all the cutscenes will be rendered in the game-engine (with the neat face and lip-syncing tech they use to help animate emotion, and so on). About.. 1/3 of it will be interactive. And happen in the middle of a fight, done in a way that make the scenes more interesting (and less hectic to play) than a continuous boss-fight would be.. It's not really "cutscenes" at all, basically..

No.. I don't think 6 hours of cutscenes is a problem. What takes time in the Yakuza games is reading through all the dialogue (with the pop-up boxes). The story-telling that doesn't have voice-acting, and just the generic "talk" animation stances - this can quickly become boring (even though the story is well written).

So if it actually has more cutscenes than Yakuza 3, then that's probably a good thing. If we go by the demo (..which probably still possible to fish from the Nippon store), the reason why it has more cutscenes is that the transitions happen in more real distances, and are tied together in more thoroughly animated scenes. I.e., instead of just fading to black and seeing a car drive off while spawning someone outside a building - you'll get the entire scene, with exiting and entering, suspicious looks, etc. With a good opportunity to drop a few extra Yakuza film tropes in between.

Most likely will be a very fun game to play..

..uh.. if anyone wants to read a review of Yakuza 3, I've written a small treatise on it here:
http://www.honestgamers.com/reviews/8769/Yakuza-3.html

It takes less time to read through than playing the game, though.

Darenus

Apr 10, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
In further news: The Escapist has set a bounty on the duo of John Graham and Paul Sanders (sorry if there was a typo) for being captured alive; The Reward is set to view the duo suffering live while they prepare their Yakuza 4 April Special; These rumors however have yet to be confirmed.

Seriously tho XD 6 hours is a great idea to snip up ;p Even if it's just 4 videos as oppose to the MGS August with 5 installments. DO WANT!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
HankMan said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
A Yakuza April wouldn't be so bad.
Hey, It beats three plus days of Desert Bus.
Yeah, but DB is for charity. ;)

Still, if they can suck that up.....

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
direkiller said:
why is this considered a good thing
your missing the point of a game if 1/4 to 1/3 of the thing is cutscenes
It wouldn't be a good thing if they substituted gameplay for cutscenes.
However (provided they don't completely butcher it like they did Yakuza 3), there should be a good amount & variety of gameplay.
There's no way I'm pre-ordering it but if the super-fanboys who played the import and the port concur that it is unchanged, I'll get it.