Yakuza 4 Will Have Over 6 Hours of Cutscenes

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
direkiller said:
why is this considered a good thing
your missing the point of a game if 1/4 to 1/3 of the thing is cutscenes
It wouldn't be a good thing if they substituted gameplay for cutscenes.
However (provided they don't completely butcher it like they did Yakuza 3), there should be a good amount & variety of gameplay.
There's no way I'm pre-ordering it but if the super-fanboys who played the import and the port concur that it is unchanged, I'll get it.
.. :/ You can read.. correct information.. about the removed content in the review ^ as well, if you want to.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
6 HOURS OF CUTSCENES!!!??? I think some people are forgetting which medium they're supposed to be working with.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
nipsen said:
GonzoGamer said:
direkiller said:
why is this considered a good thing
your missing the point of a game if 1/4 to 1/3 of the thing is cutscenes
It wouldn't be a good thing if they substituted gameplay for cutscenes.
However (provided they don't completely butcher it like they did Yakuza 3), there should be a good amount & variety of gameplay.
There's no way I'm pre-ordering it but if the super-fanboys who played the import and the port concur that it is unchanged, I'll get it.
.. :/ You can read.. correct information.. about the removed content in the review ^ as well, if you want to.
/ don't trust... virtually
everything you read.

They said Yakuza 3 would only be missing 3 minigames but by the time it hit shelves there was a whole lot more missing.

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
everything you read.

They said Yakuza 3 would only be missing 3 minigames but by the time it hit shelves there was a whole lot more missing.
Mm, well.. there's the massage parlor and the Hostess minigame, along with Shogi and Mahjong, plus the magazines in the stands. The rest is there, you know, as it was in the original.

I mean, I agree it's bad on principle - removing things for streamlining console-content is something we've seen before. And adjusting to the American market is something people do altogether too much of anyway. But if the choice was to pick between the content that could be translated quickly and get the release out - or else not having a release at all - then they did extremely well. It's not like the rest of the game is politically correct, to put it like that. And there's just too many side-quests and extra stuff around to do anyway.

Still - don't agree with SEGA USA's idea of "hiding" all Japanese characters, or removing anything with full picture views and in-game resources that had to be changed (if it was supposed to be localised). Same with the Hostess mini-game - it wouldn't have been difficult to roughly translate it using the Japanese honorifics, etc., without creating a manual of Japanese culture, mannerisms, etc., so you would "understand" it all, etc.

Same silliness that makes SEGA USA change the "Still Alive" victory prompt in Resonance of Fate to "VICTORY". ..I mean, seriously.. if you're going to localise things.. It's not always that changes make things more edible for the local market.. And you can't pass off Yakuza as taking place in a generic city either - it's in Japan, Tokyo, period.

So, obviously very happy that Yakuza 4 is going to be more complete. Still - as much as I dislike cuts, it's possible to understand what they did in Yakuza 3. It very clearly was not the usual publisher "criticism" going on here. They did a quick, but thorough, translation job.

--

The discussion to be had should probably be about whether to include foreign text, images, etc., if it's not translated but only implied what it means. Does it bring you out of the experience, if you realize they're not actually speaking in English..? After all, they're talking in Japanese already.. so.. And I suppose that once upon a time, seeing Japanese characters would have Americans up in arms, and stop them from buying the title. But... aren't we past that kind of thing now..?

Mr. Socky

Apr 22, 2009
Dragon Age 2's 2 hours of cutscenes sounded like a lot (plus, I can't remember if cutscenes include interactive dialogue) but geez. 6 hours of completely un-interactive cutscenes? Ew.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
nipsen said:
GonzoGamer said:
everything you read.

Mm, well.. there's the massage parlor and the Hostess minigame, along with Shogi and Mahjong, plus the magazines in the stands. The rest is there, you know, as it was in the original.

I mean, I agree it's bad on principle - removing things for streamlining console-content is something we've seen before. And adjusting to the American market is something people do altogether too much of anyway. But if the choice was to pick between the content that could be translated quickly and get the release out - or else not having a release at all - then they did extremely well. It's not like the rest of the game is politically correct, to put it like that. And there's just too many side-quests and extra stuff around to do anyway.

Still - don't agree with SEGA USA's idea of "hiding" all Japanese characters, or removing anything with full picture views and in-game resources that had to be changed (if it was supposed to be localised). Same with the Hostess mini-game - it wouldn't have been difficult to roughly translate it using the Japanese honorifics, etc., without creating a manual of Japanese culture, mannerisms, etc., so you would "understand" it all, etc.

Same silliness that makes SEGA USA change the "Still Alive" victory prompt in Resonance of Fate to "VICTORY". ..I mean, seriously.. if you're going to localise things.. It's not always that changes make things more edible for the local market.. And you can't pass off Yakuza as taking place in a generic city either - it's in Japan, Tokyo, period.

So, obviously very happy that Yakuza 4 is going to be more complete. Still - as much as I dislike cuts, it's possible to understand what they did in Yakuza 3. It very clearly was not the usual publisher "criticism" going on here. They did a quick, but thorough, translation job.

--

The discussion to be had should probably be about whether to include foreign text, images, etc., if it's not translated but only implied what it means. Does it bring you out of the experience, if you realize they're not actually speaking in English..? After all, they're talking in Japanese already.. so.. And I suppose that once upon a time, seeing Japanese characters would have Americans up in arms, and stop them from buying the title. But... aren't we past that kind of thing now..?
I don't care, I actually wouldn't mind if the thing was completely subtitled with Japanese language now that it actually looks like what they're saying.

Back to my original point: That?s what they originally stated but after lauch I heard all sorts of things about additional cuts: sidequests and crap like that.
I?m not sure I can also give them the benefit of the doubt. I feel like all those cuts were to just save money and all that.

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
..well, I've played both the versions. I've checked. The things that are missing is the (very)short list I made earlier. Everything else - including side-quests you will very likely not see - are translated. What's missing is the batch of things that would involve creating extra content/rules explanations, as well as new art-assets.

Take Mahjong for example. The actual rules (not the entire "match pairs" rules) are ridiculously complex, even if you knew all the letters, know Japanese, as well as have played Mahjong many times before. It's not an easy game. So if you have the choice between just putting it in there for the sake of having it... that kind of doesn't make sense. It really would take you out of the game. ..And if you wanted it to be explained, then you needed a tutorial, and extra content on top of what's already in the game. That's a completely different thing than localisation, and it would take a long time to do it.

Does the same thing, to some extent, apply for the Hostess game - yes. If you want an experience where the player isn't going to see something that breaks the illusion of "being able to speak Japanese". Then being dumped into a place where it's expected you know how to "behave" in Japanese culture - is going to seem out of place. And, if it actually needed extra content for explanations - then we would be talking about a different process than just localisation again..

I rarely miss an opportunity to hate publishers for stupid choices - but this isn't an example of that.