Yakuza 5 Devs Have No Plans For Western Release

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Yakuza 5 Devs Have No Plans For Western Release

While there are no immediate plans for a Yakuza 5 localization, creator Toshihiro Nagoshi would love to see it localized "someday".

At this year's Tokyo Game Show, Yakuza spin-off Ryu Ga Gotoku: Isshin was quite possibly the most popular non-western game on display. But despite its immediate popularity, and the general popularity other Yakuza games have seen in the west, the chances of it, and the previously released Yakuza 5 getting an English localization is pretty low.

When asked if he had plans to localize Yakuza 5 for the West, series creator Toshihiro Nagoshi said, "We don't have a plan for that at the moment. The Yakuza Studio team is a fixed size, and we have to choose between forging ahead with the next game or localising the one that just came out." He said that he chose to forge ahead with Isshin rather than localize Yakuza 5, which doesn't bode well for English speaking fans of either game.

But, he didn't entirely rule out a future localization of his games, stating "I'd definitely love to reach the whole world [with Yakzua 5], haha, if we have the manpower and the money to do it."

Nagoshi was asked why he thinks there are so many western fans of the Yakuza series, to which he replied: "I think they're the kind of enthusiasts who like to experience something new. I don't think it's necessarily because they're interested in Japan; the games have such a mix of essences, even to a Japanese player, and I think it's that mix that appeals to people overseas. It's not that they like the content or the battle system or the drama; it's the mixed-up street-festival atmosphere that grabs them."

Thankfully, the PS4 doesn't have any kind of region-locking, so if you want to play Ryu Ga Gotoku: Isshin on it's release but don't live in Japan, time to hit up an import site and get yourself a phrasebook!

Source: Edge Online [http://www.edge-online.com/features/an-audience-with-toshihiro-nagoshi/]

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
The team that makes the game is the same one that localizes it? Let a fan do it for free or something, you know people would line up to do it.

Wasted money and upset fans for no reason.

Also,

its intimidate popularity
More powerful than intimate, it's intimidate.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
Berny Marcus said:
Is it time to worry about Atlus being bought by Sega Sammy now?
no since there isn't any signs of a fire just yet

mysecondlife said:
Sigh, I might have to learn Japanese eventually...
you might as well learn it if you can anyway since we're missing out on some other games

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
But.. I really..

Gotta go learn japanese now..

I really wanted this! >_< I love the Yakuza series.. And was looking forward to the idol aspect as well.

Damn it!

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
That actually makes me sad. Yakuza 3 and 4 were among my favourite games of this generation. Yakuza 5 looks fantastic, i can't imagine why they don't localize it.

odolwa99

May 11, 2013
Literally finished Yakuza 3 just the other day, so I was looking forward to this. Disappointing news, indeed.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
I love the Yakuza games, Yakuza 4 is actually one of my top games of 2011.

The game should stick with Japanese audio with English subtitles, that's always been the better approach with the Yakuza games and they shouldn't change that now.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Eh and consider they use the same city for the past 4 games to ;p.

Get off your butts and do the damn localization. I bought project diva to support them.

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
Berny Marcus said:
No, because Sega and Atlus are pretty much self-managing under their parent company. Also because Yakuza likely cost a lot more money to make these days than most of what Atlus is making.

I do wish we would one of the Ryu Ga Gotoku spinoffs for once though, Way of the Samurai is more or less the same concept but on a lower budget and that's been successful enough to get three sequels launched stateside.

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
Cybylt said:
Berny Marcus said:
No, because Sega and Atlus are pretty much self-managing under their parent company. Also because Yakuza likely cost a lot more money to make these days than most of what Atlus is making.

I do wish we would one of the Ryu Ga Gotoku spinoffs for once though, Way of the Samurai is more or less the same concept but on a lower budget and that's been successful enough to get three sequels launched stateside.
Sega owns ATLUS, not just SEGA Sammy. Sammy put ATLUS under the SEGA everyone means control when they bought them.
As a subsidiary now called Sega Dream, meaning the Atlus guys who were in charge under Index management are the very same guys in charge under Sega. No real change going on in the end and no real oversight or direct management on the part of Sega. Just stocks.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I have actively tried to enjoy the latest Yakuza titles... but the fricken cutscenes are way too long. These dev's need to learn the benefits of cutting content so that players don't get bored and turn off the game. I really don't wanna play another game where I can make a sandwich, eat it, wash hands and still have to wait out the cutscene/animation... (the first time it happened was a quadra-magic counter Master Summon Knights of the Round cast in FF7, yes I know it can't be done normally but MC+QM+MS= small chance of KOTRx4, suffice to say it was a long day for me).

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
" It's not that they like the content or the battle system or the drama" - you hear that, none of you like any of it. Guy sounds like a total arse.

Perhaps it's better that his income is appropriately reduced.