Yay or Nay: An RTS/FPS online game.

Jarc42

Feb 26, 2009
Online RTS games are hard to do because of the massive bandwidth required.

Plus, to have the ability to manage armies of live players on massive scales would require an amazing and efficient clan system.

If it could be pulled off, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

MattyDienhoff

Jan 3, 2008
This was done as a mod for Operation Flashpoint called "capture the island". The gameplay is much like the idea you describe, but the commander is a soldier on the ground too, not some ghost up in the sky. Each side has eleven player slots (one of which is that side's commander, the rest are squad leaders), and the commander has a special vehicle called the mobile HQ from which he can build facilities to produce men, weapons and vehicles.

It can be played with any mixture of human and AI players. It was quite a success as it quickly became the most popular game mode.

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
There are dozens of mods for the Quake and Half-Life serieseses that use this concept (having one player on each team be the commander, with an RTS interface). None has ever tempted me into trying it.

Death916

Apr 21, 2008
i've thought about this before too. BUt the only problem i see is people not listening to the commander. Something would have to be worked out like a punishment or insubordination or something.