Yes I smoke.. So I'm the devil now?

LackofCertainty

Apr 14, 2009
I have friends who smoke, and I do enjoy taking a few puffs from a good cigar when at a party, provided that it tastes good. (One of my friends has really good taste in cigars, but the other one is a bit of a craps shoot)

Smoking is a horrible habit, and of course people are going to look down on you for it. It's one of the few legitimately bad things that you can do to yourself and to those around you that isn't outlawed here in the states. If I saw someone standing outside on the street, chugging a bottle of vodka, I'd probably give them dirty looks too. If I saw someone shooting heroin in the alley.... well I'd hurry my ass along, but if I were a braver, bigger man, then I'd give them dirty looks too.

As people have said though, it doesn't matter to me unless you do it near me.

Edit: Also, if you're a smoker and haven't gotten your Warriors for Satan pamphlet yet, then clearly there's been a mix-up in hell's HR department. Sacrifice a goat and I'm sure they'll get you kitted out properly.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Kwil said:
You don't rely on any kind of socialized medical system? No medicaid or medicare or whatnot, but just your own private insurance? You don't smoke where other people will wind up breathing it in? Go to town.

Otherwise, it's inconsiderate of the other people who'll have to pay for your addiction.
Seriously? I'll stop making people pay for my future cancer when I stop having to pay for other people's poor lifestyle choices. At least cigarettes are taxed through the roof- I'm basically paying for myself. Fatty McMuffin and Freewheel Joe, on the other hand, drain the health system that I pay for while contributing nothing through their bad choices. What about those dickheads that go to the beach every weekend during the summer and stay for hours without reapplying sunscreen? I'm paying for their skin cancer. No one calls them out.

Now please stop being absurd and greedy and realise that you are paying for loads of avoidable ailments when you implement national health programs. I personally thrive on being demonised, but I know lots of great people who smoke, and saying they're less deserving of medical attention than your (hypothetical) fat cousin is just rude.

Mariakko

Nov 21, 2011
I'm not a smoker although I have puffed a cigarette before and although I know the consequences of smoking I love the smell and taste of the smoke. I see nothing wrong with smokers as long as they're considerate.

Eomega123

Jan 4, 2011
As far as I'm concerned, everybody has the right to kill themselves at whatever rate they deem appropriate.

Talshere

Jan 27, 2010
Yeah, I hate smoking. Its a nasty habbit. Even if you ignore the health side effects, which as a UK citizen puts extreme strain on the NHS for something people chose to kill themselves with, its stinks. Some are worse then others but none of them small good and there is no way you cant inflict that smoke on others.

If you truly smoke for the taste jack in the cancer sticks and pick up a cigar. There is less washing up powder in them and they taste and smell far nicer. Some of the very expensive ones smell like perfume.

No offence dude, but in my experience generally anyone claiming they smoke cos they like the taste do it for the nicotine. Im not guna lie the nicotine rush it nice but just in monetary value they arnt worth it. (Working in a corner shop killed any inkling I had to smoke :p So much money down the pan, alcohol is nearly as bad)

Are you evil, no, are you inconsiderate? Yeah, sorry.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Kwil said:
Obesity wasn't the only example I gave. I also used the example of people who take unnecessary risks or make other poor lifestyle decisions. My point is that it's absurd and stupid to say that people who "bring it upon themselves" shouldn't use the healthcare system. Loads of people are admitted to hospital for having unsafe sex, eating poorly (though not necessarily being fat because of it), standing in the sun, not standing in the sun, hurting themselves because they are either stupid or uncoordinated. The list goes on. We have national healthcare systems in place to help these people, not say "fuck you, this is what you get for doing something I wouldn't do." You're probably never going to earn enough to get taxed very highly anyway so I don't see what you're worried about.

Thinking fat people and other "risk-takers" shouldn't get government assistance when paying for their hospital bill doesn't make you less of an asshole. It makes you a bigger one. I guess it was unfair of me to presume you were a decent person who may have simply had a small double standard when it came to smokers. My mistake. Although it's good to come across people like you occasionally to remind me why I like blowing smoke in people's faces so much.

Also, I don't ever remember asking for your opinion. Someone else made this thread, and threads are made to promote discussion. You need people to disagree in order for there to be discussion.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
nbamaniac said:
I EDIT: No, I never "smoke people in the face", I consider it rude anyway and don't worry I strictly follow "no Smoking" policies. I'm also pretty much aware that we stink. Yeah I'm a dirty bastard blabla. I'm just disappointed at the fact that people here in our area don't use THESE as their reasons but rather rely on a defective moral crapfest.
You are not the devil so long as you do not force non-smokers to deal with your smoke. I wonder if you are one of those people that smoke right at the entrance to a building. I only ask because I think those people are the devil. I almost died when I was a kid from an asthma attack just by walking past one of those people by the entrance to Wal-Mart. I got better and outgrew my asthma, but I still think it is a dick move to smoke where non-smokers have to deal with it.

Other than that it is your body, screw it up however you see fit as long as it doesn't affect me.

AngryBritishAce

Feb 19, 2010
Meh... I don't care if people do smoke, however I automatically think they are arseholes the moment they try smoking near me. Honestly smokers are so inconsiderate some times. A friend of mine was talking to me and he lit up a ciggy, the moment he lit it I just went and stood about 30 metres away from him. It's rank I can't stand it's smell...

Kurokasumi

Aug 11, 2009
Smoking is just another thing I follow my same little right of mind for. If that's what you're into, by all means, I really don't care. The same thing goes with people being "Furries" or having other strange fetishes and/or habits (lol @ being brony and saying that). It's your thing, you enjoy it, go ahead, I could care less.
However;

When I do care, is when you/anyone, tries to force it on me or go out of their way to cause me to notice it or be harmed or irritated by it.
Example, posting nude anthropomorphic(sp?) foxes and skunks on forums where it doesn't belong, without a spoiler tag or forewarning of what it contains. Even if I were to post a My Little Pony: FiM demotivational picture, I would probably spoiler tag it, as well it would just be a captioned picture for a joke. Nothing that can't be un-seen. And even then, I always keep them in the MLP fanclub thing. (aside from my avatar.)

Staying on topic, if you smoke, ok that's cool. If you smoke like the jerks do (well did until I made a complaint to head office) in the truck I ride in to get transported from sites for my work, with the windows up and literally a cig every single time we get in, your hobby or whatever you want to call it, is now causing me health risks. This is where I have a problem. I commend you for following smoking policies. However there are a lot who don't.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
personally I hate smoking in all forms, just because I get very bad asthma. Besides smoking kills lungs and I like mine

HalfBakedCheeto

Aug 20, 2011
You kinda sound like me, i also love Malboro and have been smoking for around two years. And i enjoy the taste aswell. o3o But i honestly have no idea why people hate it so much, it's like, beer smells horrible to me, but i'm fine with that because i respect other people, plus most people who drink would probably punch me if i stayed away from them because of the smell. All in all, if people think badly of people who smoke just because they smoke, then they're dicks.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
HalfBakedCheeto said:
You kinda sound like me, i also love Malboro and have been smoking for around two years. And i enjoy the taste aswell. o3o But i honestly have no idea why people hate it so much, it's like, beer smells horrible to me, but i'm fine with that because i respect other people, plus most people who drink would probably punch me if i stayed away from them because of the smell. All in all, if people think badly of people who smoke just because they smoke, then they're dicks.
Yeah I can't stand the smell of beer either. Although the one thing that really aggravates me is people covered in so much scent (perfume,deodorant, or whatever) that it's practically a cloud of fumes following them around, at least you can see smoke and take steps to avoid it.

T-004

Mar 26, 2008
To all those using the "smoking makes you stink" excuse, try body spray and chewing gum.

I just find the Internet Tough Guys hilarious. "If you lit up and I told you to put it out but you didn't then we'd have a problem, which I would end" and other such bollocks as that.

I bet most of these guys would just stand there and take their passive smoke like a good little *****.

Anywho the point I want to make is this, if you take issue with my smoking and act like a dick about it then you may expect my displeasure and complete disregard for anything you say. If however you treat me with a modicum of respect and are polite then I will generally be amenable to your request to put it out or move somewhere else.

Spiny Norman

May 24, 2009
Prejudice against smokers is one of the few prejudices that is acceptable in public. Some may argue that fat people prejudice is still acceptable but if that is the case it is still much less acceptable than smoking prejudice. People feel justified saying that smokers are either stupid or low class. For example smokers are far less likely to get a job than a non smoker even if the smoker has otherwise much better health, so this is not a case of employers trying to lower health premiums. People are much more likely to rate smokers as being less intelligent regardless of actual intelligence of the smoker. I believe that people think that since smokers are engaging in a practice that is undoubtedly bad for their health, that they must be stupid. This lends an air of self-righteousness to some people who are personally critical of smokers.

I am sympathetic to arguments of second hand smoke in closed areas or otherwise areas that non-smokers cannot leave or could only leave with significant interruption in their daily activities. However walking down the street or in an area that is free of entrances and exits as well as other areas that people are forced to go through, smokers should be allowed to do as they please. However, I am not moved by the argument from smell. Many practices smell to different people. One poster said that those drinking had an undesirable smell. Some people choose to ingest food that others find repulsive both in terms of smell and taste. The problem is that the determination of whether or not a smell is good or bad depends on the one doing the smelling. Just because a significant number of people think the smell of smoke is undesirable does not give justification for insinuations about the character of smokers or a right to determine where these people who one does not like the smell of may stand (ie. not next to someone on a bus, train etc.).

In summation smokers should not be able to significantly affect others with their second hand smoke if others cannot reasonable remove themselves from the area without significant effort. However, people disliking the smell does not give them carte blanche to make insinuations about smokers' intelligence, life choices, or whatever prejudices that people may have about smokers.

T-004

Mar 26, 2008
@ Talshere:

Did you not pay attention or were you just too busy being so great?

Cigarettes are sold at approx 80% Tax, a very large portion of this tax contribution goes directly to the NHS.

This means that every smoker has more than paid for themselves within about 10 years. And will usually be covering the bill for about 5 other people within their average lifetime.

Do you contribute as much? Somehow I don't think so.

edit: was supposed to be a reply.