Yes, We Really Can Be Bribed With Cookies

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Yes, We Really Can Be Bribed With Cookies

[vimeo=21740694]We've been telling you for years that we can be bribed with a good batch of cookies, and one enterprising developer finally listened.

The Escapist gets hundreds of press releases in a given day, everything from new trailers, to screen shots, to mergers and demos. Being noticed in that crowd can be difficult, and people take different approaches to getting their particular game to stand out. Some try to be funny, (some actually succeed), some use "shocking" language, and some just hope the game speaks for itself. One enterprising indie developer, however, decided not to leave anything to chance and took the bold approach of bribery. Delicious, delicious bribery.

Jorge Rodriguez, President of Lunar Workshop, dropped off a package labeled "Attn: The Escapist" at our front desk. Inside was a batch of chocolate chip cookies and the following note:

Escapist Magazine,

We have your cookies. We have included their severed halves as proof.

Give us one article in Escapist about Digitanks and one guided tour of your headquarters or you will never see your cookies again.

--Lunar Workshop Team

According to a post on the Digitanks web site [http://www.digitanks.com/2011/05/04/the-cookie-caper/], Jorge got the idea after I mentioned at a conference that we could be bribed with cookies. He then went the extra step and got his mom to bake them. Well played, sir, well played.

I don't see the tour of HQ happening any time soon, but here's your post about Digitanks, Lunar Workshop. You earned it. Also, tell your mom the cookies were delicious.

Download the Digitanks demo [http://www.digitanks.com/] and you, too, may someday receive cookies baked by Jorge's mom. Hey, it could happen.

evilstonermonkey

Oct 26, 2009
I am shocked, shocked and disgusted. You have failed to uphold the high standards that are expected of online journalism. I'm afraid we are going to have to confiscate the cookies.

What do you mean they're all gone?

Well, I guess I should check out that game then... No reason I should leave empty handed...

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
This begs the question; are there enough cookies for the entire class? If not you can't eat them. The actual game doesn't look interesting to me, but kudos to them for the exposure.

Not G. Ivingname said:
Susan Arendt said:
You guys are weak.

You should of demanded bronies as well.
I think the fandom would object to this.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
I like how it's 1 part bribery, 1 part blackmail, and all parts delicious. I will be sure to check out the demo.

evilstonermonkey

Oct 26, 2009
I just read the "cookie caper" post you linked to... That was hilarious. Better written than most heist movies out there!

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Bribed with cookies? Inb4 Escapist members start sending you batches of cookies for whole articles devoted to themselves :p

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:
Susan Arendt said:
You guys are weak.

You should of demanded bronies as well.
Now, why would they want a bunch of internet dorks obsessed with a cartoon for little girls?

Hardly a valuable commodity.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Congratulations, Mr Rodriguez. For your ingenuity I will download your demo. Because that was pretty much the best thing I've read all week.

LadyMint

Apr 22, 2010
After reading this, and the blog on Digitanks' website:

http://www.digitanks.com/2011/05/04/the-cookie-caper/

I am infected with cute. You guys are awesome.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
An article for a mere batch of cookies? Hell, would I get that illusive tour of your headquarters (located deep underneath the Sea of Tranquility iirc) if I were to throw in a glass of milk as well? Or a pie? Everybody loves pie...

Alright, time to check out that game thingie...