You are killing PC gaming. (Updated)

Poomanchu745

Sep 11, 2009
I think people seriously overestimate the actual number of people that pirate games. Im guessing it would be closer to 5% and i bet even those buy certain games. PC games will always have better graphics and it is just easier to control and play most games on a PC. The keyboard and mouse are just superior to joysticks and 8 buttons or what not. I mean, blizzard would love to make WoW for a console to milk those kids as well but they can't because the controls are just better for a PC. IW and activision are just being lazy here and trying to take advantage of all the fanboys who they expect to buy their games regardless. I don't think they expected to lose all the fanboys...I know i jumped off that train a while back.

Ammadessi

Oct 6, 2009
You know what's killing PC games?

Developers that aren't putting the effort into it anymore.

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
TheDoctor455 said:
ma55ter_fett said:
I am a digital pirate, what of it?
You bastard.

HotFezz8 said:
fair enough, my pc is a laptop, therefore if i were to walk a game past it it would throw itself out the window and die.

i'm into 360, and honestly other than some RTS (the Total War series, i use it because i know it), flight sims, and maybe a handful of others i can't think of, computers aren't really designed to play games.

no, no... no shut up and let me finish. the only real advantage the PC has over the 360 or the PS3 (i refuse to call the Wii a games station) is that it has many many many more buttons you can use as a control.

stop and think. the PS3 sells for, what? £300? if you try to get a bling one? second hand ones in my area are £225... the 360 is, well i don't know but i can pick up a second hand mid range one for £75. using this as a comparasion the pc can't compete, a decent games PC costs a limb, a soul, and prefereably a child.

i can understand why companies stop making games for the PC, piracy et al, but there is a fairly compelling reason to stop making shooters racers etc for the PC all together.

p.s. is it possible to pirate a 360 or PS3 game?
Okay, now tell me this... could you play Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights on a console? Could you play Crysis or most flight simulators on a console? No. That's what I thought.
Not quite,

My mother was married to my father when they conceived me.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
You know why i pirate those (mainstream) games i want to buy? I'm too lazy to go out,visit store,and actually buy them. And my internet can't really handle big Steam downloads.

I am not making this up.

Pyotr Romanov

Jul 8, 2009
Long, Looong ago, I pirated some games, but I stopped when I found out it killed pc gaming. easy.
Though I do understand why some people pirate the games. example: assasin's creed was released for consoles a few months earlier then for pc, but it was still priced the same. Somehow I understand people don't want to pay a lot for a game everybody's completed months ago.

They release the pc version later, and i'm sure it'll be downloaded a lot more than if everything was released at the same time.

HotFezz8 said:
I believe it's possible for the ps3, or at least not that hard. And I know you're thinking "Oh, since I never hear anybody crying about the pirating of ps3 games, one more person doing that wouldn't matter anyway."
Well, I gues it's not up to me to tell you not to think like that, since I do the same for my DS, but still: don't do it.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
ma55ter_fett said:
TheDoctor455 said:
ma55ter_fett said:
You bastard.

HotFezz8 said:
fair enough, my pc is a laptop, therefore if i were to walk a game past it it would throw itself out the window and die.

i'm into 360, and honestly other than some RTS (the Total War series, i use it because i know it), flight sims, and maybe a handful of others i can't think of, computers aren't really designed to play games.

no, no... no shut up and let me finish. the only real advantage the PC has over the 360 or the PS3 (i refuse to call the Wii a games station) is that it has many many many more buttons you can use as a control.

stop and think. the PS3 sells for, what? £300? if you try to get a bling one? second hand ones in my area are £225... the 360 is, well i don't know but i can pick up a second hand mid range one for £75. using this as a comparasion the pc can't compete, a decent games PC costs a limb, a soul, and prefereably a child.

i can understand why companies stop making games for the PC, piracy et al, but there is a fairly compelling reason to stop making shooters racers etc for the PC all together.

Okay, now tell me this... could you play Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights on a console? Could you play Crysis or most flight simulators on a console? No. That's what I thought.
Not quite,

There is no way that you can possibly play the games I mentioned on a console. And... what?

Pyotr Romanov

Jul 8, 2009
Kollega said:
You know why i pirate those (mainstream) games i want to buy? I'm too lazy to go out,visit store,and actually buy them.

I am not making this up.
Then order them from the internet.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Oh, what a shame, PC gaming is dying. It's a good job that I have all of these current and upcoming PC games to play otherwise it might bother me.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
TooMiserableToLive said:
Kollega said:
You know why i pirate those (mainstream) games i want to buy? I'm too lazy to go out,visit store,and actually buy them.

I am not making this up.
My Internet connection is too lame for downloading stuff via Steam (don't ask how i use torrents - it's all stupidly specific),and mail-ordering... well,actually shopping for them is easier.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
TylerC said:
Yes, YOU. If you are one of the vast majority of people who pirate copies of video games, you are causing a huge problem.

People complain that their beloved PC games are being cut from development or are losing support, but companies can't keep making games or providing support because it costs money, yeah all of your hard earned money for buying a game isn't going to the publisher. The developer needs money for their own salaries and for development and support of their game and future games. Pirating is like going to a game store and just stealing a copy. Think, would you really go to say Best Buy, and just grab a couple of games and walk out? Using CoD4 as an example, up to 60% of players online were using pirated games, and the removal of dedicated servers could also be part of the of control piracy.

If Call of Duty: Modern Warfare was released as a PC exclusive, I'm sure you would have seen no dedicated servers, and no MW2. These games are surviving on console sales, and its no surprise that games like EA's extremely popular Madden NFL games are being dropped...it's just not worth the time, effort and money to make a free game.

This isn't happening as bad with consoles because it is so hard to mod your console, and if you go online, you can say goodbye to your PSN, or XBL account.

So next time you complain about the dying art of PC gaming, think, what can I do to prevent this?

Feel free to argue your point against me, or provide your thoughts.

[small]I did a quick search and didn't see anything on this, if their is, please provide a link and let this die.

FYI This ISN'T a MW2 Topic.

Edited for better structure.[/small]
Actually no, I don't pirate games so; dr.

HotFezz8

Nov 1, 2009
TheDoctor455 said:
ma55ter_fett said:
TheDoctor455 said:
ma55ter_fett said:
You bastard.

HotFezz8 said:

Not quite,

There is no way that you can possibly play the games I mentioned on a console. And... what?
i mentioned the flight sim and the others fall under the "games i don't know". read the ****ing comment before you reply.

HotFezz8

Nov 1, 2009
TooMiserableToLive said:
Long, Looong ago, I pirated some games, but I stopped when I found out it killed pc gaming. easy.
Though I do understand why some people pirate the games. example: assasin's creed was released for consoles a few months earlier then for pc, but it was still priced the same. Somehow I understand people don't want to pay a lot for a game everybody's completed months ago.

They release the pc version later, and i'm sure it'll be downloaded a lot more than if everything was released at the same time.

HotFezz8 said:
I believe it's possible for the ps3, or at least not that hard. And I know you're thinking "Oh, since I never hear anybody crying about the pirating of ps3 games, one more person doing that wouldn't matter anyway."
Well, I gues it's not up to me to tell you not to think like that, since I do the same for my DS, but still: don't do it.

pirate the PS3??! i struggle to get the disk drive open!! ;-)

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
TheDoctor455 said:
ma55ter_fett said:
TheDoctor455 said:
ma55ter_fett said:
You bastard.

HotFezz8 said:

Not quite,

You called me a bastard, and I was just pointing out that I'm not one.

I was not conceived out of wedlock

Pyotr Romanov

Jul 8, 2009
Kollega said:
TooMiserableToLive said:
Kollega said:

I am not making this up.
My Internet connection is too lame for downloading stuff via Steam,and mail-ordering... well,actually shopping for them is easier.
Yes, but you won't have to go out to buy them.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
I only pirate software (£300 for photoshop? I think not....)

I might pirate MW2 and not play on it just to spite Activison, Recommended retail price (As sais by activison) £55? no way (Note you cant find it for the price Activision recommened for it as it was too much so every where sold it for £ 40-45)

slopeslider

Mar 19, 2009
HAY GUYZ. Havent you seen the horrible state the DS is in with the R4 cards and such? Its about to collapse thanks to an abundance of pirates and no real sales to justify making games on it. Just like PC ames! In North Korea there are more Ds's than ds games sold.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
Kalezian said:
you do realize they are treating the game THE EXACT SAME ACROSS ALL PLATFORMS AS THEY HAVE SAID NUMEROUS TIMES, what he was meaning the only difference between the PC version and the console version is that you use a mouse and keyboard.

really, are people this stupid?
Yes, people really are that stupid. He's stupid because what you said is right; the game is the same across all platforms. You're stupid because you're losing out on a chance to demand for your game to have more stuff. I am stupid for reasons that I have yet to discover.

I think that if IW wanted all the games to be equal, then they sould've just: 1) given mods, keyboard+mouse support, and dedicated servers to X360 and PS3 versions. 2)Added IW.net to PC versions, but keep the server option open. 3) Put party chat into the PS3 version.

There, now they're all equal! And now all the versions have more features! This way I can actually accept Activision's decision to raise the price. Please note that with the exception of number 3, all the other features have already been implemented by others in the industry.

Back to topic: I don't pirate, with a possible exception for PSP. For the PSP I buy the UMD, then proceed to rip the game off the disk and play it using the memory stick. I don't put the rip up for P2P downloads, so I don't think what I'm doing is really pirating. I don't like carrying UMDs, and I use my PSP as an alarm clock and radio, which means that I have to use Custom Firmware on it.

For all the PC gaming pirates out there, please send me your mailing address. I have a gift package for you. It's a surprise, but I can tell you that it has very high potential energy values.

EDIT: I don't consider people who downloaded a pirated copy and still purchased a ligitimate copy to be a pirate. I also don't consider things like Photoshop ($300+) and Matlab (they wanted me to pay $1800! WTF?) to be pirates. Photoshop and Matlab make their money off bulk licensing sales anyway.

And for the people who claims that PCs are too expensive. My PC was $900, and it was decked out. It's 23 months old and I won't have to upgrade for another 18 months at least (and when I do, it's for switching from 32 bit to 64 bit, Vista to 7, and upping the RAM from 4GB to 8GB). The PC is plugged into my TV, and now serves as my TV, home phone, living room radio, and everything else a PC can normally do. So I really disagree when you say that a console is more cost effective.

Kinichie

Penguin Overlord
Jun 18, 2008
Crysis was a PC exclusive and because of it's reputation as the most visually appealing and best to test out how "Rad" your rig is, it became one of the most pirated games of all time. So much so that Crytek have stated "No more PC exclusives". Someone said earlier in this threat "Can you see Crysis on a console". Well actually, you can when Crysis 2 comes out because they're making it for consoles aswell so more people buy instead of pirate it. Say sayonara to the good graphics. All textures will be made with consoles in mind now :). And it'll probably be a port.

EA tried an online activation for games like Spore and had their 5 install limits. Before that game was released it was cracked and became the most pirated game ever as people PROTESTED against this new form of Copy Protection. EA haven't learned anything from this because they are still doing it. It's a flawed system.

Bohemia Interactive goes a different approach with their games. Batman Arkham Asylum, players who pirated the game were unable to glide and do some certain game required moves. While in ArmA, you could not shoot straight if you had a pirated copy of the game.

The Pirate Bay, leaders of the "We can make it free, come and get it" don't realise the damage they are doing to the industry. They say that these things are overpriced. In 1995, games were priced at £50. I remember buying titles like Destruction Derby 2, Goldeneye 007, Conkers Bad Fur Day all for £45-£60 and not complaining and they were GOOD GAMES. Fantastic games in fact. The PC market at the time was the same. Games for the PC were also £40-£45 with games in the years of 1995-2000 like Diablo 2, The Sims, Half Life, Starcraft, Quake 2 and people still happily bought these games with no complaints.

Games these days carry at tops a price tag of £40, even though they now take A) Longer to develop, B) Have to be more engaging, real and have to have stonking great graphics because that is what you, the consumer, now look for and C)Require larger development teams because of all this new extra work for the modern age. Realistically, the price tag should be alot higher.

Also, may I note that Modern Warfare 2 has a £35 price tag on Steam right now. Very acceptable price so I think i've missed the hype of the $90 price, unless that is the console version.

I have 2 pirated games on this computer out of a total of 43 installed. These games are Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 and Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance. The reasons I did this are: 1) The Original Disc didn't work [Great big scratch down it] and the downloaded disc I got had the expansions. (Rollercoaster Tycoon 2) and 2) I already bought Sons of Liberty and Substance on the PS2 years ago, and have not yet found a place where I can actually buy this game. (MGS2 Substance). I will buy this game when I can find it available to buy.

Quite simply, you can't stop it, you can try to deter it but the only way is to close down these sites and stop the distribution.