You Are Probably Using Google Chrome to Read This

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Hexenwolf said:
Erana said:
Hexenwolf said:
Erana said:
I don't mind Chromium, but I'm just so peeved with the (relatively) new Google algorithm that I'm generally boycotting Google things.
I'm sorry, but changing "teaspoons" to "tablespoons" and "Baking soda" to "baking powder" just IS NOT OKAY.

Still, I'm glad to see that people are putting more thought into how they use their computers as a whole, though the Internet Explorer advertisements have been annoying me because they feel kind of like a false advertisement.
Also, they're advertising to me, the Mac user, so I'm just facepalming a bit.
I haven't heard about this. Is there an article or announcement you could link me to detailing what they've changed in their algorithm?
You haven't noticed this on your own?

It was shortly after Google implemented other "features" that I find absolutely aggrivating, like the "search before you're finished typing" and "navigating the page with the arrow keys goes down the list instead of scrolling down."

I don't know of any articles detailing the changes, but I haven't really bothered. I just know that one day, Google was putting words in my mouth and I hated it.

It now replaces things like "World of Warcraft" with the word "wow" and "Install" with "Installer" and things like that. (So if, say, your computer tends to crash with the Blizzard downloader and you have to download a fully installed version of the much more obscure Mac client, you're in for a bad time) Oh, you may not have noticed it if you're looking for something that's going to have dozens of redundant results that all give you what you want, but whenever I'm searching for a very specific piece of information, Google's an absolute pain to use.
I just went to test every single one of the things that you mentioned and the only one of them that happened was searching before you're finished typing. And even that only when it was a very short search. After about five words, (three if you don't count "if" and "the"), it stops doing it.

When I tried using the arrow keys, it scrolled the page. When I put in "install," it searched for "install," and ditto with "World of Warcraft."

I'm thinking it might have to do with either extensions or browser? I am in fact using chrome (and for the record, when you search using the address bar--since it doubles as a search bar--it doesn't search before you're finished typing; it only does that if you actually go to the google homepage, which I basically never do anymore), and the only extension I have running is adblocker.

What does your setup look like?
Its not my browser or addons. As I mentioned, "whenever I'm searching for a very specific piece of information, Google's an absolute pain to use."

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Andy Shandy said:
Why, yes I am using Google Chrome to read this. Are you stalking me, titles!?!
I read that as "Are you stalking me, titties!?!" Such an outcry is never unwarranted, even if it had no relation to the discussion.

As a result, I now consider us friends. Hooray!

Anyway, yes - Chrome. Better than FireFox in most ways, but I still have FireFox for various features. However, if Google don't stop fucking around with the back end and actively making Chrome worse, I will switch to something cleaner and faster, extensions be damned.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I'm a mac user so I started with safari...and then it started to jam on a regular basis. I switched to Firefox and I was pretty happy for a while. Until that it now crashes the second you open the damn thing! (On macs, don't know about PC). I now use chrome. It's quite good and didn't crash....yet.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
Pfft. Opera is far superior to Chrome, as it is to Firefox. Although the latter actually has some good features.

Chrome is way too simplified. And it's slow. And lacks proper mouse gestures.

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
I, for one, welcome our new browser overlords!

Proudly Chromed since it was beta

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Vigormortis said:
sinterklaas said:
Firefox does everything I want it to do and without problems. I don't see any reasons to change to Chrome.

Does Chrome even have Noscript or an addblock addon?
Not from what I've seen.

Granted, I haven't really looked extensively at Chrome's "addon" features, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything like NoScript.

Which is one of the primary reasons I still stick with Firefox. I loves my NoScript. It's easily one of the most handy addons I've ever used for a browser.
Chrome has two good extensions called NotScripts and ScriptNo. It also has good Javascript blocking built in: article from ages ago. [http://techie-buzz.com/browsers/disable-javascript-images-cookies-in-google-chrome.html]

Note that the article is old and the settings menu is different now. It was referencing v5.0.317.0 while I am currently running v21.0.1145.0

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Nope, sorry, Firefox user here. I can't say I get on well with Chrome.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
SpAc3man said:
Vigormortis said:
sinterklaas said:
Firefox does everything I want it to do and without problems. I don't see any reasons to change to Chrome.

Does Chrome even have Noscript or an addblock addon?
Not from what I've seen.

Granted, I haven't really looked extensively at Chrome's "addon" features, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything like NoScript.

Which is one of the primary reasons I still stick with Firefox. I loves my NoScript. It's easily one of the most handy addons I've ever used for a browser.
Chrome has two good extensions called NotScripts and ScriptNo. It also has good Javascript blocking built in: article from ages ago. [http://techie-buzz.com/browsers/disable-javascript-images-cookies-in-google-chrome.html]

Note that the article is old and the settings menu is different now. It was referencing v5.0.317.0 while I am currently running v21.0.1145.0
I'm sorry (and this isn't directed at you in any way, so don't take offense), but that's just kinda sad. Hilariously sad.

Those sound like really poor knock-offs. At least in name.

"NotScript" and "ScriptNo". :|

It's like the bad game rip-offs you see coming out of Korea.

Toxtle

Nov 10, 2011
That many people don't care about all their private information going to google? oh well

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Richardplex said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Recently switched to Chrome for Firefox.
I spent a good 15 seconds restarting the cogs in my brain from trying to work out what you did reading that. I hope your happy with yourself. And then you edited it so I and only I would suffer - I'm on to you.

OT: Yeah, used chrome since it came out, basically. It's only flaw for me was shockwave crashing, which hasn't happened for a few months.
I like how your whining about a grammatical error has a grammatical error, so you can error while you error.
OT: Heck yeah I use Chrome. The keys don't stick when you play flash games.

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
Personally I use a browser until I don't like it for some reason, then try something new. I find the whole "this browser is faster than that browser" kinda laudable. Used IE until when they did an update to... 8 or 9? I don't know, one or the other, but the UI change had me like: "What did you do to my browser!?"

So currently using Firefox. Only ever used Chrome in university for pages that Firefox couldn't run.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
ccggenius12 said:
Richardplex said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Recently switched to Chrome for Firefox.
I spent a good 15 seconds restarting the cogs in my brain from trying to work out what you did reading that. I hope your happy with yourself. And then you edited it so I and only I would suffer - I'm on to you.

OT: Yeah, used chrome since it came out, basically. It's only flaw for me was shockwave crashing, which hasn't happened for a few months.
I like how your whining about a grammatical error has a grammatical error, so you can error while you error.
OT: Heck yeah I use Chrome. The keys don't stick when you play flash games.
And then you your'd when you should of you're'd, so everyone can facepalm while we facepalm at the errors in our errors =D

Rodrigo Girao

May 13, 2011
Chrome reminds me of the DualShock: an obviously broken design, yet people somehow are okay with it, and worst of all, other companies even copy its mistakes, discarding what was correct in their previous products. It's disgusting!

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Chrome is a top 2 candidate but the rendering engine breaks a lot of fonts, including on the escapist's. Keeping firefox, thx.

Browser wars are retarded, the whole point was for Micro$oft to lose, and it has. Google and Mozilla should work more closely to develop the standards and unify at least the rendering engine. M$ does not even deserve a place at the table, let alone a voice in the matter or - science forbid - lead the way.

Lt. Rocky

Jan 4, 2012
I stick to IE for it's stability, by personal experience. I've tried almost every browser out there, and I've never, to the life of me, been able to notice any sort of difference in performance between any of them. IE, FireFox, Chrome and Safari would always load up, change and switch between pages with ease and little processing power. The only browser that would boast any sort of improvement over the rest is the browser on Steam, which is weird considering that it can only run when a resource-sucking game is in use.