You Are Probably Using Google Chrome to Read This

Kraj

Jan 21, 2008
Bloodstain said:
Kraj said:
Bloodstain said:
I lament the fact that so very few people use Opera.

Opera is absolutely great and has a really good community, why aren't more people using it?
The same reason that more people want to listen to pink Floyd and beiber than want to watch Othello or Carmen. :(
What's wrong with Pink Floyd? I adore their music.
That being said, I have read Othello -- I have yet to see it performed. Still, I agree, the decreasing value of literature is very, very sad.
Thank you for politely pointing out that my statement was not at all supported and based on an invalid use of metaphor. It's rare for people to do that I find. That's what I get for drinking and posting! XD

To correct myself, and to supply a more sufficient reason; I think many people would rather use something other than opera for the same reason most would rather use macOS or Windows than use Linux. With such a system the output is largely dedicated to the amount of input, if you aren't willing to work at maintaining opera, keeping it up to date with the additions and understanding how it works under the hood, the return is pretty low, the same as with Linux. It's actually easier and a better choice to use pre-configured and largely install/use browsers than to use something which requires an upkeep in the form of maintenance and stability time.

Wow that music analogy was really really stupid. >_> my bad!

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I use Internet Explorer mostly due to intertia since it's what I've always used, and is what windows defaults to. I don't do a while lot on the internet in absolute terms (my days of techno-adventuring are long behind me in the BBS/Dial Up days), and it gets the job done.

THAT said while doing the minor ARG unlocked in the "The Secret World"'s "Secret War" promotion I found a page that wouldn't display properly with IE, and wound up putting on Google Chrome as a work around, so my system is currently a dual browser mess. For most of what I do, it's apples and oranges, I really didn't see much differance in using Chrome (other than the display issue) than I do with IE.

Goody

Jan 2, 2011
Nah I'm using Firefox.

Don't like IE because well it's IE, don't like the look of chrome, don't like the look of Opera and it failed to display some basic website features when I tried it, and I don't like the new look of Firefox but thanks to my favourite feature (customisation) I have moved everything back to how I like it so that FF 12 looks like 3.6

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Hugga_Bear said:
whoever said there's no search bar, the web address bar IS the search bar, multi-tasking
If you're talking about me, I already explained to someone else that I knew you search in the address bar. What I was missing was the ability to search different specific websites as in the screenshot I posted below...
DustyDrB said:
Triforceformer said:
DustyDrB said:
I actually tried out Chrome all last week, but I'm not a fan. I'm back to Firefox. There were a couple things that bugged me:
-There wasn't a search bar (I have at least a dozen search engines saved for the Firefox search bar)
-The "scroll straight to the bottom/top" trackpad motion (on a MBP, it's scrolling up or down with three fingers on the trackpad) didn't work with Chrome for some reason. I'm way to used too that. Not having it feels icky.

But whatever, what browser people use is not a big deal. So if anyone starts arguing about browsers in this thread: We're laughing at you.
The search bar and address bar are the same bar. Just don't type a URL and it'll automatically Google what's typed.
Notice the drop-down list on the right. It allows me to search whichever one of those websites from right there. It's convenient.

I missed being able to search a website in that manner. That and the trackpad motion I mentioned before are two things I use with extreme frequency.

Blastinburn

Apr 13, 2011
Funny thing is that I normally do use chrome (and I am currently posting this via chrome), but at the time I read this my computer was refusing to run and I was instead using my PS3's web browser. Funny how that works out huh.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Chrome at home, firefox at work...

I also have an android phone, so technically Chrome there too! (I presume, as the iPhone has safari! :S)

sleekie

Aug 14, 2008
Still on Firefox and not seeing much of a reason to stop. I'm not afraid to switch, but I just don't see why I should.

That, and I don't want to have anything to do with Google if I can avoid it.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
A request: Could you possibly give us the ability to see the image in the top right in full detail?

Suave Charlie

Pleasant Bastard
Sep 23, 2009
Richard A. Kiernan said:
Chrome is a piece of proprietary shit with ultra-restrictive licensing conditions which make it utterly unsuitable for any purpose.
My purpose was to browse the internet and probably look at cats.
Chrome nailed it.

:D

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
I have google chrome on my PC, but I don't use it for the most part instead I use firefox, I don't know why but chrome is just unbearably slow, almost to the point where I feel like it is the nineties again, and I'm on dial up.