You Are Probably Using Google Chrome to Read This

Ddgafd

Jul 11, 2009
After my computer got fixed I started out using Opera. I liked it, but something about it, I don't remember what, annoyed me to no end. Then I switched to Chrome. Worked fine for a while, then YT videos, among others, started lagging like hell. Now I'm using Firefox and I haven't had too many problems with it.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Using Firefox here, been using it for a long time now and its done the job well. Personally I don't like chromes UI it feels clumsy to me. Different strokes for different folks though. It also pleases me that more people are ditching IE in favour of browsers that actually are not a security liability.

The only reason IE is even so popular and widely used is because it comes pre loaded and it was the first browser pretty much, most companies adopted it to run their business programs on and it would be a pain in the arse to change. Plus if they decided to change OS they can still run the old version of IE on the new OS build with little work.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Prefer Firefox for most thing, but on a small screen (like my laptop) I will prefer chrome due to smaller interface for the normal navigation, but still have Firefox installed on it for web programming (internet explorer is there also, but it mostly because Microsoft just don't want to follow damn web standard, so got to check on it if display correctly. Why can't you just not force damn border around image used has link and use the normal css opacity... )

Spitfire

Dec 27, 2008
Actually, I'm using Firefox to read this, though I do use Chrome as well occasionally.

Oh, how the mediocre have fallen. Back in the day, Microsoft's Internet Explorer was cool. Really cool. Then people realized the browser sucked way more RAM and CPU cycles than it needed to, but there wasn't really an alternative.
When was that? I remember Opera and Netscape Navigator as being the shit before Firefox came out.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Erana said:
I'm sorry, but changing "teaspoons" to "tablespoons" and "Baking soda" to "baking powder" just IS NOT OKAY.
Umm I get the baking soda being changed to baking powder... but teaspoons and tablespoons are completely different units of measure in relation to baking. At least they are over here in the UK.

OT: Nah, tried Chrome but I much prefer my beloved Firefox! It's always been there for me and has never presented me with a problem. Plus I love foxes... so I guess I'm kinda biased!

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Why good sir, I -am- using Chrome!
I love it's simplicity, though I can't figure out how to uninstall uTorrent's search bar thing.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Ickorus said:
The only reason I stopped using firefox is because the browser had (and probably still has) a fucking massive memory leak.

I'm in the habit of keeping my browser open but it's impossible for me to do that with Firefox since if I left it open for any length of time it would start using over a GB of memory and eventually crash itself or the game I was playing, sometimes both.
I'm currently running FF v12 and I've had not even a hint of a memory leak, crash, or any other issue.

I too will leave my browser up while doing other things. Sometimes for long stretches. So far it's barely touched my system resources when I've left it up.

Might be worth giving it another shot. I can't promise you won't experience a bug, but I can tell you I haven't seen one yet.

-----
Captcha - "baby steps"
Hmm. Good, if oddly apropos, advice.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
sinterklaas said:
Firefox does everything I want it to do and without problems. I don't see any reasons to change to Chrome.

Does Chrome even have Noscript or an addblock addon?
Not from what I've seen.

Granted, I haven't really looked extensively at Chrome's "addon" features, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything like NoScript.

Which is one of the primary reasons I still stick with Firefox. I loves my NoScript. It's easily one of the most handy addons I've ever used for a browser.

MC K-Mac

Oct 23, 2010
Even if Firefox wasn't a great browser, I would still use it because it was created by a non-profit group that works to protect your private data instead of harvest it against your will. Fuck Google, man. Mozilla forever!

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I use either depending on what my class needs.
The sick, sad irony is that back in 2010, when I had to use IE for my math course and had to download their Java plugin, I *immediately* picked up malware intrusion attempts from the plugin I downloaded from their site.

Internet Explorer is that shitty and hole-ridden, even to this day.
It boggles the mind, and network security is my trade.

Worse, I hear rumors that since the anti-trust suit filed against Microsoft expires this year, Windows 8 is going to go right back to integrating IE into the OS core Windows Explorer (the same shit that landed Microsoft in hot water with the US government to begin with, for the uninitiated).

In other words: you can use another browser in Windows 8, but you won't be able to remove IE (and thus, cannot remove all of the vulnerabilities that come with it).

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Let's see one product (Google Chrome) is shoe-horned into any downloadable product as a promotion while the other (Firefox) just has word of mouth.

Captain Anon

Mar 5, 2012
Greg Tito said:
You Are Probably Using Google Chrome to Read This

Google's browser surpasses Internet Explorer in overall worldwide usage.

Oh, how the mediocre have fallen. Back in the day, Microsoft's Internet Explorer was cool. Really cool. Then people realized the browser sucked way more RAM and CPU cycles than it needed to, but there wasn't really an alternative. Mozilla came out with the Firefox browser in 2004, and offered the first real challenge to IE's superiority, with tabbed browsing and helpful extensions. Google followed with Chrome in 2008, and with two viable solutions - not counting Safari if you're a pesky Mac-user - the worldwide usership of Internet Explorer waned. In October 2010, Chrome surged in popularity to top Firefox late last year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104123-You-Are-Probably-Not-Using-Internet-Explorer-to-Read-This], and this month, for the first time, Google's browser can boast it is the world's most widely used way to view the internet.

According to Statcounter.com, the moment Google Chrome surpassed IE was the week of May 7 - 13, when Chrome garnered 32.76 percent of total browser usage compared to 31.94 percent for IE. Firefox lagged behind at 25.47 percent.

Of course, those are worldwide stats. Certain countries still prefer IE such as that backwards nation known as the United States, where as of the week ending May 20th 30.94 percent used IE to Chrome's 27.11 percent.

I adopted Chrome almost as soon as it came out, and I've always loved how it shows the page I want to see without getting in the way. The extensions and applications that run through it now [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113374-Angry-Birds-Say-Chrome-is-Great-Mustaches-Are-Funny] are just icing on the already delicious cake. I'm happy to see the rest of world digs it as much as I do.

Source: Statcounter [http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser-ww-weekly-201121-201221]

yes i am using Google Chrome are you stalking me title? anyway it's better than IE because it is much faster than IE and it doesn't slow down because of favorites and pictures and other stuff

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
Erana said:
I don't mind Chromium, but I'm just so peeved with the (relatively) new Google algorithm that I'm generally boycotting Google things.
I'm sorry, but changing "teaspoons" to "tablespoons" and "Baking soda" to "baking powder" just IS NOT OKAY.

Still, I'm glad to see that people are putting more thought into how they use their computers as a whole, though the Internet Explorer advertisements have been annoying me because they feel kind of like a false advertisement.
Also, they're advertising to me, the Mac user, so I'm just facepalming a bit.
I haven't heard about this. Is there an article or announcement you could link me to detailing what they've changed in their algorithm?

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Hexenwolf said:
Erana said:
I don't mind Chromium, but I'm just so peeved with the (relatively) new Google algorithm that I'm generally boycotting Google things.

Still, I'm glad to see that people are putting more thought into how they use their computers as a whole, though the Internet Explorer advertisements have been annoying me because they feel kind of like a false advertisement.
I haven't heard about this. Is there an article or announcement you could link me to detailing what they've changed in their algorithm?
You haven't noticed this on your own?

It was shortly after Google implemented other "features" that I find absolutely aggrivating, like the "search before you're finished typing" and "navigating the page with the arrow keys goes down the list instead of scrolling down."

I don't know of any articles detailing the changes, but I haven't really bothered. I just know that one day, Google was putting words in my mouth and I hated it.

It now replaces things like "World of Warcraft" with the word "wow" and "Install" with "Installer" and things like that. (So if, say, your computer tends to crash with the Blizzard downloader and you have to download a fully installed version of the much more obscure Mac client, you're in for a bad time) Oh, you may not have noticed it if you're looking for something that's going to have dozens of redundant results that all give you what you want, but whenever I'm searching for a very specific piece of information, Google's an absolute pain to use.

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
Erana said:
Hexenwolf said:
Erana said:

You haven't noticed this on your own?

It was shortly after Google implemented other "features" that I find absolutely aggrivating, like the "search before you're finished typing" and "navigating the page with the arrow keys goes down the list instead of scrolling down."

I don't know of any articles detailing the changes, but I haven't really bothered. I just know that one day, Google was putting words in my mouth and I hated it.

It now replaces things like "World of Warcraft" with the word "wow" and "Install" with "Installer" and things like that. (So if, say, your computer tends to crash with the Blizzard downloader and you have to download a fully installed version of the much more obscure Mac client, you're in for a bad time) Oh, you may not have noticed it if you're looking for something that's going to have dozens of redundant results that all give you what you want, but whenever I'm searching for a very specific piece of information, Google's an absolute pain to use.
I just went to test every single one of the things that you mentioned and the only one of them that happened was searching before you're finished typing. And even that only when it was a very short search. After about five words, (three if you don't count "if" and "the"), it stops doing it.

When I tried using the arrow keys, it scrolled the page. When I put in "install," it searched for "install," and ditto with "World of Warcraft."

I'm thinking it might have to do with either extensions or browser? I am in fact using chrome (and for the record, when you search using the address bar--since it doubles as a search bar--it doesn't search before you're finished typing; it only does that if you actually go to the google homepage, which I basically never do anymore), and the only extension I have running is adblocker.

What does your setup look like?

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
bahumat42 said:
IE is obvious, its the people who haven't realised they can change it yet.

In all honesty as the default it will always retain market share because of that.
Yes.
Sadly.