You Can Buy "Easy Fatalities" As Mortal Kombat X DLC

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
You Can Buy "Easy Fatalities" As Mortal Kombat X DLC

Coming soon, "Easy Headshots" DLC for Battlefield 4, "Easy Drifts" DLC for Gran Turismo, and "Easy Boss Fights" DLC for Dark Souls.

One of the most iconic features of the Mortal Kombat [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/13768-Mortal-Kombat-X-Review] series are its ultra-gory fatalities. Notoriously difficult to pull off, they actually offer no in-game advantage, and exist simply as a way for players to "show off" once they have already beaten an opponent. But what if you suck at button inputs but still want to rip out your friend's spine in Mortal Kombat X? Don't worry, you can now just buy easier fatality inputs! Hooray for DLC!

The Xbox Live and PSN stores for the game both offer packs of "easy fatalities" as downloadable content. The consumable items let players pull off the bloody finishing move by simply holding down a shoulder button and pushing a face button, rather than the traditionally complicated string of inputs. Players can buy a pack of five easy fatalities for $0.99, or 30 for $4.99.

Of course, players are given three of these tokens for free when they first start playing, although they are carefully hidden away in a pause menu and never fully explained. You can also purchase them using "Koins", the game's freemium currency.

I gotta say, we've really hit DLC rock-bottom here. I understand that developers need to make money, but, really? Sorry to sound like an old man, but back in my day, DLC like this was called a "cheat code" and it was free.

But now that this new "innovation" has been innovated, what are the most ridiculous "Easy X" DLCs that you can think of?

Source: Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/04/mortal-kombat-x-charges-players-for-easy-fatalities/]

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Compared to locking an iconic character behind a pre-order wall, the expensive season pass, and the borked PC launch, this seems pretty inoffensive and harmless, but I suppose it can be insulting to those who genuinely have difficulty doing fatalities.

Another thing to note, pulling off Fatalities online are tied with XP bonuses for the faction wars. So it has no effect on gameplay, but it does make progression easier on those who struggle in performing those fatalities.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I just laugh at people willing to throw money away for cheap button presses. "Here let us play for you, only $9.99 a month". If people are dumb enough to buy the bullshit, I'm not going to complain because I know where I stand. I earn every one of my goddamn motherfucking fatalities... and own every one of my failures that end up being low kicks.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
That's not DLC, it's a pay to win model. Although in this case "win" has a rather narrow definition. I don't get it, though. If I want to see a Fatality or some kind of super complicated input move, I just mess around in training mode until I got it. Or heck, look it up on youtube. I mean... who pays money for this? X

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
I've heard that the button inputs to pull off fatalities have been made even harder in MKX as opposed to previous games. If so, it would seem like they're basically trying to make it as obnoxious as possible in order to encourage people to buy the easy ones.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
One button Fatalities used to be a cheat code.
Just throwing that out there.

CrossGuard

Mar 8, 2015
Gizen said:
I've heard that the button inputs to pull off fatalities have been made even harder in MKX as opposed to previous games. If so, it would seem like they're basically trying to make it as obnoxious as possible in order to encourage people to buy the easy ones.
If that is true (which would make sense because they need to find ways to encourage people to spend their money), then one can't even argue that this sort of DLC doesn't affect the gameplay anymore.

These cancerous business practices are the real problem with the gaming industry right now.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
So there's no new fatalities to go with these DLC packs? Not even modifications to the existing ones, so every time a player uses the easy input Scorpion puts on bunny ears or Liu Kang moonwalks around afterwards?

Please, tell me people have the sense, patience and dignity to not buy these. [small]The publisher will make enough to justify doing shady crap like this again and inspire others to join in, won't they.[/small]

Way to nickle and dime your customers, Warner Bros.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Davroth said:
That's not DLC, it's a pay to win model. Although in this case "win" has a rather narrow definition. I don't get it, though. If I want to see a Fatality or some kind of super complicated input move, I just mess around in training mode until I got it. Or heck, look it up on youtube. I mean... who pays money for this? X
This is more along the lines of, "pay to tea-bag". Granted, in the last game I found it nearly impossible to pull of moves or fatalities that required me to either be in the air or hit 'up' on the control-stick. I'm still not going to spend $5 to make those fatalities easier, I'm just going to find a character I can use more easily. NetherRealms already has the money I was willing to give it.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
But . . . if you cannot pull off a fatality, you probably cannot do the other moves consistently enough to win in the first place.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
[HEADING=1]PAYTALITY![/HEADING]

I'd actually be impressed if they had involved cash in the fatalities. Like for a PAYTALITY! somebody was throwing money at Sub Zero in an attempt to stop him killing them, so he freezes the money solid and stabs them to death with the cash.

As it is however, it just seems shitty, even if it is technically cosmetic, since it doesn't have any effect on the fight itself.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
You want a REAL easy fatality?

Just press the power button

That'll teach ya to mess with the best!

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
See they added this in order to let all the poor console people feel the rage and disappointment the PC gamers have been having with the title.

Hey captcha, is this a new low?
"For sure"

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
PsychicTaco115 said:
You want a REAL easy fatality?

Just press the power button

That'll teach ya to mess with the best!
I did that once, I love wireless controllers, you can turn off consoles from other rooms :D

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
lol. even when im not the best at fighting games and at times i do struggle to get some of these fatalities, but i sure would not pay for something that was a free cheat.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
You can buy them if you're a wussy. I've been doing fatalities since before you were born. Learn the buttons, practice a few times. Done.

Klonoa Prower

Jul 23, 2008
I dunno... I'll be honest, as the OP said, they offer nothing in the way of advantage and you can unlock them though normal skill and internal game play.

To be totally truthful, they're the very definition of a cosmetic purchase, which really is what DLC is supposed to be. Maybe one day long ago, we just had game genie or whatever, but those tools still cost money. I mean, compared to other things we've seen released in recent titles, this is fairly inoffensive.

I mean sure, monetize everything is inherently bad, but this isn't locked content behind a paywall...

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
I wouldn't mind this system so much, cause I'm terrible at those inputs, and probably could even see myself throwin down a couple bucks to do it.

The problem is its not a one off unlock. Its fuckin tokens.

You buy a stack of tokens and for 5 or 30 times you get an easy use fatality. Then you have to buy more.

That's some bullshit right there. I dont even care that you can buy them with the in game currency, the fact that its only a few times is complete idiocy. There's treatin your customers like sheep, then there's this.

Again, really don't have a huge problem with the unlock in general. Is it sucky that somethin that used to be a cheat code is dlc? Sure, but generally I don't mind if I enjoy the game because it means I get to keep supportin the developer to make games I enjoy. However makin em limited use is just shady to the extreme, and annoyin if you do have them and happen to run out without realizin it.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Bad Jim said:
But . . . if you cannot pull off a fatality, you probably cannot do the other moves consistently enough to win in the first place.
Unless, you know, they're playing against someone with a similar level of skill (or lack of).