You Can Buy "Easy Fatalities" As Mortal Kombat X DLC

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Bad Jim said:
But . . . if you cannot pull off a fatality, you probably cannot do the other moves consistently enough to win in the first place.
Eh, anybody can win a fighting game now and then. Luck goes a long way in the genre.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
As someone who hates cheapo DLC/transactions add-ons like this, I want to scream.

As someone who have never, ever managed to preform a finising move in any fighting game, ever, I want to cheer!

So I'll go with this:

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I almost shit my pants when I played my first match and did Goro's fatality with an easy to button press. Then the same for my next to. At first I thought it was the difficulty level I set it at, but looks like these tokens are becoming a thing. You also can get tokens to skip fights in the campaign, which gets insanely difficult very quickly. Did I mention the koins are slow to get as well, and these koins unlock characters fatalities as well? I'm waiting for the koins to be purchasable as well. I'm enjoying the game and all the characters, but fuck this game's practices.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I dunno who thought this was a good idea, but I guess it's just there to make a bit of extra cash off of the odd folks who choose to buy these things. I'll just continue not learning or giving a shit about fatalities and trying to learn the actual game.

Just...such a ridiculous idea, though.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
You know, I won't be paying money for this, but I am super happy that you can unlock it in game. Fatalities are significantly harder to preform than normal abilities and you only get one chance.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
So, you pay to do an easy Fatality? But it's only one time and if you wanna do it more, you have to pay more?

Oh, Hell no.

This is one of the most heinous examples of DLC gone bad and freemium tactics I've seen in a long time. I can't condemn that enough. I really can't.

But something that has been brought up makes me yearn for the good old days. That this was a cheat code in previous games. Do you guys remember when you unlocked every character by playing the game? When there were other game modes that you could unlock and master to gain still more characters. Extra special weapons that you can find in the game.

Nowadays, I feel like if Tony Hawk Pro Skater was made today, they'd make Spiderman a character that you unlocked for $9.99. Big Head mode would be $3.99 in NBA Jam 2015. And if you wanted to fight Emerald and Ruby WEAPON in FFVII, it would cost you $15.99 and would also include the Gold Chocobo Side Quest, Level 4 Limits Breaks, and Ultimate Weapons for all the characters (Buy the Bundle and you can also unlock Yuffie and Vincent).

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Solaire of Astora said:
I dunno who thought this was a good idea, but I guess it's just there to make a bit of extra cash off of the odd folks who choose to buy these things. I'll just continue not learning or giving a shit about fatalities and trying to learn the actual game.

Just...such a ridiculous idea, though.
Agreed. I must say your avatar sent me on a grump binge. I'm glad I don't have anything else to do.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Whoa whoa whoa, let me get this straight. Not only are you spending money to get easy fatalities, but you don't even get to permanently unlock it?! That's some grade-A bullshit right there.

To quote Yahtzee, "triple-A gaming, what the fuck do you NEED all this money for?!"

JCAll said:
One button Fatalities used to be a cheat code.
Just throwing that out there.
Ah yes, cheat codes. Perhaps the most lamentable casualty of the Microtransaction Wars.

I shudder to imagine how classic titles would have been treated under modern day video game marketing:

"Looks like you're out of Contra commandos. Purchase 'Reinforcement Pack' of 30 more for only $10.99!"

"Pre-order Goldeneye now at GameStop and unlock exclusive multiplayer characters! Buy the Season Pass to unlock Oddjob for only $19.99 more! Get the Golden Gun Edition for $199.99 to unlock everything listed above, plus all weapons and DK mode!"

"Uh-oh! Your SimCity is out of funds! Purchase 'Mayor Kickback' for $29.99?"

Actually, that last one isn't really a joke. EA's TWICE. [http://www.ea.com/simcity-buildit/]

And people wonder why I've given up on triple-A gaming...

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Meh, I am fine with this. It's basically like selling cosmetics: they do not affect actual gameplay in anyway, plus it's always possible to perform them the usual way.
Locking Goro behind pre-order wall is bullshit.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
I feel so conflicted about this.
On one hand, this has to be the biggest load of bullshit I've seen for quite some time. Honestly, paying per easy fatality? I could sort of understand if you paid once and unlocked them, but pay per use? Seriously fuck these people. Cosmetic DLC can at least be justified by the fact that it takes time to make, but it costs them absolutely nothing to allow you to use these fatalities as much as you want. As has already been mentioned, in the ancient times of knights and castles, this is what historians claim would have been called fucking cheat codes.

And yet, this is such blatant bullshit that I can't bring myself to feel sorry for anyone who wastes their money on this. It's like they just put up a large sign reading give us all your money you cretins!

Even so, these people can go fuck themselves with a rake. Game developers have been pushing their luck over what they can get away with where DLC is concerned; the last thing we need is this kind of precedent being set. Although, I have a terrible feeling this precedent has been set long ago. Weren't there other games that have literally sold cheat codes? I seem to remember it mentioned on the Jimquisition.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
If the fatalities were long and complicated like in the older MK games I could see this being a thing but the fatalities in MKX like MK9 are some of the easiest fatalities to do. If people want to buy this cool but I won't be one of them.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Jadak said:
Bad Jim said:
But . . . if you cannot pull off a fatality, you probably cannot do the other moves consistently enough to win in the first place.
Unless, you know, they're playing against someone with a similar level of skill (or lack of).
Or they don't want to play seriously and just see a bunch of dudes get as bloody as possible.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I don't mind fatalities being easier to perform, but I won't pay a single cent for it. I'm sure that there will be a mod than gives you infinite easy fatalities for the PC version within a week from its release.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Doom972 said:
I don't mind fatalities being easier to perform, but I won't pay a single cent for it. I'm sure that there will be a mod than gives you infinite easy fatalities for the PC version within a week from its release.
Infinite easy fatalities or nude Mileena mod? Which will be first?

The_Great_Galendo

Sep 14, 2012
I...I just don't understand this. I can't imagine pretty much anyone buying this, and I can't imagine pretty much anyone sitting in a board room, coming up with this idea, and expecting it to possibly sell. It just seems like a weird idea all around.

Though I suppose it doesn't take too many suckers buying this before the publisher starts raking in the dough. I mean, it probably took some programmer almost half an hour to write code to do this, and maybe two or three times that much for quality testing. I'll be implementing this feature cost them, like, hundreds of man-minutes.

Saltyk said:
Nowadays, I feel like if Tony Hawk Pro Skater was made today, they'd make Spiderman a character that you unlocked for $9.99. Big Head mode would be $3.99 in NBA Jam 2015. And if you wanted to fight Emerald and Ruby WEAPON in FFVII, it would cost you $15.99 and would also include the Gold Chocobo Side Quest, Level 4 Limits Breaks, and Ultimate Weapons for all the characters (Buy the Bundle and you can also unlock Yuffie and Vincent).
Quoted for truth, unfortunately. It really does make you think about how much more stuff old games used to include, even when disk space was at a premium. Can you imagine getting an entirely new Zelda quest to play after you beat the first one nowadays? Even something like the second castle in Symphony of the Night I wouldn't be surprised to find offered as DLC today. Makes me sad.

List

Sep 29, 2013
Does this affect the normal fatalities? Because I'm not really against these kinds of DLC until said DLC influences the development of the game.
If they made it harder to perform fatalities to "persuade" the average gamer to buy the DLC, that's scummy as heck.
If not then I'm fine with it.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
Andy Shandy said:
[HEADING=1]PAYTALITY![/HEADING]

I'd actually be impressed if they had involved cash in the fatalities. Like for a PAYTALITY! somebody was throwing money at Sub Zero in an attempt to stop him killing them, so he freezes the money solid and stabs them to death with the cash.

As it is however, it just seems shitty, even if it is technically cosmetic, since it doesn't have any effect on the fight itself.
I wish there was a way to upvote comments, just so I could upvote this xD genuinely choked on my cereal when I saw that, good job.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Mortal Kombat X gets worse.

Mortal Kombat X Day One Update Makes Gold Harder to Get in Order to Boost Paid DLC Sales
http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/846507-mortal-kombat-x-day-one-update-makes-gold-harder-get-order-boost-paid-dlc-sales