You Can Buy "Easy Fatalities" As Mortal Kombat X DLC

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
JCAll said:
Doom972 said:
I don't mind fatalities being easier to perform, but I won't pay a single cent for it. I'm sure that there will be a mod than gives you infinite easy fatalities for the PC version within a week from its release.
Infinite easy fatalities or nude Mileena mod? Which will be first?
Doesn't matter to me. By the time I get this game, both will already be released along with plenty of other mods and skins.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
So, about the same as paying for a dance emote in an mmo, yes? Something that is ultimately meaningless, not unbalancing the game, and that non-paying players can even do themselves with a bit more effort....

Yeah, this is hardly the worst thing I have seen, and honestly, it is better then a lot in terms of fairness.

It is pretty damn greedy and stupid though, not going to lie. and they deserve the mocking and scorn heaped upon them for being so blatantly greedy. I just can't say it is specifically bad once you get past the usual reasons most such DLC is bad.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I was almost interested in this game. Goro behind pre-order wall too? What a boatload of equine feces! Have they added any new characters at all? I haven't seen or heard of any. More powerful hardware and disc space = less content and thought put into new games. Seems like they're pulling a Capcom and wringing out the franchise to pay for whatever costly habits they been losing all their shiny pocket money to.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Now if only we could stoop to new lows...

Innovation of the ass. Don't buy into this shit children. We used to get cheats for free.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Davroth said:
I just mess around in training mode until I got it.
That's the thing. Mortal Kombat X has a training mode specifically for fatalities. You can take all the time in the world to practice as you opponent stands there dazed with no time limit and it even shows you what the button combination is.

11zxcvb11

Apr 13, 2012
but couldn't you just bind the fatalities to single buttons on the pc using a keyboard which supports macros or software like "macrogamer"?

cth

Aug 11, 2009
I fully support it. I mean if you play with your friends and none of you is any good, you'll get your money's worth. If you play online you won't even get far enough to use the easy fatality DLC anyway. If they finance the next Mortal Kombat this way even better.

Whoever gets upset by this really needs a few more hobbies or something. Who cares if they watch the fatalities online or buy a cheat code to see them?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Well this is really fucking stupid. They'll put a price on goddamn anything nowadays won't they? How long until someone tries to sell Dark Souls pause screen DLC? Or fasting loading screens DLC?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
cth said:
I fully support it. I mean if you play with your friends and none of you is any good, you'll get your money's worth. If you play online you won't even get far enough to use the easy fatality DLC anyway. If they finance the next Mortal Kombat this way even better.

Whoever gets upset by this really needs a few more hobbies or something. Who cares if they watch the fatalities online or buy a cheat code to see them?
The problem is that they shouldn't need to BUY the cheat code. They should just HAVE it.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
So many of us here looks at this and says "Who's gonna buy that shit!?", but let's not forget that this is likely targeted at children beneath the ESRB rating that have poor understandings of money/value, who love seeing the same meaningless violence over and over again but are too inept to perform the commands required to see it. Kids WILL spend obscene amounts of money (either their own pocket money or if their parents are stupid enough to give them their credit card details to shut them up) on absolutely, mind-numbingly useless garbage because they want to see it then and there, no matter the cost. It's how painfully mediocre mobile games still somehow make boatloads of cash. Things like easy fatality tokens aren't made for a mature audience (despite it being a mature game), they're made to take advantage of the impulsive buying habits of children. And I guarantee you they're going to make a motza selling these tokens to kids.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
So they purposefully design the game in an obtuse way so that fatalities are hard to do and then expect you to pay so they aren't so annoying to pull off? It would be like having to pay extra for a take all option in an RPG.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
P-89 Scorpion said:
Mortal Kombat X gets worse.

Mortal Kombat X Day One Update Makes Gold Harder to Get in Order to Boost Paid DLC Sales
http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/846507-mortal-kombat-x-day-one-update-makes-gold-harder-get-order-boost-paid-dlc-sales
This doesn't appear to be true: link [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1029169]
People have started investigating these claims by comparing pre and post patch drop rates. Preliminary findings suggest that there is roughly no difference. You don't get the same number of koins for doing a fight the second time, which is where the "drop" was noticed. However, this is true both pre patch and post patch. If we get further confirmation one way or another, OP will be updated again.

cth

Aug 11, 2009
erttheking said:
cth said:
...lalala...
The problem is that they shouldn't need to BUY the cheat code. They should just HAVE it.
I guess I'm sorry, then. I grew up in a world without cheat codes. I always play everything on extra crispy (Let me know if someone is old enough to know what I'm referencing here), so if they make money selling something I don't think anyone needs, why not? It's like saying prostitution is wrong, because they should be getting sex for free. You either pay for it, or you learn the moves.

But I see your point. Still don't agree, though. Seems self-entitled. They made the game, they can sell whatever they want, even pay to win stuff. I mean I wouldn't recommend it, but if people buy it? Why not? That's the world you want to live in, and now you complain that people use the system to their advantage. Though what advantage would that be even? Back when those "cheats" were free, games were a lot cheaper to make, so I really can't blame them if they want to keep paying their employees and also be able to afford some nice things. Developing games is a huge undertaking these days, and frankly I wonder why anyone still wants to do it. The work is doable of course, and if you love making games, I'm sure it's worth it to you to work overtime and often weekends, but to then get torn down by the sheer ungratefulness of gamers these days? Especially the Mortal Kombat guys, who did nothing but listen to their fanbase. Do I have to remind you where Ermac comes from?

So I'm actually grateful that they only sell the fatality cheat codes and not the all special moves version. It's a compromise of course, but it's one I'm gladly willing to make as I said if it helps me playing another Mortal Kombat in a few years. Of course you'll say that if it was completely pay to win, nobody would be playing it anymore and then they wouldn't make any money of it either. That's true, but we also wouldn't have a Mortal Kombat to play then. I guess what I'm saying is why can't we all just get along and see each other's side of the debate for once?

Kahani

May 25, 2011
runic knight said:
So, about the same as paying for a dance emote in an mmo, yes? Something that is ultimately meaningless, not unbalancing the game, and that non-paying players can even do themselves with a bit more effort....
No, it's not at all the same. To start with, if you buy emotes in an MMO, as with every other cosmetic DLC I'm aware of, you can actually use them more than once. Secondly, and more importantly, the whole point of cosmetic changes is that they are, in fact, cosmetic, ie. they don't affect the gameplay in any way. This does. In the most obvious sense, it affects a relatively unimportant (although not entirely unimportant since it affects XP gain in online play) part of gameplay. But in a less obvious sense, they knew this would be here when designing the game and therefore certainly took it into account when designing fatalities. It's the same problem Diablo 3 had with the auction house - there's absolutely nothing wrong with it in principle, quite the opposite in fact and people would have been ecstatic if Blizzard had added one to Diablo 2. But because the auction house was there from the start, the game was balanced with that knowledge and ended up being utterly fucked for people who didn't want to use it or didn't have the time to grind out the gold it quickly required to buy anything good. Exactly the same will have happened here - in order to get people to buy easy fatalities, they will almost certainly have made them harder than they otherwise would have been. Instead of being a purely cosmetic change that has no effect on people who aren't interested, the gameplay for everyone is changed because of the existence of a non-cosmetic optional addition.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
cth said:
erttheking said:
cth said:
...lalala...
I guess I'm sorry, then. I grew up in a world without cheat codes. I always play everything on extra crispy (Let me know if someone is old enough to know what I'm referencing here), so if they make money selling something I don't think anyone needs, why not? It's like saying prostitution is wrong, because they should be getting sex for free. You either pay for it, or you learn the moves.

But I see your point. Still don't agree, though. Seems self-entitled. They made the game, they can sell whatever they want, even pay to win stuff. I mean I wouldn't recommend it, but if people buy it? Why not? That's the world you want to live in, and now you complain that people use the system to their advantage. Though what advantage would that be even? Back when those "cheats" were free, games were a lot cheaper to make, so I really can't blame them if they want to keep paying their employees and also be able to afford some nice things. Developing games is a huge undertaking these days, and frankly I wonder why anyone still wants to do it. The work is doable of course, and if you love making games, I'm sure it's worth it to you to work overtime and often weekends, but to then get torn down by the sheer ungratefulness of gamers these days? Especially the Mortal Kombat guys, who did nothing but listen to their fanbase. Do I have to remind you where Ermac comes from?

So I'm actually grateful that they only sell the fatality cheat codes and not the all special moves version. It's a compromise of course, but it's one I'm gladly willing to make as I said if it helps me playing another Mortal Kombat in a few years. Of course you'll say that if it was completely pay to win, nobody would be playing it anymore and then they wouldn't make any money of it either. That's true, but we also wouldn't have a Mortal Kombat to play then. I guess what I'm saying is why can't we all just get along and see each other's side of the debate for once?
Yeah, here's my biggest problem. You're buying tokens that you use to preform easy fatalities. You expend all your tokens and then you buy more. This is blatantly ripped from freemium games and is utterly shitty. I wouldn't even mind so much if you bought easy fatalities and it was permanent. I mind that it's blatantly being done to force you to pay infinite money for something that was a part of the game in previous versions. I mind that this was a free cheat in previous games. I mind because games are making me pay for stuff that previously was part of the game that I bought.

Older Mortal Kombat games added Ermac because of fans. This one will make Ermac a DLC character for $9.99.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
I don't see why some people seem so put off by this. It's not like Fatalities offer you any advantage in the fight so this is basically a piece of "cosmetic dlc", like those skins and hats and things many games offer to let the player customize their character. Isn't it the general consensus that "cosmetic DLC" is the fairest way to do DLC?

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
SupahGamuh said:
Davroth said:
That's not DLC, it's a pay to win model.
Nope. You're not paying to win, you still have to actually win a match to perform a fatality.
Which is what I said in the rest of my post you didn't quote for some reason.

kanetsb

Sep 13, 2007
This DLC is kinda bad, but it's nothing like "Easy boss fights" etc. In fact, this is completely different. A fatality in MK is essentially a sadistic, cosmetic finisher and doesn't make the fight any easier!

cth

Aug 11, 2009
Saltyk said:
cth said:
erttheking said:
cth said:
...lalala...
... even more singing ...
Yeah, here's my biggest problem. You're buying tokens that you use to preform easy fatalities. You expend all your tokens and then you buy more. This is blatantly ripped from freemium games and is utterly shitty. I wouldn't even mind so much if you bought easy fatalities and it was permanent. I mind that it's blatantly being done to force you to pay infinite money for something that was a part of the game in previous versions. I mind that this was a free cheat in previous games. I mind because games are making me pay for stuff that previously was part of the game that I bought.

Older Mortal Kombat games added Ermac because of fans. This one will make Ermac a DLC character for $9.99.
Well said, also funny, doesn't change that ermac only exists because of fans.

I don't shave. Never have. My barber always does it for me. She even did it for free all those years, because I am a close friend. She doesn't anymore. I don't know why exactly. Maybe it's because she has another child, or maybe because she has to remodel stuff in her house because of that child, or maybe times just got worse, maybe I just don't come by often enough anymore. So should I start bad mouthing her now? I mean I got a clean face for free all those years. Now I have to pay for it. Maybe I should find another pretty girl to cut my hair all together?

You know what I did instead? I paid what she asked and still gave her a tip. And you know why? I like how she cuts my hair. And I know she likes me coming by as well. It never entered my mind that she's gotten greedy or wanted to take my money just because she can. It was a courtesy that I got it for free. "A privilige, not a right" is the correct saying I think.

Brings me back to thinking you are self-entitled... (oh, and that's a true story by the way. I have a great barber and she is pretty.)