You Can Buy "Easy Fatalities" As Mortal Kombat X DLC

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
Xsjadoblayde said:
I was almost interested in this game. Goro behind pre-order wall too? What a boatload of equine feces! Have they added any new characters at all? I haven't seen or heard of any. More powerful hardware and disc space = less content and thought put into new games. Seems like they're pulling a Capcom and wringing out the franchise to pay for whatever costly habits they been losing all their shiny pocket money to.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortal_Kombat_X#Characters Yeah they added a good amount of new characters, not to mention each character now has 3 different play styles so the roster is basically tippled, I will agree that Goro being cut is bullshit though. As for the easy-fatalities it turns out you can also unlock them in the game so this is really just for people who don't want to learn an input.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Don't get me wrong it is stupid they did this but I don't see anything immoral or bad about it, fatalties are easy to pull off and hell there is actually a turtoil about it, if anything I'm more ashamed of the people buying it than NRS endorsing it because this is basically harmless.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Seriously, who cares? It's paying money to see an animation instead of having to enter a code. Whoop-di-do, it won't make winning any easier or harder.

Dryzdale said:
Steven Bogos said:
But now that this new "innovation" has been innovated, what are the most ridiculous "Easy X" DLCs that you can think of?
How about "Easy Quick Time Events"? Where they pass you anyway if you don't press the button it tells you too.
Didn't Rambo have that? Garantueed pass of every QTE? Granted, it wasn't a DLC but a perk and you only got a "Good" Rating instead of a "Perfect" from each. Still, close enough.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Darren716 said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
I was almost interested in this game. Goro behind pre-order wall too? What a boatload of equine feces! Have they added any new characters at all? I haven't seen or heard of any. More powerful hardware and disc space = less content and thought put into new games. Seems like they're pulling a Capcom and wringing out the franchise to pay for whatever costly habits they been losing all their shiny pocket money to.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortal_Kombat_X#Characters Yeah they added a good amount of new characters, not to mention each character now has 3 different play styles so the roster is basically tippled, I will agree that Goro being cut is bullshit though. As for the easy-fatalities it turns out you can also unlock them in the game so this is really just for people who don't want to learn an input.
Oh hey, I see Jason Vorhees and predator. SOLD!! To be honest, I was under the impression that nothing new, aside the story mode, was added and it was merely just an "updated" version for current gen gorophiles. Maybe reading the escapist's review didn't help with that idea. Am a little less cynical now. Usually MK and soul calibur are the only 1 on 1 fighters that enjoy, albeit briefly.

As this release has a single player story mode, can we expect Yahtzee to review and muse upon why all encounters lead to conflict again?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Davroth said:
Happyninja42 said:
Davroth said:
snip
That is what I meant when I said it's a narrow definition of winning. I didn't expect that this would turn out such a controversial statement. XD

In MK, beating your opponent, at least when I played it, wasn't the victory. The victory was pulling off the fatality. And now you can pay for that instead of learning the button combination. So yeah, for me, that is "pay to win". I hope that clears it up.
I'm not making it a controversy, I'm just clarifying my point. I have no emotional investment in the MK series, as I haven't played it since the arcade days. My point is that in the game, no matter what you personally feel as the victory condition, the person who actually wins the fight, is the one that knocks the other guy down for 2 rounds. The fatality is icing on the cake. You don't suddenly lose if you don't pull off the fatality. So saying it's "pay to win" is inaccurate and misleading. Sure, I totally acknowledge that there is a lot of ego stroking and posturing in the act of pulling off a fatality. When I played the MK games, I loved pulling off the fatalities when I could.

But, in order for me to actually have the opportunity to do the fatality on you, I have to kick your ass, which means I have to be better than you in that match. The fatality is like doing a victory dance in the end zone in American football or something. Whether you do it or not, your team still gets the 6 points.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Good idea, they should sell aim bots for the next COD. The more you pay the better the bot.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Davroth said:
That's not DLC, it's a pay to win model. Although in this case "win" has a rather narrow definition. I don't get it, though. If I want to see a Fatality or some kind of super complicated input move, I just mess around in training mode until I got it. Or heck, look it up on youtube. I mean... who pays money for this? X
There's even a fatality training mode. Not that hard people. Though I remember Clayfighter 64's fatalities were 50 buttons.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
It's far more rock bottom for Battlefield games to be selling weapon packs than MK selling easy Fatalities. As you've said, they offer no in-game advantage, they're just something cool to do. Once you unlock the fatality input, executing it usually isn't much of an issue, so I'm not sure who would pay actual money for this, but I honestly couldn't give less of a shit as far as DLC outrage goes. Far worse practices out there.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Gizen said:
I've heard that the button inputs to pull off fatalities have been made even harder in MKX as opposed to previous games.
Dunno where you heard that from but that is absolute Bull of the highest order. Fatalities have the same difficulty as that of previous games to pull off with the exceptions of brutalities which aren't affected by this anyways.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
FFS, I must be the only one who hates fatalities. Well, fatalities in online play anyway. Sure, they're cool and stuff the first time you see them but after that, it's the same thing over and OVER again when you just want to go on to the next match. And every jerk with a controller wants to do them EVERY TIME they win. Screw that. Partly why I don't play MK9 online anymore.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Arnoxthe1 said:
FFS, I must be the only one who hates fatalities. Well, fatalities in online play anyway. Sure, they're cool and stuff the first time you see them but after that, it's the same thing over and OVER again when you just want to go on to the next match. And every jerk with a controller wants to do them EVERY TIME they win. Screw that. Partly why I don't play MK9 online anymore.
Being on the receiving end of a Fatality has never been fun. Because it means you lost, and losing sucks.

Nov 28, 2007
...Does it really count as "pay-to-win" or "evil microtransactions" if it is totally feasible to buy the tokens for easy fatalities using nothing but gold earned in-game?

You don't have to pay a cent. Even if you want it, you can just earn the gold to buy the tokens in-game. To me, as long as it is feasible to unlock it without paying real money, it doesn't count as what most people call "microtransactions".

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Klonoa Prower said:
I dunno... I'll be honest, as the OP said, they offer nothing in the way of advantage and you can unlock them though normal skill and internal game play.

To be totally truthful, they're the very definition of a cosmetic purchase, which really is what DLC is supposed to be. Maybe one day long ago, we just had game genie or whatever, but those tools still cost money. I mean, compared to other things we've seen released in recent titles, this is fairly inoffensive.

I mean sure, monetize everything is inherently bad, but this isn't locked content behind a paywall...
Prettymuch my opinion on it.

As the "show off"/"cheat code" argument goes, skins and characters used to be that sort of thing too, and now they're in the standard DLC zone.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
Coming soon, "Easy Headshots" DLC for Battlefield 4, "Easy Drifts" DLC for Gran Turismo, and "Easy Boss Fights" DLC for Dark Souls.
While the DLC is shitty no matter how you look at it (easy fatalities were cheat codes in some of the previous games and I'm frankly against the idea that fatalities should be that hard anyway), this statement is almost worse since it compares things which aren't alike at all.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Seth Carter said:
As the "show off"/"cheat code" argument goes, skins and characters used to be that sort of thing too, and now they're in the standard DLC zone.
I'm not sure why anyone would think that because things have changed in the industry that that change is the least bit desirable or okay. I mean, I guess it technically is okay for most people since they either stopped complaining or happily bent over and took it up the ass with a smile on their face, but it's still not right.

Apl_J

Jun 16, 2011
My experiences with MK are limited to me getting my ass beat by my uncle on his SNES when I was 6, but aren't Fatalities that thing you do after you've already won the fight, as something of a brag? ?Not that I'm defending this, but this seems far less offensive then withholding content to release later as DLC and other practices that already happen.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Dryzdale said:
Steven Bogos said:
But now that this new "innovation" has been innovated, what are the most ridiculous "Easy X" DLCs that you can think of?
How about "Easy Quick Time Events"? Where they pass you anyway if you don't press the button it tells you too.
Soooooo, a cut-scene?

Truth Cake

Aug 27, 2010
Hilarious and absolutely stupid, can always count on the internet to provide both in abundance. And cats. Interestingly enough, Mortal Kombat has those too.

Therefore, Mortal Kombat = The Internet.

EDIT- before people jump on my case, by 'absolutely stupid' I really mean 'this is so stupid that anyone who buys this probably didn't deserve that money in the first place or has enough disposable income to just not give a shit'. Hey, good for them if this makes money, I guess, but it's just kinda 'either you pay us and we'll show you this clip of a dude getting pulled into several different parts, or you can just... do it on your own for free after taking 5 seconds of your life to look up how to do it online, whatever suits you.'

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Vivi22 said:
Seth Carter said:
I'm not sure why anyone would think that because things have changed in the industry that that change is the least bit desirable or okay. I mean, I guess it technically is okay for most people since they either stopped complaining or happily bent over and took it up the ass with a smile on their face, but it's still not right.
Oh, I don't think I've ever bought any DLC that I remember offhand. Definitely not skins or whatall. Granted, I've picked up some in special editions or preorder bonuses, and the occasional standalone game.

I was more addressing the articles newsworthiness, and closing attempt at speculative humor then any particular endorsement of the DLC.