"YOU CAN STEER THE TORPEDO?" moments

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
BloodWriter said:
AnthrSolidSnake said:
Ryank1908 said:
THE ANSWER TO THE PUZZLE IS ON THE DAMN CLAW?!

When I first played Skyrim, I was following through the main story missions, and got to the part where I had to open a door using a Golden Dragon Claw. When I got to the door in the depth of a murky ruined cave, I found an obstacle; a door, with three circles around a lock, which you could rotate. The rings had different pictures on them and I guessed I had to work out what the proper combination was.

I must have spent at least an hour, first just fiddling around, second, scouring the murals on the walls near the door for some kind of hint to the combination, and finally, just fucking hammering those buttons in every single possible combination. When I finally got it, I went on the internet to see if there was some kind of logical explanation for it, and sure enough... the combination is on the back of the claw the whole time. I did not know you could look at items in your inventory in that 3D view and I really didn't know it would somehow be a vital skill to learn for a mandatory bloody story quest.
I hate to admit that it took me a week to figure that out after I bought the game, while my friends were several hours ahead of me...
Yup... Took me almost an hour, I kept looking at the damn walls (the walls had Owls, Dragons, Bears drawn on them and I was sure that was the answer to the door puzzle).
Why did none of you look at the thief's journal?

I CAN DO A REGULAR DOUBLE ATTACK?!!
skyrim. I knew how to do the double power attck while duel wielding but I didn't know I could do a basic attack with it until atleast 100 hours in.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
You can store crits in the Gunslinger?

If you are clueless: The Gunslinger only crits on the event of getting three hits to land in a row, without letting go of M1. Really hard to pull of with a short range weapon, wielded by one of the least combat proficient classes, and to make your enemy survive long enough to bop them with your crit.

But this video shows that you can skip around the timing entirely. Blew my mind, made my crits more hilarious.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
GundamSentinel said:
freaper said:
GundamSentinel said:
The most recent one was in Guild Wars 2:

THERE IS AN OPTION TO DROP CRAFTING MATERIALS INTO YOUR BANK FROM YOUR INVENTORY?

And any inventory management problems disappeared instantly...
Oh wow, I don't even want to imagine the horror you must've been through.
I know, right. Months of trudging around, desperately looking for merchants and crafting stations or having to port back to town when my inventory got full. And all that money spent on crafting bigger bags for my characters...

It was hilarious when I found out and told my guild about it, since I am usually the one to consult when guildies have questions about the game.

"What? You didn't know that?"
"I-... wha-... No!"

Luckily I wasn't the only one who didn't know. ^^
I had a "YOU-CAN-STEER-THE-TORPEDO?" moment in Guild Wars (1) too. I didn't know, until halfway into prophecies, that I could fast travel to cities. Needless to say my character was quite beefed up by the time I figured it out.

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
For me it was "THE MISSING HOTKEY BUTTON IN NEW VEGAS SWITCHES YOUR WEAPON'S AMMO?!"

That made using my 12-gauge shotgun a whole lot more convenient.

Also, "YOU CAN HOTKEY CONSUMABLES?!" in Fo3. Hotkey'd stimpaks=never dying ever again.

Suave Charlie

Pleasant Bastard
Sep 23, 2009
King of Asgaard said:
You can hold down the action button in Fallout 3 to continually drink from a receptacle, instead of having to press the button over and over.
My mind was blown when I found out on the forums a few months ago.
...Are you kidding?

All those times I'd barely survived a fight and was frantically sipping tap water to heal..

DSK-

May 13, 2010
This reminds me of a memory that still tickles me to this day. I was handing my dad a cup of tea when he was playing Company of Heroes, and I noticed he was using Engineers only. I literally cried of laughter for about five minutes, seeing him send off five units at a time taking on tanks and god knows what else. I asked him as to why this was, and he said that it was all he was able to use. I then showed him that the Engineers can construct buildings to train and create more units.

He never learned though. He still ended up using the 'sticky bomb' ability of infantry units on tanks and stuff. Good times.

OP: In the very first PC game I ever played, the Total Annihilation demo, I didn't know the Commander could build structures until five replays of the mission where you need to save the Spider kbots.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
TwiZtah said:
Do you guys even touch the buttons when you play games?

This.

Almost all of the posted here is pretty damn obvious... the only except MAY be the whole "hold button to drink in fallout", but other than that one... ummm... nope.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
SkarKrow said:
KefkaCultist said:
SkarKrow said:
I got all the way to Guadosalam in Final Fantasy X, my first RPG besides pokemon, without knowing how to open the menu.

So as a result I didn't know how to level up or anything. Never occured to me that triangle would be the menu, since Start was always menu in everything else I played. Try getting that far without levelling up I frigging dare ya > >
... Fuck that ...
Did you just grind your ass off for stats or what? Because Guadosalam is actually a decent ways into the game with some pretty tough bosses prior that pissed me off even with a developed sphere grid. lol
I had spent almost all my money on potions and yeah I actually was sphere level 99 when I figured it out. I was wondering why everything was so hard and bosses were taking hours and why those summoners were so friggin hard to fight (it still took me a while to figure out how to level up summons ¬_¬). As you can imagine once I found that menu opening button the game got a hell of a lot more easy.

Oh and I didn't have a manual, fucking pre-owned games. I can get throwing away a cardboard box but why the manual!?
Did u miss the tutorials that hold your hand thru the sphere grid at the beginning in Besaid? And u don't actually gain stats until you spend sphere points.
I honestly can't understand how you could get that far, even with potions because bosses will drop you in one hit and flyers will never die if your accuracy rating never gets raised (aside from no new spells/abilities and the like).

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
TreuloseTomate said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
TreuloseTomate said:
Antichamber has those moments every minute.
I love that you mentioned that game. Though to be honest, most of Antichamber is the opposite of those moments as it tries to unteach every single thing you've ever learned from videogames up to now.
But you probably know what moments I'm talking about?

"THAT's what the circles on walls are for?!"
"You can do WHAT with the green gun?!"
Aha, yep. Oh my god, yes.

I wish I could erase my memory and play that game for the first time again, because discovering that stuff for the first time is truly mind-blowing.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
Klagermeister said:
YOU CAN GO FASTER THAN THE YETI?

I think that's the most mind blowing to guys who played Ski Free when they were kids.
Death by yeti is not inevitable. You can hold F to outrun him.
Woah woah woah woah woah woah woah. Woah.... just Woah.... There is something past that bastard?

armydreamer

Nov 13, 2012
this may have been said but:

I was about 95% through with dead space before i realized I could shoot things with kinesis. I would drag things towards me during some of the puzzle sections, and then waste ammo shooting them across the room. And I never got to kinesis a guardian, which were terrifying as a result. But boy was I happy when I found that ability, especially as an option to the endless stomping in ds2.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
I couldn't ever get to the 2nd temple in the Dark World in LoZ: Link to the Past. I never knew until recently that pulling the lever in the Light World which drained the lakes (Which I thought was just for teh lulz of flopping fish and a heart piece) made it so you could get into the Dark World temple that was in the same location.

Quazimofo said:
One for Dark Souls, which was actually pretty recent
"YOU CAN PARRY THE LIZARD MEN/Havel/the blighttown club giants/arrows/certain weapons/tower knights etc.??!?!!?!?"
Seriously, apparently just about everything in the game that wields a weapon (save for boss monsters) can be parried and most can be riposted. Even guys wielding gigantic weapons (anor londo giants) can be parried (in a way. you take SOME damage but suffer no knockback at all, yet neither does the attacker, so you can catch them in the open end of their swing where you normally would be jogging forward from sliding backwards after blocking a hit from a halberd twice your size)
I never got the timing down good enough to do that, found it easier to just beast with the Halberd of Kicking Tons of Ass and kill everything in 2 hits.

rhyno435

Apr 24, 2009
The year was 2001. Pokemon Gold was the game. Being 8 years old, I didn't realize you could use the spray bottle to fight Sudowoodo, so I just trained and trained and trained in the grass against level 15 Hoothoots until my Typhlosion was level 60. At least I had the sense to teach him Thunderpunch and break the game.

Between that point in Goldenrod and the Elite Four, he grew a total of three levels. I never fought a wild battle again.

Oct 11, 2011
In Batman Arkham Asylum, I never knew how to do the special takedown moves. I finally figured it out in Arkham City only because I used them on accident...and thought to myself, "I wish they had it in the first game"...not realizing that it was in the first game...

Lictor Face

Nov 14, 2011
Supreme commander forged alliance.

YOU CAN USE YOUR ACU AS PART OF YOUR ATTACK FORCE?

I honestly have NEVER thought about it. All those mmulti matches having my poor t1 army get gutted by an acu. I never once considered bringing along my own ACU to even the odds.

facepalm

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
amaranth_dru said:
SkarKrow said:
KefkaCultist said:
SkarKrow said:
I got all the way to Guadosalam in Final Fantasy X, my first RPG besides pokemon, without knowing how to open the menu.

So as a result I didn't know how to level up or anything. Never occured to me that triangle would be the menu, since Start was always menu in everything else I played. Try getting that far without levelling up I frigging dare ya > >
... Fuck that ...
Did you just grind your ass off for stats or what? Because Guadosalam is actually a decent ways into the game with some pretty tough bosses prior that pissed me off even with a developed sphere grid. lol
I had spent almost all my money on potions and yeah I actually was sphere level 99 when I figured it out. I was wondering why everything was so hard and bosses were taking hours and why those summoners were so friggin hard to fight (it still took me a while to figure out how to level up summons ¬_¬). As you can imagine once I found that menu opening button the game got a hell of a lot more easy.

Oh and I didn't have a manual, fucking pre-owned games. I can get throwing away a cardboard box but why the manual!?
Did u miss the tutorials that hold your hand thru the sphere grid at the beginning in Besaid? And u don't actually gain stats until you spend sphere points.
I honestly can't understand how you could get that far, even with potions because bosses will drop you in one hit and flyers will never die if your accuracy rating never gets raised (aside from no new spells/abilities and the like).
No, I saw those tutorials, but none of them told me that triangle opened the god damned menu. Also, no, they don't quite, and I'm well aware that the sphere level doesn't give you any bonuses, I was commenting that I had maxed it out from ignorance.

Bosses never quite managed 1 hit though some of there named attacks would put the party into severe condition and waste a number of turns healing. Flyers died because I used magic on them or Wakka's ball attacks.

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
GundamSentinel said:
The most recent one was in Guild Wars 2:

THERE IS AN OPTION TO DROP CRAFTING MATERIALS INTO YOUR BANK FROM YOUR INVENTORY?

And any inventory management problems disappeared instantly...
oh. my. this.

I'm lucky my daddy helped me go through it and learn most of hte ropes, otherwise i would've emberreassed the hell out of myself

Axel Slice

Sep 9, 2010
King of Asgaard said:
You can hold down the action button in Fallout 3 to continually drink from a receptacle, instead of having to press the button over and over.
My mind was blown when I found out on the forums a few months ago.
You can?! This blows my mind... Well, i guess that would be my moment then too :p