"YOU CAN STEER THE TORPEDO?" moments

l0ckd0wn

Jul 17, 2012
Fallout 3: I was 1/2-3/4 through the game before I figured out what VATS was... And then it was so easy I finished the last 1/4 in like an even smaller fraction, like 1/8 or something, time.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Moonlight Butterfly said:
Lol jontron <3

YOU CAN SHOOT UP? in Cave Story + I felt like a total idiot ><

OH OH epic story. Went to play Fallout 1 my ex and his best mate where like 'It's a bit pants you can't run' and that's when I found it right there in the settings. They had been doing it by clicking on people and things for like the entire game. xD
Wait...you can move without clicking on people and things? HOW?!

Seriously, I have a digital copy of the game that didn't come with an instruction manual and I never bothered to download one, please tell me your glorious secrets.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Dirty Hipsters said:
Lol jontron <3

OH OH epic story. Went to play Fallout 1 my ex and his best mate where like 'It's a bit pants you can't run' and that's when I found it right there in the settings. They had been doing it by clicking on people and things for like the entire game. xD

Seriously, I have a digital copy of the game that didn't come with an instruction manual and I never bothered to download one, please tell me your glorious secrets.
well you click to move but they didn't have auto run on :p so they walked everywhere unless there was a door or person they could click on.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Dirty Hipsters said:
Lol jontron <3

well you click to move but they didn't have auto run on :p so they walked everywhere unless there was a door or person they could click on.
Oh, I see. I thought you meant you'd found how to move with the WASD keys or something.

flyer son of no one

Jan 5, 2012
you can fast travel?! first time playing oblivion i was so excited to get into the cities and look around, sell my stuff ect. that i skipped over the message telling me you can fast travel, i went through about half the game taking the long route, until i looked on the map and and accidently clicked to fast travel.

the most recent one though was on my new game plus of dark souls, in Anor Londo trying to hit the silver knights on the roof with arrows and my house mate comes in and goes "why dont you zoom in?", blow my mind that hitting up on the dpad zoomed in!!

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
So, I was playing vanquish last night. One feature I discovered fairly quickly in the game is that if you press the thrust button while in cover, your character lights a cigarrette, smokes it a little, then throws it away. Nice touch adding to the eighties action movie absurdity of the game, I thought.

Last night, for the first time, I noticed that you actually have three cigarettes per level. This limit suggested to me that smoking actually does something, but I couldn't figure out what.

So, I just looked it up, and apparently, the cigarette being thrown away can actually distract the enemies! THERE'S EVEN A GODDAMN ACHIEVEMENT FOR DOING IT!

Unbelievable.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
BloodWriter said:
This whole thread could be about Deus Ex with every new find on subsequent playthroughs.

My first was "YOU CAN KILL
ANNA NAVARRE IN THE AIRPLANE?!
"
You can also kill her and the big german fellow too using a killphrase if you hack the correct terminal, it was for the higher ups to use on them if they ever turned on them.

I'm certain Anna's is flatliner lady, pick it from your dialogue list and she explodes.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
I was playing Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes for the first time yesterday (awesome game btw) and took about 20 tries to jump this gap between platforms before giving up. A few stages later I realised you could run by double tapping >.<

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Trooper924 said:
I played all the way through Fallout 3 and and halfway through New Vegas before I figured out I could pick up and move objects around by clicking the analog stick.
I actually carried the "alien" from the crashed space craft all the way back to Megaton that way, dropping him to fight Yaoi Guys (can't remember how you spell them!) and other nasties and picking him up again to carry on our epic adventure before reaching the doors to Megaton and realising you can't carry objects through loading screens... basically I wanted an alien room mate

You know that face Ben Affleck pulls at the end of Good Will Hunting, I was like that... and since Fallout 3 is a Role playing game I pretended my Alien roommate couldn't get the credit check to rent out a room in Megaton so he went travelling the wastelands instead

because of our epic adventure I always remember him fondly, I hope he's doing OK, maybe I'll meet again in the future.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
THERE ARE QUICK KEYS IN FALLOUT 3???

After playing it for like 60-70 hours. Before that I had always, always manually paused the game to take stimpaks, change weapons etc.

YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR FOLLOWER'S EQUIPMENT??

I didn't learn that until starting my third character in Skyrim, and already having played it something like 134 hours. Since I almost never kept my followers with me, I hadn't known about it.

YOU HAVE TO CLICK THE MOUSE WHEN THE TUMBLER IS RISING SLOWLY? (lockpicking in Oblivion)

It took me something like 70 hours of playing Oblivion until I realized that. Before it I just assumed it was all random.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Anathrax said:
Kingdom Hearts 2. My first playthrough, The Castle that Never Was. I CAN SWITCH MY MAIN KEYBLADE?!

Was still fun, beating the game with the starting keyblade though.
How does... how? I... wha... how?

OT: Mine is for Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. "SELECT DOES A THING?"

During my first playthrough, I'd completely forgotten all about how to use the Enemy Cards (I think I'd thought they were passive abilities or something). So at one point I'd become horribly stuck and started a new file. Then, in the tutorial, "Select switches to your Enemy--" "FWHUTHOWDIDEVENHOW."

And I never forgot Select ever again.

Regless

Jul 28, 2012
cathou said:
so yeah i played 20 hours of final fantasy 1 without any equipement on my caracters
Oh man I feel you. I did not understand that FF caused you to actually gain levels till halfway through YSIII years later. And I beat garland by spamming fireballs.

Another

Mar 19, 2008
Ulquiorra4sama said:
Another said:
Was playing Metal Gear Rising last week.

The last boss was kicking my ass, when I accidentally pushed a and x at the same time, and discovered that there is a dodge move. WHAT!?!?!? This entire game I had a dodge move!!!!
WHAT?! Against every boss i had to keep parrying like hell (a real ***** against Monsoon), and i kept thinking "Oh man, i wish this game had a fucking dodge move". I feel pretty stupid now :/
THANK YOU! I'm not the only one!

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
YOU CAN FAIL ONE SUBJECT WITHOUT IT AFFECTING YOUR GRADES!???

And that is the story of how I never learned any Spanish at all.

Furyaki12

Jul 20, 2009
YOU CAN USE THE POKÉ FLUTE IN BATTLE AS WELL SO YOU NEVER NEED TO BUY ANOTHER AWAKENING!?

YOU CAN SHOOT HOMING BOMBS IN STAR FOX 64!?

YOU CAN MELD COMMANDS IN Birth By Sleep!?

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
Ryank1908 said:
THE ANSWER TO THE PUZZLE IS ON THE DAMN CLAW?!

When I first played Skyrim, I was following through the main story missions, and got to the part where I had to open a door using a Golden Dragon Claw. When I got to the door in the depth of a murky ruined cave, I found an obstacle; a door, with three circles around a lock, which you could rotate. The rings had different pictures on them and I guessed I had to work out what the proper combination was.

I must have spent at least an hour, first just fiddling around, second, scouring the murals on the walls near the door for some kind of hint to the combination, and finally, just fucking hammering those buttons in every single possible combination. When I finally got it, I went on the internet to see if there was some kind of logical explanation for it, and sure enough... the combination is on the back of the claw the whole time. I did not know you could look at items in your inventory in that 3D view and I really didn't know it would somehow be a vital skill to learn for a mandatory bloody story quest.
Took me an age for this as well. I didn't realise it rotated either! My girlfriend pointed out that it might rotate and eventually she rotated it and pointed it out. I felt quite dumb. To be honest I haven't done much passed that though since Skyrim ain't my thing.

Another one for me is from the Twisted Metal series (And every Twisted Metal tends to be this since they used to alternate really): YOU CAN HOP/JUMP?! Helped me clear a lot more roofs or just escape dramatically by boost hopping off of roofs to random locations (especially Paris in TM2 and TM:HO).

Hargrimm

Jan 1, 2010
Medieval 2:

"YOU CAN RAID TRADE ROUTES?"
If you position your units on an enemy road or trade route, the income generated from that will go to you. Had to read that on some forum.

"YOU CAN CAPTURE WATCHTOWERS?"
You can, if you position your forces to the top-right of it(like Merchants trading goods). Found that out in my latest game.

"YOU CAN KILL AGENTS WITH YOUR ARMY?"
Normally, if you order your forces to move on a tile occupied by an Agent, that Agent simply steps out of the way. But if you surround him with your army so that there is no adjacent tile to go to, he simply dies.

HellbirdIV said:
Only one I can think of off the top of my head, is my friend telling me you can hold down the mouse button to move in League of Legends instead of spastically clicking your way everywhere like the ol' Diablo 2 days.

"You can? Well now I feel like a fucking tard."
You can hold down the mouse in Diablo 2 as well. Even when attacking.

You can also automatically add potions to your belt by holding down the shift button and left-clicking.

There is also a key that locks the belt in the "open" position (you know, the one when you hover over it with your mouse?). It's "ö" on my Keyboard, "~" on american ones I believe.

The "buy" and "sell" buttons in the merchant screen are unnecessary. You can just click and drag-and-drop respectively.

Fimbulvetr3822

A line, held
May 8, 2012
Hargrimm said:
Medieval 2:

"YOU CAN KILL AGENTS WITH YOUR ARMY?"
Normally, if you order your forces to move on a tile occupied by an Agent, that Agent simply steps out of the way. But if you surround him with your army so that there is no adjacent tile to go to, he simply dies.
Over 500 hours in medieval 2 and i didn't know this :( You are my hero :D

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
King of Asgaard said:
You can hold down the action button in Fallout 3 to continually drink from a receptacle, instead of having to press the button over and over.
My mind was blown when I found out on the forums a few months ago.
Wait, what? You can do that? I had no idea. Why is this never explained?

StraightToHeck

Booby booby bum bum.
Oct 13, 2010
AC: Brotherhood last night:
"YOU HAVE TO HOLD DOWN THE BUTTON TO AIM THE CROSSBOW? JUST LIKE THE PISTOL?!?!?!?!?!?"

derp