You Can't Be the Hero If You're the Rapist

Cyberjester

Oct 10, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Gamers don't bat an eye at violence in murder at games. Why is the crime of rape so different
Personally? I'd compare cutting off someones fingers with a blunt cleaver, then beating them to death with a stick to rape since it's generally classified as mental (and physical) torture. Actually.. That may not be enough.. Burning them to death maybe? A slow roast?

Shooting someone once in the head is a lot quicker, over straight away. No pain, nothing.

Some people I know are victims of assault. Fucked up big time. This may sound weird, but a bullet would have been a blessing from my p.o.v.. Obviously I'm not them, but anyone so emotionally messed up is.. Well, comparing it to shooting someone is way off.

And I'm a pacifist but if I ever saw the people that did it I'd quite happily waste them.

Doug said:
MaxTheReaper said:
Just responding to the question in the OP: Because murder can be justified.
See also: Dexter.

Rape can never serve a good purpose.

And now to read.

EDIT: Well fuck. It looks like you pretty much agree completely.
That's actually a bit weird.
Or maybe it's just a more common viewpoint than I thought.
THis. Although I do think that games about rape aren't justifiable as 'entertainment' or 'freedom of speech'.
And this.

Double on the not justifiable as entertainment bit. If you repeatedly see something, you get desensitized to it. Just watch the nightly news and you'll see body bags, sometimes body parts. Watch a movie and there'll be a few violent deaths. Death isn't something that's a big deal in todays society. Now imagine that but sub in rape for death...

BlackSaint09

Dec 9, 2010
The only reason i kill in videogames is because i have fun doing it. It doesnt matter who the enemy is...
Ok nvm i do it because i enjoy fighting off hordes of Demons/nazis/americans/zombies/insert-ancient-civilation-here/british and being all heroic while doing it.
Since its usually morally all justified ,i can feel good while doing it.

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
What if I'm tired of playing the hero? When I played Skyrim, I got mad. Mad at who? I got mad at Bethesda, that's who. I played the game as a cold blooded killer. No justification, no morality just an evil man. Why? Skyrim gets boring after the first play through.

So here I am, decimating entire cities yet I still have to be the hero. I am forced to be this great guy who saves Skyrim from evil. Why? Because Bethesda thinks like you, not me. They think you have to be a hero to enjoy the game.

They're wrong.

plainlake

Jan 20, 2010
wolfy098 said:
....... Ok IF this becomes another flame war i'll track you down and kill you

Murder can only be justifyed if you are:

On a battlefield - because the enemy came into the fight knowing they may die
In self defence
Or in other extreme curcumstances
If noone have arrested you on that before.

Child soldiers.

Conscription.

On self defence in a battlefield perhaps. If someone already commented, just ignore this.

actar411

Apr 14, 2010
Okay, I completely disagree with a lot of what was said in the article. Why not ban it? I understand if the subject of rape comes up for narrative reason. It happens. I just think that no one should have even the option to rape anyone, real or virtual. Rape is not ever justifiable, like he said in the article. I personally don't care if a the rape is real or virtual, it's still rape. Rape is wrong and traumatic to the victim, woman or man. The only reason I would want the rape games to not be banned is so that players could be flagged for watch lists.

May 29, 2011
"We're not shooting faces and hacking limbs for shits and giggles; we're doing it because the alternative is far worse."

...But we are shooting faces and hacking limbs for shits and giggles. The character may not be enjoying it and trying to be as imaginative as possible but we sure as hell are.

And by the way I'm sick of people saying rape can NEVER EVER EVER be justified. Any act can be justified, it's a matter of context. It's an extremely unlikely scenario, but dismissing it entirely makes you sound childish.

And heroism? Fucking really? I was playing my EEEEVIIIL run of mass effect 3 yesterday and I just commited genocide. Because I thought it would be fun.

Genocide > Rape

Is mass effect 3 banned? NO. Because people don't find that PERSONALLY apalling enough. Because it's fucking normal in rpgs like that.

Because it doesn't make peoples skin crawl, because it's optional it isn't even discussed.

What the hell makes this different from any other evil assholy act in video games?

May 29, 2011
actar411 said:
Okay, I completely disagree with a lot of what was said in the article. Why not ban it? I understand if the subject of rape comes up for narrative reason. It happens. I just think that no one should have even the option to rape anyone, real or virtual. Rape is not ever justifiable, like he said in the article. I personally don't care if a the rape is real or virtual, it's still rape. Rape is wrong and traumatic to the victim, woman or man. The only reason I would want the rape games to not be banned is so that players could be flagged for watch lists.
Ok first of all like I already said, any act is justifiable, it's a matter of context. Secondly don't you think that's maybe a bit self centered? You think rape is horrible therefore you think no one should never have the option of raping someone in a video game. What about the thirteen million other acts that are unjustifiable in video games? Why don't those games get banned? What makes rape different from say, repeatedly electrocuting a soldier to his lowest health points and healing him? Or any other brutal act?

Video games are fiction. Games. Make believe. Fantasies. Why do you want to take away peoples fantasies? You're disgusted by them so people shouldn't have them? Whats the harm? It's not real life, and forgive me but I'm willing to bet that wanting to take peoples fantasies away because they're morally apalling would make most people hypocrites.

Even if you found it so utterly horrible that you simply had to get these games to stop that still wouldn't be justification to stop them from being made. Because that's your opinion, your preferences and no one is getting hurt here.

May 29, 2011
CmRet said:
Why even let these games be made? Its s a sick crime! Who would want to play a game like that?
1. Because everyone is consenting, there's no crime and banning it would be ridiculous from a moral standpoint.
2. No it's not. Sick is debatable, but it's certainly not a crime.
3. People who have a fetish that you don't have.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Whats better than a Necro'd thread? A triple necro'd thread from 3 years ago!

Only thing I can add is

A: World of difference between rape, and twisting, coercing and subduing pixels.

B: I have said it before but it does bear repeating. If you can justify murder, you can justify anything.