You don't have to be afraid of taking a public stance against #GamerGate.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
GloatingSwine said:
Except it's also happening to Polygon over their Bayonetta 2 review, an open campaign to have Nintendo reduce their press feed to Polygon over a review score. (Oh wait....)

And even if it weren't, the effect is still the same, the power balance shifts towards advertisers of all stripes no matter what the intentions.

You're really struggling to grasp how leaderless grass roots movements work, aren't you?

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Well apparently if they're like GamerGate they work in direct opposition to their stated goals...

It's almost as if the stated goals are complete bullshit and no-one involved is actually interested in the thing the movement is claimed to be interested in.

Irick

Apr 18, 2012
GloatingSwine said:
Except it's also happening to Polygon over their Bayonetta 2 review, an open campaign to have Nintendo reduce their press feed to Polygon over a review score. (Oh wait....)

And even if it weren't, the effect is still the same, the power balance shifts towards advertisers of all stripes no matter what the intentions.
Has Nintendo done this?
Because yeah, I disagree with threatening to pull over reviews, but I also disagree with just about everything to do with reviews right now.

But, until action is actually taken over it, i'm willing to dismiss it as a detractor from actual dialog. It's not right to pull advertisement over review, but that is kind of pressure is something that you frankly have to deal with as a journalist. In the situation of mister Jeff Gerstmann that is exactly what happened. He has a green staff that were not ready for dealing with the pressure from their advertisers, so they buckled.

Part of journalistic ethics is not buckling under these sort of pressures and standing by your word.

Deadcyde

Jan 11, 2011
Irick said:
GloatingSwine said:

Has Nintendo done this?
Because yeah, I disagree with threatening to pull over reviews, but I also disagree with just about everything to do with reviews right now.

But, until action is actually taken over it, i'm willing to dismiss it as a detractor from actual dialog. It's not right to pull advertisement over review, but that is kind of pressure is something that you frankly have to deal with as a journalist. In the situation of mister Jeff Gerstmann that is exactly what happened. He has a green staff that were not ready for dealing with the pressure from their advertisers, so they buckled.

Part of journalistic ethics is not buckling under these sort of pressures and standing by your word.
Have you seen the reviews though? They're attacking bayonetta over sexism, barely reviewing the game. Why on earth would you allow someone to basically smear you and ignore any artistic ideal or even the word of the developers themselves simply to attack nintendo?

They want to write opinion pieces in that manner?.. fine, but if i were Nintendo? I'd distance myself from that publicity too.