You Don't Know Jack

magnuslion

Jun 16, 2009
so.....Your presumption is that the chronicles of narnia are about C.C Lewis struggle with his faith. But you should not be presenting that as fact. I can see how you could interpret it that way, but I do not recall Lewis ever saying that anywhere.

Note: Before the Hordes attempt to descend on me, I am a messianic Jew. what does that mean? That I believe in Messiah ((Jesus)). It also means I am less religious than your average agnostic or atheist. My faith leads me to believe that Christ did not come here to give us a new set of rules to replace the old ones. He came to redeem us from sin.

So I am not here to defend the church or organized religion. I am saying that while I could posit the same things that Bob is saying from having read not only The Chronicles, but pretty much everything else CS ever wrote ((My other favorite is the Screwtape Letters)) that no one really knows what Lewis was feeling or why he wrote the Chronicles.

Moreover, to understand Lewis' style of Gospel is to simply understand that not all of us believe wholeheartedly in every single bit of the Bible. I can point out many things that have been mistranslated from Hebrew into English. I can show you places where what Jesus says conflicts with what his contemporaries ((I am eyeballing you, Paul)) would later write.

My point, Bob, is that you seem to have serious issues with religion, and it colors every review you do that has anything to do with religion. you have never come out and admitted that, and it bothers me.
I have issues with religion, organized as it is, but then I am not an internet celebrity with the power to influence people. I talk with people all the time about my faith, about what I believe, but I am not preachy and I do not stuff things down peoples throats. That is not what Jesus would do.

I think that Aslan is a better representation of the whole of what Christ is than any other modern interpretation of the Messiah.

/rant

JunebugJuJuBee

Sep 6, 2010
*pulls out her collection of narnia books and the space trilogy*

This was my favorite article since your history of colonial fiction. It might be because books inherently interest me more than movies but...damn, bob. You have a way with words. I remember thinking, as a child, that I enjoyed Lewis' vision of heaven more than the stuffy one I was being taught to believe in. Now I'm a Theological Evolutionist and learning more about the man that shaped my desire to write was a wonderful treat.

Superhyperactiveman

Jul 23, 2009
starwarsgeek said:
Very good read. However, one bit near could be debated.

MovieBob said:
Aslan comforts a former-follower of Tash - the demonic "false-god" of Narnia's enemies - who now fears punishment for having worshipped the wrong idol. Aslan dismisses his fears, explaining that since he'd lived a morally-upstanding life it didn't matter. Good deeds were good deeds, regardless of which god they were done for, so welcome to Aslan's Country (read: Heaven.) That's about as far away from "No one comes to the Father but through me!" as you can get.
Personally, it sounds to me like the follower of Tash still entered "through" Aslan. I think this is a different interpretation of that quote--if they lived good lives, then people can convert during their judgement and enter Paradise through Christ--not an opposing opinion.
I haven't read the book myself, but based on what a friend told me, your interpretation is rather close. If I remember correctly, he said that Aslan went on to say something to the effect of "Everything good you did in the name of Tash was actually attributed to me, and everything evil you did in rejection of me was attributed to Tash" or something like that. The basic theory behind this interpretation is that goodness itself is literally God acting in this world, so if you accept goodness, then you accept God, even if in your mind you reject the concept of God.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
good article, the ending caught me by surprise but noice

(& stay classy people!)

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
I've read a bit of his work. The fantasy books are quite good, but his theological texts were just lame. Very easy stuff to debunk, really. But overall, his fictional sci/fi fantasy type work was quite good.

robotam

Jun 7, 2010
In school we watched a short documentary about CS Lewis last week. One thing they left out was why people would often refer to him as Jack. That confused the hell out of me, so thanks for clearing that up.
Nice article.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Thanks for that, MB; that was a very informative read, right there.
I'm uncertain if I would've liked someone who was as indecisive as this or this defensive about something that's meant to be personal, not public (IMO), but he is still very interesting to read about.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
I was beginning to doubt Moviebob after his space-sulk, but this was really thought out and well researched...

Supernaut565

Mar 18, 2009
When I was ten or twelve I read the entire Narnia series and I did not notice the religous aspects at all. I grew up in a religion free household not because my parents hated religion or hid me from it it was just not an issue for me. So when I first read them I just really enjoyed the story and it did not matter to me what the story was based on or who Aslan was supposed to be when I did become more familiar with religion It just never bothered me.

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
Good arguments on both sides, here. Hooray for the Escapist community!

Staskala said:
The "No one comes to the Father but through me!" sounds more like the cherub who guards the gate to paradise and resigns after Jesus comes along as he is no longer needed.
Except, John 14 [http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John%2014&version=NIV]:6: "Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.[']" (NIV, emphasis mine.)

(The link presents the Chapter for context.)

summerof2010 said:
sorenity34 said:
To clarify: "good" meaning "according to God's will."
So you're saying, "Follow God's will, even if you don't believe in God?" Seems kind of counter-intuitive to me.

EDIT: I just thought of an even better response to both of you. This is my point exactly. Even though you both seem to have the exact same philosophy, you believe completely different things. One says not hurting folks is good, the other says whatever God says is good is good. And you both say "do good." Frankly I think it's closer to the truth that neither of you, nor Jacksie in his quote, are saying anything at all.
Seems pretty straightforward to me. If "good" is "God's will" then "good deeds" are "good deeds" regardless of if the person was aware of or consciously working to promote good (i.e. God's will).

But you are right in that it is important to establish what is meant by a word, otherwise there is a fundamental disagreement that is easily missed. Still, I think it would be quite a leap to, "both sides mean nothing".

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
pneuma08 said:
In retrospect, I think I misinterpreted sorenity's quote. I was making a bit of a straw man against the argument that ethics could be boiled down to "do what's right."

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
I must say that this is perhaps one of the greatest articles you've made on the Escapist, MovieBob. Thank you for that wonderful article.

ObsessiveSketch

Nov 6, 2009
Dammit, you linked me to TV Tropes T_T It was an hour and a half before I got back to this long-buried tab to write this comment.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
In the connected article about Liam Neesons statements, the people who responded did so firstly by saying it was not the authors intention, and secondly by insulting him personally. They seem to have completely missed the point that fiction means different things to different people. Neeson clearly said "that?s what he means for me." He makes no claims that Lewis meant that.

TJ Johnston

Apr 1, 2010
Great article! Well researched and thought out. I've loved Narnia since I was a child and have read many of CS Lewis' other books.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Oh, wow, Lewis's life was actually pretty interesting. I should look into some of his biographies.

Although, just to nitpick, isn't the Chronicles a set of seven, not six books? Or are two of them lumped together somewhere?

Acting like a FOOL

Jun 7, 2010
true...true
religion's biggest problem is it's own followers.

that's why's it's always good to remember that "that believers are more than their belief(their still people) and that a believe is more than its believers(it has its own mode of being.)"

(don't trust buddhism too much though...it's getting embroiled with politics in the east)