You Favorite and Least favorite ending to a game?

Aug 30, 2008
Kind of a general topic, but still one of the most fun to talk about, your favorite and least favorite endings. these can include final boss fights, cutscenes, etc. the overall elements that made it your favorite ending.

Favorite endings would have to be: Fable, Resident Evil 4, zelda link to the past, super mario 3, mgs 2, and i actually enjoyed the good guy ending to bioshock.

Least favorites would have to be: Halo 3(the whole i'm gonna go nighty night now ticked me off), saint's row, mgs 4, ghostbusters for the nes(awful game anyway)

Blair Bennett

Jan 25, 2008
I have to agree with you on the NES Ghostbusters ending, my cousin nearly pissed himself he was so angry!! xD "you have completed a great game", that was a lie...

Skarvey

Sep 3, 2008
Most recently Star Wars: TFU, not only because it was canon, but they just did a terrific job with that ending, very epic. Aside from that, Mass Effect, The Darkness, Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion and I had heard COD 4 had an amazing ending, and umm...well no other bests really stick out in my mind. Worst I would have to agree on Saint's Row, and add all the Halo titles, Bad Company, The Legend of Zelda: Twighlight Princess, and Gears of War (Is he gonna...is he...OH HE DID, HE JUMPED TO THE FREAKIN' CHOPPER, HOORAY, HE LIVES TO BE A BROODING ANTI-HERO IN THE SEQUEL. GOD I LOVE EMOTIONAL DEPTH!)

Aug 30, 2008
COD 4 ending was pretty good, it kind of shocks you because it comes from nowhere, plus the ending airplane gameplay was a great add-on

zachatree

Oct 1, 2008
hmm well I guess
Favorite: Monkey Island 3, Portal, and Sam and Max Season 2
Least: Deus Ex 2 Invisible War and Halo 3

AuntyEthel

Sep 19, 2008
zachatree post=9.73078.782927 said:
hmm well I guess
Favorite: Monkey Island 3, Portal, and Sam and Max Season 2
Least: Deus Ex 2 Invisible War and Halo 3
I actually found the Monkey Island 3 ending a bit of a let down. The whole game was amazingly funny, then it just sort of... well... ends. Probably just cause I could have played through another 7 or 8 discs of it.

Spartan Bannana

Apr 27, 2008
Mass Effect definitely, and I just finished Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway today, the end level was underwhelming but the final cutscene was very emotional and well done.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Why do you people list The Darkness and Saints Row's endings as bad? The fact that they were unexpectedly depressing and unsatisfying was what made them so good. I loved the fact that they departed from the normal, expected, "Oh look everything's alright in the end so you can go off on your merry way and feel good about yourself" endings. Ever thought that a game could be varied or intuitive, or maybe make you think?

For some reason I can't think of any endings I don't like, which is odd because I know there are plenty I didn't like. My brain is dead right now, and I don't feel like thinking anymore. But Gears of War's ending was sort of dissapointing, after how good the game was you just blow up the bomb, jump onto the chopper, and everythings fine. I think Gears' story would have been a perfect fit for one of those unhappy disappointing endings I mentioned before. But whatever, sequel, right?

Also I like the endings in historical, more specifically WW2 games because I always know what's gonna happen. Makes me feel good and safe.

newguy77

Sep 28, 2008
I thought the end to Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones was an awesome ending. Just wrapped up the whole series with the beginning of the series.

the protaginist

Jul 4, 2008
I liked saint's rows ending.it was like,"yeah,i Rule." then you go on a boat and it's like,"Oh...shit!"

as for worst endings,i hated the ending for the starting character in NNN(thats N3 or Ninety-nine nights for those who've never played it.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Favorite: Final Fantasy IX. That game more than most other JRPGs really made me feel a connection to the characters and the storyline, and the "surprise" was brilliantly executed. Ultimately FF9 served as my last hurrah with JRPGs and it's nice to see the genre go out on a high note (I bought a PC shortly after finishing FF9 and am now an unrepentant RTS gamer.)

Worst: Final Fantasy VII. In the words of Muhammad Ali, "That all you got?" Really? I wasted forty hours of my life for that?

Calamity

Aug 22, 2008
I thought Persona 3 had a great ending, despite the very very mixed views about it.

As for worst I would give that to KotOR2. So much buildup, and for what? To fly away in a your little spaceship with nothing explained?

Sasha Janre

Apr 30, 2008
I will admit right here that for sheer emotional impact, the endings to FFIX and X made me cry like a baby. IX for the happy reunion and X for how heartwrenching it was when Yuna ran right through a transparent Tidus and hit the ship's deck. Also KH1 where Kairi and Sora are torn apart after finally meeting up again. I remember yelling at my TV going "YOU CAN'T DO THAT TO THEM!"

Some of the worst and most hilarious endings though came from Tekken 5. I mean, Heihachi strapping his son, father, and grandson to a rocket to shoot them to the moon? A grizzly bear running the Mishima Corporation? CRACKTASTIC. Or Jin falling into his cousin's chest and her smashing him into the mountain range. XD

Worst ending..? Hmm .. I don't know on my end, but .. for most baffling, I'd have to say Okami. She and Waka go into a spaceship and head off for the celestial plain? What? o_O; I must've missed that part of the mythology.

Dr Spaceman

Sep 22, 2008
haveyouseen_mywallet post=9.73078.782864 said:
COD 4 ending was pretty good, it kind of shocks you because it comes from nowhere, plus the ending airplane gameplay was a great add-on
Gotta give it to you... COD4's ending was a surprisingly emotional turn at the end.

I loved at the end of Baldur's Gate II when your main character stops and talks to all of your party members and talks to them about the final battle at hand. Knowing that everyone in the group was just as committed as I was made the last battle that much more awesome. I know other games have done that since, but this was the first time I saw that in a video game, and it really surprised me.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Most definitely the ending to Star Rape: Revenge of the Pelvic Thrusters

Total let down.

Didn't even show tits.

My favorite is MGS3.

Greatest PS2 game.