You Find $2,000 on the Sidewalk...

NightmareExpress

Dec 31, 2012
Use it in some shape or form.
Almost definitely/exclusively for rent, food and savings.
Wouldn't feel a speck of guilt, to be honest. Because I know almost for a fact that I wouldn't be seeing a good half or any of my money if the shoe were on the other foot. Someone else would probably try to claim it, anyway.

At the very least, I wouldn't be spending it on some petty materialistic shit.
I'd thank the person for their misfortune. Or...maybe they were sitting in the bushes, watching?
Weird.

zxvcasdfqwerzxcv

Nov 19, 2009
Considering that 2000 bucks tied by a rubber band is probably drug money, rather than someone's hard earned cash, I'd happily take it and invest in some new equipment for work!

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
It's (partly) going into the Kickstarter[footnote]for the curious there's a link on my profile[/footnote] I'm currently hoping will reach it's goal. Probably about half of it. The other half will go into paying my taxes and student loans...

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
gaming PC and steel armour pieces.
probably a LARP approved crossbow too, that'd be sweet.

if the amount of money was bigger than that, say 20.000 bucks, I'd probably bring that in to the cops before people ask questions how I got that much despite being unemployed.

King of Wei

Jan 13, 2011
Well ... there's surprisingly nothing I'd want to buy at the moment so, just put it away for later, I guess. Kinda a boring answer but there it is.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Hand it in to the police and hope no one comes asking for it. If no one does, buy the parts to make a high end gaming pc and bank the rest.

ClockworkPenguin

Mar 29, 2012
Songblade said:
"Turn it into the police" oh come on. I get that there's "forum answers" and then the truth, but really?

I'd buy big-cost items that I could immediately. Could be a tracker in the stack, so don't want it associated with my bank account via deposit.
It always amuses me when people outright refuse to believe that other people can be honest.

However, if you want self serving reasons for the same action I can provide those as well.

Fucking nobody just walks around with that kind of money. Therefore, the chances of this money being 'dodgy' are significantly higher than for the odd fiver left on the street.

You can get in a lot of trouble if you are caught trying to spend laundered or stolen cash. As in, they can legally confiscate anything you've bought in the time period which you can't prove this cash wasn't used for. If you use one pound of it to make a deposit on a mortgage, they can take your fucking house as it would be deemed 'proceeds of crime' even if the rest of the deposit was clean.

However, I'd also hand in a £20 pound note which doesn't carry those risks, because it's the right thing to do and I don't care whether or not you believe me.

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
NEW KOMPYUTA!

seriously, i want a high end alien ware. not saying my current one isn't good enough (it's quite good) i'd just like something with more kick.

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
1. Cop shop, they can deal with anyone who comes along saying they've dropped their life savings / money they took out to put a deposit on a flat / other essential large wad of cash and all the business of trying to prove it. I'm not rich, I have some debts to pay off, and it'd be nice to get £1280 with no strings attached (it's a touch over my monthly take-home pay) but I can cover it without falling below the breadline. I have more than that locked up in long-term savings accounts that I can get at if I really need to. For all I know that may just as likely be all the money the person who lost it had in the entire world, ringfenced for something in particular, as much as it might be the proceeds of a drug deal gone wrong etc.

2. If it sits around long enough to become mine, then... pay off remaining credit card bill, have things fixed on car and bike, put remainder towards this year's holidays. I'm a simple man with simple needs and rather thin safety margins.

3. Anything left over out of THAT will be shoved immediately towards my mortgage lender as one of my allowed overpayments, as I haven't made any of those which I'd originally planned to thus far...

... or alternatively, I have been promising myself a new laptop for about two whole years now, and it's starting to get a bit critical. The old one needs to be pensioned off for an easy life as a glorified NAS before too much longer.

Might go buy a week's shopping made up entirely of branded goods without a single yellow- or red-stickered clearance item in the entire basket, too. Maybe a full-price DVD, even.

Woo, so exciting, go me. But you try living your life on eighteen grand a year as a singleton and see how quickly your expectations and standards slip.

No particular charity contributions mentioned as one thing I haven't backed off on is the things I already make regular (or as-and-when, depending what they are) donations to. Though there is one I'm more directly (albeit still rather loosely) involved with which has had a patch of trouble and needs a particular broken piece of equipment replaced - I figure it could be easily dealt with by a moderate fraction of this windfall.

Images

Apr 8, 2010
Mine, Mine, Mine, Mine.
Mine, Mine, Mine, Mine.
Mine Mine.
Mine Mine.
Mine Miiiiiiiiiiiiine!

If its in a wallet, that's a different story. I take 10% as a finders fee (in this case $200) and hand it in to the local police station.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
Lets see first I'd pay off that doctors bill, then I'd pick up a few new games & finally I'd just hang onto the rest.

austinmus4

Dec 7, 2009
Considering that its 2 grand bundled in a rubber band I'm going to assume it's drug money so my conscience isn't going to bother me, grab it, and leave ASAP.

I'd probably use it to buy a couple new computer parts that could use replacing, put a couple hundred back for a trip I've been planning, then save the rest for a rainy day.

Yuno Gasai

Queen of Yandere
Nov 6, 2010
ClockworkPenguin said:
Take it to the nearest police station. If no-one comes to collect it it becomes mine after a time limit I think. Then I'd just stick it in an ISA until I need it.
This is basically what I'd end up doing.

Assuming nobody claimed it, I'd chuck it in my bank and think about splurging on a few new games and cosplay outfits. >.>

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Try and give it back to whoever dropped it. Taking random money you find only ends well when the amount of money in question is too small to be worth looking for.

If I knew I could get away with it? I'd probably just save it as a "Emergencies only" fund.

bluepilot

Jul 10, 2009
Buy the Jimmy Choo handbag that I have been after for a while.

Capatcha: Good Work. Yes thank you, I think so too

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
I'd probably buy a PS3 and all the exclusives that I missed out on. Or I'd buy a gaming PC.

But to be honest, I would buy a cat. I've been wanting one for a few months now.

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
TheRightToArmBears said:
Because I can't be bothered to work out the exchange rate (and I want more monies), I'm going to assume that was £2000. I'd probably just spend it on my activities over the Summer- Going to Download and Shambala festivals, going to Amsterdam, and that kinda stuff. Given that most of that's already paid for, I'd say that leaves me with ~£1200, so, new bass?

Yuss.
So I'd have about £250 left that I'd probably just spend on drink or gigs or clothes or whatever.
just get a fender jazz mate.

I'd be Boring and put it in the bank.
2 grands not what it used to be nowadays :/