You have a resurrection machine

leviathanmisha

Jun 21, 2009
Sacrifice the 5 skeeviest members of the WBC (trust me, that's the hard part, cause they're all skeevy) and I would bring back my dad.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Signa said:
NightHawk21 said:
I have a problem with the description of healthy? Are we talking no terminal illnesses or just diseases. You'd be hard pressed (and I bet it would be impossible) to find someone who is perfectly healthy. Also the definition of people is very vague, as it varies from country to country. So until the OP clarifies I'm running with standard legal definitions. What I would do is find some ridiculously religious country with a very lax ethics board that mainly disallows stuff like abortion, and preferably has nothing to lose by taking on riskier endeavors (maybe something like Cuba). Then I would on the bench fuse together 5 human eggs and 5 human sperm essentially making a person (if a person is considered a person at conception - hence why the very religious country was necessary). Then I'd throw my plates into the machine and start spitting out scientist after scientist.
You could throw in 5 wheelchair bound mentally handicapped people, but they have to be full grown. The machine works on matter conversion, so 5 babies wouldn't work.

That way you can't kill annoying kids in this question. Kids still have a chance to develop into a not-shitty, not-annoying members of society.
Ya buts what the difference between the handicapped people and say someone with incurable cancer? Or for a more direct comparison someone in a coma or an elderly person who is for all intents and purposes healthy except they use a walker?

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
NightHawk21 said:
Signa said:
NightHawk21 said:
I have a problem with the description of healthy? Are we talking no terminal illnesses or just diseases. You'd be hard pressed (and I bet it would be impossible) to find someone who is perfectly healthy. Also the definition of people is very vague, as it varies from country to country. So until the OP clarifies I'm running with standard legal definitions. What I would do is find some ridiculously religious country with a very lax ethics board that mainly disallows stuff like abortion, and preferably has nothing to lose by taking on riskier endeavors (maybe something like Cuba). Then I would on the bench fuse together 5 human eggs and 5 human sperm essentially making a person (if a person is considered a person at conception - hence why the very religious country was necessary). Then I'd throw my plates into the machine and start spitting out scientist after scientist.
You could throw in 5 wheelchair bound mentally handicapped people, but they have to be full grown. The machine works on matter conversion, so 5 babies wouldn't work.

That way you can't kill annoying kids in this question. Kids still have a chance to develop into a not-shitty, not-annoying members of society.
Ya buts what the difference between the handicapped people and say someone with incurable cancer? Or for a more direct comparison someone in a coma or an elderly person who is for all intents and purposes healthy except they use a walker?
It limits the question from becoming a total cop-out by just throwing the people in there that are days/hours away from death. Also, since there are deeper themes to this question on who's life do you value more, throwing the handicapped in there is a perfectly valid answer. Do you value the lives of 5 handicapped people more than someone else who left you or the greater public? Who's lives have affected you most? You don't have to answer those, but that's a lot of what this question boils down to. The concept of the machine places the question deeper into reality, because you can picture yourself with that machine and how you would react. Asking the above question changes the context drastically.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
My, quite the bloodthirsty group here.
So eager to sacrifice those you disagree with to bring back your little heroes?
Would they agree with that?

Captcha: who is it?
Damn thing is becoming sentient.

Andrew Drake

Mar 30, 2011
Hmm... so the running gag is to sacrifice anyone contributing the the Human Collective Intelligence going downward...

Jersey Shore cast is here due to them being voted dead by so many.
My old high school, minus the two people who didn't bully anyone.
As Morrigan put it, "Flemeth's type" AKA "People who won't be missed."

So who do we bring back...

Walter Disney, so we can show him Gargoyles and see about getting an REAL third season. I am aware he would have no sway over his company, but his word alone would probably carry some weight.
Keep Five on hand for Bill Gates.
Einstein, so he can keep working on the Theory of Everything.
Turning
Hitler (Suicide is too easy...)
Sam Walton, so he can see what his company has become. Oh and to see if he can come up with any ideas regarding this recession, worth a shot.
Gary Gygax
Tesla and Edison, lock em in a room and whoever comes out alive invented everything.
Constantine, so I can have someone check for a certain translation error.
Winston "Original Badass" Churchill.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
rEvolution said:
NightHawk21 said:
rEvolution said:
Does this machine eliminate the possibility of resurrecting those used to power it?
What specifically does this machine take from a person to operate?
Is it soul powered?

I lack much of a conscience; so I'd start with the lowest IQ's and use them to resurrect the highest IQ's.

I'd do that until the Average IQ has gone up by a good 10 points.

I'd also throw a few dogs in there; see what sort of crazy man/dog hybrid I can make.
Well apart from the obvious response that IQ has no bearing on intelligence, you probably don't understand how IQs work.

There is also the Flynn effect to consider where a score of 140 on an IQ test 50 years ago is only about 100-ish now.
Your right; IQ does not affect Intelligence. It just attempts to MEASURE IT.

"The ratio of tested mental age to chronological age, usually expressed as a quotient multiplied by 100."
But now IQ is now generally assessed on the basis of the statistical distribution of scores.

BTW: IQ = Intelligence Quotient
http://www.answers.com/topic/intelligence-quotient

Every dictionary definition disagrees with you.

Even with the Flynn effect; there's plenty of people from 50 years ago that are smarter than plenty of people now and because we know about the potential Flynn effect it can be compensated for, to ensure the average individual IQ increases.
Ok, I never said it affected intelligence I said it had no bearing on intelligence. If you wanna throw around definitions than one of the definitions (and the one used above) is:

"Relation or relevance

- the case has no direct bearing on the issues"

So in simpler words, IQ has no relation to intelligence. Now before you say it does (what with being called "intelligence quotient"), IQ is not, never was, and in its current form never will be an accurate measure of how smart someone is. At best IQ measures a specific type of intelligence (going off the tests I took mostly related to patterns), and at its worst it is a completely inaccurate waste of time.

Matthew Kjonaas

Jun 28, 2011
Veldie said:
Sacrifice

1. Shakespeare
4. All the actors for the doctor so we can have a ep with all 11 of em XD
Yes that would be the most amazing episode of doctor who that would ever happen in the history of television!

Matthew Kjonaas

Jun 28, 2011
Matthew Kjonaas said:
Veldie said:
1. Shakespeare
4. All the actors for the doctor so we can have a ep with all 11 of em XD
Yes that would be the most amazing episode of doctor who that would ever happen in the history of television!
sorry quoted when I tried to edit

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
5 of the useless, skateboarding idiots at the park across from my house, no great loss there.

Albert Einstein. With today's resources and technology, he could work wonders.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
Resurrect: Any Roman from the days of the Roman Empire. Why? so I can teach said Roman english and we can finally learn what a Latin-speaking Roman's accent would be like if he could speak modern English.

Sacrifices: Micheal Bay, and 4 of anyone who was behind the 4Kids dubbing department.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I would resurrect Leonardo Da Vinci. We'd have light-speed travel in a few years if someone brought him up to scratch with all we've been up to.

As for who I'd sacrifice, assuming I have access to anyone, there are enough politicians the world could do without to bring back Tesla, Einstein...George Carlin...

Then I'd just pedal the thing around to wherever executions are going to happen anyway. Like death row. If there was a war, the military could resurrect particularly good soldiers using prisoners of war.

P.S. I lied, I would resurrect Jesus Christ just to see if it worked.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
MeChaNiZ3D said:
I would resurrect Leonardo Da Vinci. We'd have light-speed travel in a few years if someone brought him up to scratch with all we've been up to.

As for who I'd sacrifice, assuming I have access to anyone, there are enough politicians the world could do without to bring back Tesla, Einstein...George Carlin...

Then I'd just pedal the thing around to wherever executions are going to happen anyway. Like death row. If there was a war, the military could resurrect particularly good soldiers using prisoners of war.

P.S. I lied, I would resurrect Jesus Christ just to see if it worked.
I had an atheist coworker that wanted to bring back Carlin, but he couldn't think of the 5 he'd want to get rid of. He said repeatedly while I worked there that he doesn't celebrate Christmas, but he celebrates Carlin's birthday because he did tons more for him than Jesus ever did.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
I would sacrifice the next five people whose death sentence is the closest to execution and revive Aldolf Hitler. Because I want to talk to him. Yes, talk. Like a normal, friendly human being. I have questions, lots and lots of questions.
Or maybe revive Moses. Or B. F. Skinner. Or Erich Fromm.
Hmm...

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Bring back Michael Chrichton!

Captcha: Goosebumps

R.L. Stine is alive and well thank you very much.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
shadyh8er said:

Please tell me you'd throw Stephanie Mayer into the machine.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Signa said:
shadyh8er said:

Please tell me you'd throw Stephanie Mayer into the machine.
Oh sorry, didn't notice we had to make a sacrifice. So yeah, with Meyer gone, no Twilight or 50 Shades of Gray (it was Twilight-inspired in case you don't know).