You Have One More Year To Buy New Windows 7 PCs

JLF

Mar 2, 2010
Windows data gathering will get worse when they are soon obliged to gather all the information they can for governmental purposes.

Reply: But you can turn it off in the privacy options. /evil grin or sad face/ Autoupdating.... small tweak in EULA...

Why not also sell the information to other interested parties (not only governmental), there will be no ethical barriers when one country already will be demanding the information. It's smart business and increases revenue a lot, some careful PR can lower discontent greatly.

A keylogger will gather all the personal information needed. All that is needed is that you write your name and address somewhere and all the information is linked to you. (All of your information will be gathered by one registry no searching in different databases required. It's nice how companies make it easy for intelligence "consumers".)

C117

Aug 14, 2009
In my mind, no OS has ever been better than Windows XP. Windows 7 was good, but it lacked a lot of the backwards compatability of its predeccessors (seriously, on my computer the tab under Properties that says "Compatability" has not improved squat). Windows 10... well let's just say I realized yesterday that you can't change your background color of your desktop if you've got a background picture. Something that's been available in every single previous OS I can remember.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i think win 7 will be used for long. i still use win 7 on my rig but have win 10 on my tab and so far its far better then win 8, which i had constant problems with. maybe one day, if its required, i might get a new OS. but for now, win 7 stays.

9tailedflame

Oct 8, 2015
Dammit, 7 is relatively elegant and functional, it works. I don't want to deal with 8 or 10. If they drop support for 7 before they release a decent replacement, i'm done with windows OS.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Lightspeaker said:
Quellist said:
Hopefully by jan 14th 2020 Windows 11 might be out and just might be a bit less of a clusterfuck than Windows 10. Until that day i prefer to ignore the existence of that piece of rubbish
I thought I read somewhere that they're NOT going to be producing a new OS ever again. There's not going to be a new version. Windows 10 is intended to be a "living OS" with constant, automatic, mandatory upgrades via the internet into the future.
Oh i know that's the theory but i really can't imagine it working anymore than when M$ tried to turn Windows into a paid subscription service

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
I upgraded to Windows 10 pretty early. Outside of a few driver issues to begin with it has been really good. I had bought a cheap gaming lappy with Win 8 installed, the OS dragged something fierce. Upgraded to Windows 10 and it runs perfectly. Actually that's the thing, it seems like Windows 10 runs faster than either Win 7 or 8...

Anyway, it's not anywhere near as bad as people are making it out to be. The whole security thing is basically scaremongering. I live in Australia and the government already forces IP's to collect and retain data on their clients. With that happening and Microsoft collecting mainly error reports, hardware/driver specs and personal search histories to integrate into Cortana... it seems pretty benign in comparison.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
I think my relationship to windows seven is like that of a ship hull and a barnacle.

It'll take a week in dry dock to get rid of me.
They'll have to expose my immobile form to the light of day and while vulnerable outside of my natural environment prize me off with a metallic scraper.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
I'm OK with this. Windows 10 is not a disaster like Vista or 8 so in a year or two I can update without problems.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I've got windows 10, it isn't bad but I had to do about 30 minutes worth of messing around with the OS to remove a bunch of the pre installed apps, and then disable all of microsofts spying shit. Also I've had some weird bugs here and there that I've mostly been able to resolve.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Magmarock said:
If we have learned anything from XP is that the community will keep 7 going long after MS abandon it.
The difference here is that Win7 is actually preferable in many ways to the newer OS's. XP was truly inferior to Win7 except in the area of user familiarity but Win7 basically hit the ball out of the park.

Win 10 has some advantages, but most of them are only in the background for techs to care about. It also wrestles away control of the system in a major way that only a tech can undo and sometimes can't now. For example, it has deemed some old file types as bad and refuses to allow the option to play them. This even hits some old video game files. What's silly about that is we're still allowed to run executables which can do literally any kind of harm to your system so taking away the control is just ridiculous. It really doesn't hurt hackers to compile their code in a .exe format.

Anyways, I do like Microsoft. I will enjoy Win 10 as an OS except in microtransactions and stolen consumer control. As far as performance and security it is a decent step forward to warrant consideration. I would worry about other Operating System competitors making significant headway during this generation. If Google can provide a more meaningful OS then we could be looking at true competition in the market. I like both companies so it'd be interesting to see what kind of innovations they accomplish when actually having legitimate competition to push them forward (not that they aren't Mr. and Mrs. innovator already).

Silverbane7

Jul 1, 2012
i think the main problem is that the basic user just does not care what version of windows they are using.
so long as they can still dick about on facebook, tweet their heads off, the kids can watch you tube and granny can still browse those holiday sites, most users wont care.

gamers and those of us who like to keep an eye on what is going in and out of our PCs on the other hand....well we are kinda caught between the rock and the hard place.
most games are produced on ether windows or for steam, so unless steam's going to be working on the google OS, we gamers are out of luck (excepting those who can move over to linux, or use it allready, or use other ways to run simulations/compatability versions of windows inside of other OS's) cause, from the PoV of the companies, who care about linux ect?
buisness gets a backhander/pat on the back from microsoft, so its in their best interests to upgrade fast as they can, government is just as fast because they get discounts faik, if they upgrade so we are going to see workers getting used to win10, as are schools. your kids (if you have em) are going to want to have the same system they have at school so they can do their homework.

i guess, this is one reason i have totaly offline machines. i have an older windowsXP machine that runs only the sims games (1 thru 3) which never gets access to the net. its only for those games, and as such, so long as it does not pitch a fit or blow a component, im good with it. i expect we shall eventualy, have to resort to offline windows7 machines with no internet access aswell, for some games. steam works in offline mode for some stuff, so i expect its a case of download your games you want to keep and then just remove the machine from the net and keep it safe.
untill the day they decree all machines must have an internet connection, and if you even have the gall to have one kept *shock* offline? you get arrested and it gets destroyed. cant have us not connected, right? it's probably going to be the same decade that all TVs are free, but they cant be turned off or the sound muted (during the adverts of course lol) and if you want to turn it off, you have to buy....a licence XD

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
Lightknight said:
Magmarock said:
If we have learned anything from XP is that the community will keep 7 going long after MS abandon it.
The difference here is that Win7 is actually preferable in many ways to the newer OS's. XP was truly inferior to Win7 except in the area of user familiarity but Win7 basically hit the ball out of the park.

Win 10 has some advantages, but most of them are only in the background for techs to care about. It also wrestles away control of the system in a major way that only a tech can undo and sometimes can't now. For example, it has deemed some old file types as bad and refuses to allow the option to play them. This even hits some old video game files. What's silly about that is we're still allowed to run executables which can do literally any kind of harm to your system so taking away the control is just ridiculous. It really doesn't hurt hackers to compile their code in a .exe format.

Anyways, I do like Microsoft. I will enjoy Win 10 as an OS except in microtransactions and stolen consumer control. As far as performance and security it is a decent step forward to warrant consideration. I would worry about other Operating System competitors making significant headway during this generation. If Google can provide a more meaningful OS then we could be looking at true competition in the market. I like both companies so it'd be interesting to see what kind of innovations they accomplish when actually having legitimate competition to push them forward (not that they aren't Mr. and Mrs. innovator already).
Those are some good points but it's that a little contradictory? It's not good that that Win 10 thinks it knows better for your system then you do. As someone who builds PC's I can tell you that is opening a Pandora's box of problems.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Magmarock said:
Lightknight said:
Magmarock said:

Those are some good points but it's that a little contradictory? It's not good that that Win 10 thinks it knows better for your system then you do. As someone who builds PC's I can tell you that is opening a Pandora's box of problems.
Sure, and I am a computer tech that spends my days calling into large corporations across the globe to explain why their room full of Network Admins fucked up.

While this is frustrating to you and me, it really shouldn't be visible from the average user. I'd warrant that a p0 issue free win10 would probably be loved by consumers. For most things, you and I would probably enjoy it just fine until we get to the parts where it doesn't let us do something even if we run as admin or whatever. But I'm sure we can find workarounds and patches for that too. Considering the better resource management, security options and backup solutions that win10 provides, it may be worth the little control we lose.

The microtransactions in solitaire though...

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
Lightknight said:
Magmarock said:
Lightknight said:
Magmarock said:

Sure, and I am a computer tech that spends my days calling into large corporations across the globe to explain why their room full of Network Admins fucked up.

While this is frustrating to you and me, it really shouldn't be visible from the average user. I'd warrant that a p0 issue free win10 would probably be loved by consumers. For most things, you and I would probably enjoy it just fine until we get to the parts where it doesn't let us do something even if we run as admin or whatever. But I'm sure we can find workarounds and patches for that too. Considering the better resource management, security options and backup solutions that win10 provides, it may be worth the little control we lose.

The microtransactions in solitaire though...
Yeah there are programs such as destroy windows 10 spying which can help. Personally once I tilled all updates manually I disable the updates. What they don't tell you is that if you disable auto updates you can't install them manually either because the built in engine that does it is disabled.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
But the OS itself will still be available for years to come for volume licence or MSDN subscriptions :). I hope they do a slimmed down version of it at some point like they did with Windows FLP ( Windows fundimentals for legacy PCs) that was basically XP with everything but IE and Remote desktop torn out. that will keep all the early to mid 200s core 2 duo laptops running for a while to come :).

But honestly , the few little privacy niggles aside i am loving 10

Windows is hit and miss i find , 7 was a good one 10 is a good one.

The ones that where worth it where NT4, 2k, 7, 10 , all the others where garbage , the whole DOS line 95 98 ME where terrible. I stuck with RISC OS until i got an old PC with Nt4 on it

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
I guess that will be the time I save up enough money to get myself a Cintiq Companion 3 when it comes out.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I'll put whatever I LIKE on my machine, thank you. Don't like it, Microsoft? Too bad.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Magmarock said:
its horrible for tech literate people, which is a whooping 1% of people using PCs. MS is now going the "idiot proofing until a better idiot comes along" route.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Strazdas said:
Magmarock said:
its horrible for tech literate people, which is a whooping 1% of people using PCs. MS is now going the "idiot proofing until a better idiot comes along" route.
Precisely. Now it's just up to us 1% to work around their blockades. I'm not entirely sure Microsoft isn't counting on us being able to either.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Lightknight said:
Strazdas said:
Magmarock said:
Precisely. Now it's just up to us 1% to work around their blockades. I'm not entirely sure Microsoft isn't counting on us being able to either.
Considering some of their decisions..... youk now that white shadow behind text in title bar thats in windows 7? pretty much impossible to do in 8 without turning off the aero. Dark grey letters on black title bar - apparently totally acceptable design.