You know, for a website about "Escapism" talking about current events that's happening in reality seems to be more popular.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
And then when it's asked to chill out the response isn't "Hey, my bad" it's "Why should I care?"
Brilliant
I'm being chill man, just enjoying the show and stuff, it's not like I can control what other people do so I may as well just have a laugh about it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't care?
Was that a question or statement. I can't tell.

Have you laid out why I should find it to be a problem
You already did. Re-read your previous posts. Not gonna explain something that is already obvious and not worth the time and energy. Not falling for that trap. Don't bother responding to this, if you're acting this oblivious about it.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Was that a question or statement. I can't tell.

You already did. Re-read your previous posts. Not gonna explain something that is already obvious and not worth the time and energy. Not falling for that trap. Don't bother responding to this, if you're acting this oblivious about it.
Both in a sense. I don't care currently and am questioning somewhat why you think I would and somewhat why you're implying I should.

It's not playing oblivious, it's that what you think is obvious isn't something I agree on with you.

Ghostrick Dorklord

Ordinary High School Girl
Legacy
Oct 2, 2009
Through the Looking Glass
Country
Wonderland
I'm actually pretty shy and really don't want to get into a thread war about things which is why I'm more or less quiet. Yeah there's things that I like here and there but I'm not too open about my interests on here yet. I'm not sure what you can do about activity in general because I'm not an expert on this kind of thing so yeah.

Though personally I don't think anyone is ready for my actual online persona yet so be glad I've been restraining myself to not annoy everyone.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
As someone who represents a great deal of the problems let me respond.

When I go to Reddit, I go to say ask a liberal, and then I get downvoted for smack-talking Biden. It's all echo chambers there, I gave a game an 8/10(Star Wars squadrons) on there, and I still got downvoted to 15, granted I know many people here would downvote me, but here people debate me, there people downvote you, and move on.

If Reddit was less of an echo chamber I would go there, but I can't.
Oh, is Squadrons good?

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
This is why I've ditched reddit the past couple days in favor of checking out this site. For me, I think reddit is a very toxic website in and of itself, and I a big part in that is the points system. It turns every post, every reply, every comment, everything, into a popularity contest. You get the same viewpoints over and over again because those conform to the general populous. And the viewpoints that are dissenting of the majority go straight to the bottom, never to be seen. Granted, a lot of the comments at the bottom very well deserve to be there, but sometimes they really don't.

Reddit will be an echo chamber until the day it dies. It's just such a shame that it's a powerhouse of the social media landscape now. The tipping point for me leaving was when I saw the most facebook-style image macro on the second page of /r/all. Not only has the site gone downhill, it was never great to begin with. Forums should be separated and run on different websites for different topics, moderated by different teams of moderators. That way when you go to a forum, you know what the subject is going to be. Good moderators will also prevent bleeding of other subjects into forums where they don't belong (Politics into gaming forums, firearms into veganism forums, etc..)

Unfortunate side is, nobody wants to be the small mom and pop forum dedicated to a niche topic that gets 50-60 users a day. They want to get millions of users, and turn a profit on their website. So of course they're going to mimic what reddit does, to an extent. Anyway, that was my ramble for the day.
The big companies have also started shutting down any forums they had on their sites too. Why moderate a forum when you can let some other dedicated site do all that work for you? Even better if you run some kind of large competitive online game, now the complaints about balance will be out of sight and mind and you won't have to deal with them.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
As someone who represents a great deal of the problems let me respond.

When I go to Reddit, I go to say ask a liberal, and then I get downvoted for smack-talking Biden. It's all echo chambers there, I gave a game an 8/10(Star Wars squadrons) on there, and I still got downvoted to 15, granted I know many people here would downvote me, but here people debate me, there people downvote you, and move on.

If Reddit was less of an echo chamber I would go there, but I can't.
I sure as hell would not down vote you for liking squadrons. Like what you like. There's my main reason why I hate Reddit. A guy I know on the Devil May Cry forum mentioned a similar thing.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I'm being chill man, just enjoying the show and stuff, it's not like I can control what other people do so I may as well just have a laugh about it.
I know, that wasn't directed at you.

I mean, instead of like talking it out, you're just sorta passive aggressive and want people to do what you want cuz you whined.
After what DJShaddycat said I think a little bit of critical thinking might've been in order. One could've easily looked back at how the thread was devolving into exactly what the original post mentioned, and at that point, one might think "Oh, I'm contributing to the derailing that the original post spoke of" and stopped. But your response was "I don't care, tell me why I should." Should be pretty obvious why one should care at that point, but you firmly stood in the stance that it doesn't mean dick to you and you wanted to keep going.

If it needs to be pointed out in clear cut words... You should care because it'd be nice to not have a thread turn into a pissing contest between a handful of users, and if need be it could be taken to PM instead so everyone else could enjoy the topic without having to dig through the mess

Reactions: BrawlMan

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells

After what DJShaddycat said I think a little bit of critical thinking might've been in order. One could've easily looked back at how the thread was devolving into exactly what the original post mentioned, and at that point, one might think "Oh, I'm contributing to the derailing that the original post spoke of" and stopped. But your response was "I don't care, tell me why I should." Should be pretty obvious why one should care at that point, but you firmly stood in the stance that it doesn't mean dick to you and you wanted to keep going.

If it needs to be pointed out in clear cut words... You should care because it'd be nice to not have a thread turn into a pissing contest between a handful of users, and if need be it could be taken to PM instead so everyone else could enjoy the topic without having to dig through the mess
Hmm. So yeah I think the thing is you seem to think because *you* dislike X I'm supposed to particularly care and that should be obvious and natural and lack any perspective on what I view it as (not a pissing contest). It's not really derailing anyways, I just think someone was being uh... sorta obviously off in behavior vs stated reasons... Not that the OP actually said anything about derailing either actually. Think you're reaching a bit to justify trying to shut down things you don't like seeing. Fine enough to be conflict avoidant but uh, idk if you actually think the first post said anything about derailing maybe reread it and consider how much you're projecting your own feelings on it.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I'm not sure the site was ever dedicated to keep their members in a state of constant escapism. Long ago they had Jim Sterling and Extra Credits here already pointing out how the gaming industry sausages were made.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I'm not sure the site was ever dedicated to keep their members in a state of constant escapism. Long ago they had Jim Sterling and Extra Credits here already pointing out how the gaming industry sausages were made.
I haven’t watched ZP for a long time. But even before his nonsense before the event that shall not be named, he was pretty vocal about his political stance

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
For my 2 cents on it.

1) Politics is a lot of drama and that attract comments a lot.
2) Things are getting more politicised all the time.
3) I got dragged kicking and screaming into politics years ago and if I'm going to have to deal with talk about them I'm going to come out swinging
4) Oddly gaming seems to have not been so dramatic as of late
5) I could talk other stuff but talking about weird indie games or strange films most people likely haven't heard of probably isn't great for discussions. Politics is unfortunately more readily accessible that say talking about the show Killjoys or how Michael Bay's Black Sails is shockingly good as a series and proves that apparently all his explosions needed to work better was to be wood exploding not merely balls of fire and some chunks of rubble.

Mainly because most other websites are sensible enough to moderate their forums more closely than this place to stop some of the rampant idiocy that inevitably occurs otherwise.
No they're really not lol. It's just many of them seem to have seen one side dominate all and eventually start to take over. So there are no good faith attempts to talk on other places.

Politics and gaming aren't some kind of mutually exclusive things that don't intersect. They sometimes do.

Veganism and firearms probably don't outside of tangentially to some philosophical discussion concerning what harm one can cause etc.
They're not mutually exclusive but I'd argue gaming has experience more outright partisanship in recent years. E.G. "Don't support my game if you don't support my politics" or "If you bought W game you support X politics" or "If you support Y positions you must believe Z positions".

Veganism? (Looks at PETA and their video game stuff oh there's some there).

Firearms less so but there was a push in around 2014 from some to call out video games support of the arms industry. Turns out the industry really doesn't and uses the same thing as films where they can feature real world items in them now though without having to buy the rights to use names etc.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Oh, sorry my insomnia came back recently with a vengeance and it's driving me insane I'm not sure I understand words anymore and I'm pretty surer I don't think I'm human anymore.