You know what pisses me off? Nostalga worship....(rant-tasic)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
this is a rant......an emotional rant

ohhh boy where do I start

ok I dont think there's anything wrong with you know liking stuff from the past

OR even preffering media from the past over the media availible today...

no what pisses me off...like REALLY annoys me is when people cannot take off their fucking nostalga googles

and by that I mean they seem convinced that (you know...for some reason) that essentially through some miriacle of the universe the time when they were young...EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING was better (because you know..they are special)

music/games/movies/people/the world it was the BEST EVAR time in history, (and the 80's seems to get this most often)

and then the fabric of the universe just HAPPENED to unravel when they grew up

now the reason I'm saying it like this is to me its completley rediculous

it actually does not make any logical sense, why do people lose all persepctive when it comes to this?

I mean some Idiot (yes Im being completley serious here) says that everyhing was better in the 80's

really? what about the 90's?

because you know...

shawshank redemption
resoviour dogs
Pulp fiction
Yoshi's island
donkey kong country
silence of the lambs
fight club
orcana of time
banjo kazooie 1
golden eye
silent hill
planescape torment
starship troopers
rockos modern life
hey arnold
pinky and the brain

that was all crap right?

anyway the 2000's is where things REALLY started to fall apart

you know when we all got shit like...

Requiem for a dream
beyond good and evil
KOTOR
kill bill
harry potter 1
shadow of the colussus
GTA
pirartes of the caribean
lots of stuff from PIXAR
silent hill 2
lord of the rings
prince of persia series
half life 2

but the current times...oh yes its all gone to hell now

Inception
the dark knight
black swan
Inglorious basterds
district 9
assasins creed
Bioshock
batman AA
uncharted
mass effect
dragon age
Iron man
WALL-E (WALL-E!!!!!)
true grit
portal

ok my point is sure you might not actually like any of this stuff, its subjectve

BUT to say with 100% certainty that there is a lack of quality seems rather deluded

the movie/games industry has its issues

BUT it also did back then (what really? it wasnt all rainbows and unicorns?)

my rant is over...feel free to tear it apart

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Well I know in my case, I don't really have the opinion that the 80's were the best. I'm more of the midset that ANY time period would have been better than NOW.

Patrick Dare

Jul 7, 2010
This really aggravates me when media figures spout this off. About how "oh America used to be so much better, lets get back to the way America was, the real America." Are you fucking kidding me? What America was that? The America that allowed slavery? The America that trampled on people's basic civil rights because their skin was a different color? The America full of propoganda and hate convincing neighbors to turn in neighbors on some bullshit belief they're communists with no evidence? The America that shoots innocent college students protesting a war they saw as immoral? Seriously, how was America ever better than it was now as a whole? Maybe certain things (like the economy) were better at certain times but would you really want to trade everything else for that? I sure as fuck wouldn't. I'm not saying everything in 2011 is peachy-keen, rosey sunglasses but come on.

siahsargus

Jul 28, 2010
Antari said:
Well I know in my case, I don't really have the opinion that the 80's were the best. I'm more of the midset that ANY time period would have been better than NOW.
Well you could be living in ancient Rome, china, the Victorian era, or during the reformation. Hell, until recently, I probably would have been shunned from most polite society for being a gay Irish German Jew.

I would rather be born sometime in the future then the past.

Music evolves, fashion evolves, science and technology become more advanced, things are more convenient, people are more tolerant. In the face of statistics, nostalgia for anything is downright absurd, if not completely ludicrous.

Fieldy409 said:
i think the best movies were made in the 1600s
This is a perfect laconic post. The technology for making a movie - let alone a good movie did not exist until the 1920s. Literacy only began to pick up the the 1600s, and Europe was still a nasty, brutish place. The future is always preferable to the past. If I had a choice what decade I was born in, I would chose the one farthest in the future, because the future builds on the past. I wouldn't want to be born later than 1990 because of the internet. There is a deep, thick layer of irony when the internet talks about the eighties nostalgically, the internet wasn't even fully formed in the eighties.

Technology is constantly moving forward, why would we ever want to look back?

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
siahsargus said:
Antari said:
Well you could be living in ancient Rome, china, the Victorian era, or during the reformation. Hell, until recently, I probably would have been shunned from most polite society for being a gay Irish German Jew.

Music evolves, fashion evolves, science and technology become more advanced, things are more convenient, people are more tolerant. In the face of statistics, nostalgia for anything is downright absurd, if not completely ludicrous.
Well if I was in general living in those times, ya that'd kind of suck. But as far as the generations covered by gaming. Right now is about the worst its ever been ... the dark ages even.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
You know what pisses me off? People who get pissed off at such inconsequential things like nostalgia-worship. >:O

More seriously, I've never met anyone IRL who thinks movies/games/books/etc in the 80s were all better than movies today. I'm pretty sure it's just an internet bandwagon.

siahsargus

Jul 28, 2010
Antari said:
siahsargus said:
Well if I was in general living in those times, ya that'd kind of suck. But as far as the generations covered by gaming. Right now is about the worst its ever been ... the dark ages even.
The dark ages, perhaps from the creative standpoint of what we could consider the "Mainstream" triple-A industry. But you have to realize that their are many indie developers who put out good titles. Also the "Casual Games" market has expanded massively. Even for mediocre shooters, the bar has been raised considerable in the last five years. Just because last year had more games you like doesn't make last year better in the big picture.

NickCooley

Sep 19, 2009
Typical back in my day, get off my lawn, walking stick shaking, nostalgia blinded fools. But if they insist on living in the past then let them, leaves more present goodies for us.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
dyre said:
You know what pisses me off? People who get pissed off at such inconsequential things like nostalgia-worship. >:O

More seriously, I've never met anyone IRL who thinks movies/games/books/etc in the 80s were all better than movies today. I'm pretty sure it's just an internet bandwagon.
you know what ALSO pisses me off? when people actually take the effort to post about how pointless a topic is...if you think its such a waste of time why take the time to let us know? it adds nothing (and how is it less important than "you avatar has done x!"

haha ok I'm kidding

anyway you could be right, its a HUGE thing in youtube comments (acording to them good music died each decade)

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Nostalgia is something that I can enjoy every once in a while, but I don't like it when people refuse to believe facts because of it.

That only really pisses me off in two occaisions:

Older Pokemon cloud ones vision that their shouldn't be new pokemon (Hence I hate the phrase "X generation didn't happen")

Golden eye still lives up to this day compared to other FPS's

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Antari said:
siahsargus said:
Antari said:

any substancal proof to back up such a claim?

I mean there is the subjectivity factor

PLUS how come all MY favorite games are from this gen...with not many from the previous gen? if what oyu say was REALLY true then how do you explain that? am I just dumb or somthing?

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
siahsargus said:
Antari said:
siahsargus said:
The dark ages, perhaps from the creative standpoint of what we could consider the "Mainstream" triple-A industry. But you have to realize that their are many indie developers who put out good titles. Also the "Casual Games" market has expanded massively. Even for mediocre shooters, the bar has been raised considerable in the last five years. Just because last year had more games you like doesn't make last year better in the big picture.
Dark ages from the standpoint of customer satisfaction, innovation, and creativity. How many people do you see on a near constant search for something different now?

And ya some Indies are trying very hard to claw their way into an industry totally monopolized by a small group of distributors, I admire them for that. Others however need to start thinking outside the corporate box and go beyond a 2d scroller. With the abilities built into alot of programming languages now its almost unacceptable.

As well Casual games are nice and all. But not everyone wants to play a game that takes absolutely no effort at all to complete, other than just proceeding through it like an interactive movie.

Finally the rampant hack and slash approach game companies have taken to overall content in triple A titles is downright criminal. It won't be long until your just paying for some textures and sounds at this rate.

I definately see the industry in a heapload of trouble if they can't find a way to adapt without attacking the customer or the product. To me its definately the dark age of gaming.

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
You know what pisses me off? When people think pressing the enter key after every sentence or phrase will make their post look longer and more impressive! Not saying anyone here is guilty of that of course...
I like old stories, and I look new stories. I even like new stories, that ripped off old stories, that ripped off older stories. Not too much conflict for me.

However, some things have really just died in my opinion. Pretty much all new music sucks. When I say sucks, it means: In my opinion this is not pleasant or good. Western cartoons also suck now. Now this time when I say suck, it means: It is bad, and completely fact. I feel bad for the children growing up with these terrible cartoons. Not even the old cartoons are safe, 'they' (by they I mean... the people making cartoons?) are screwing those up by not letting them end.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Vault101 said:
Antari said:
siahsargus said:
Antari said:

any substancal proof to back up such a claim?

I mean there is the subjectivity factor

PLUS how come all MY favorite games are from this gen...with not many from the previous gen? if what oyu say was REALLY true then how do you explain that? am I just dumb or somthing?
There is still a factor for preference of gaming. If you like shooters ... the 80's wasn't a great era ... by any means. The type of games you like can make a major difference to the era you liked. My favorite games are stuff like Civilization .. turn based strat. Which is nearly the only surviving one. As well I play alot of RPG's .. which are story critical. When you can't sit back and rely on shiny graphics you have to get creative with your story to hold the interest of the reader, ask any author.

Not being in love with a particular generation of gaming doesn't make anyone dumb or smart. Its all personal preference. As well in my case a good number of these companies have given me good reason over the years not to treat them with anything approaching friendliness. So it can also fall to personal experience as well.

warthoggunner

Oct 11, 2009
Witch burnings... they were fun... good times.

jk

Well, serious now:
Games: I liked N64 games, but times (and graphics change)
Halo 1 and a few others, that's as nostalgic as it gets for me.
Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast, Mario Kart 64

Movies? Old and new, both great.
I enjoy James Cagney movies from the 40s, but big special effects
blockbusters from 2 years ago are just as great
(not Transformers... )

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Everything today is terrible compared to this: Batman ain't got nothing on this.

In all seriousness though, Agreed with OP. And some games are getting rich off it *glares at pokémon*.
I critically examine the things I'm nostalgic about, and the only games that have stood up for me are Spyro 2+3 and Ratchet & Clank 2+3+gladiator. And those are amazing...

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Vault101 said:
dyre said:

you know what ALSO pisses me off? when people actually take the effort to post about how pointless a topic is...if you think its such a waste of time why take the time to let us know? it adds nothing (and how is it less important than "you avatar has done x!"

haha ok I'm kidding

anyway you could be right, its a HUGE thing in youtube comments (acording to them good music died each decade)
Yeah, it's big in youtube. But if all the comments on youtube reflected people's actual thoughts and opinions IRL, what a terrible world we'd live in D: