You know you've been in the escapist for too long when

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
The thread was going nowhere. You guys just go in circles all day. It was like that even in the old days of the escapist.
If a thread is going to devolve into a back and forth convo like that, best to take it to a private channel if you want to continue it. Always have to keep in mind how some random person could come in here, take things out of context and then I have fires to put out. I don't want to have to worry about putting out fires.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
When people are getting way too heavy and real in a thread that's supposed to be a forum game

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
When people are getting way too heavy and real in a thread that's supposed to be a forum game
Tis the Escapist after all; it is a microsm of how, try as we might, we can never truly escape our true selves....

Also dick jokes

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
When you find yourself looking over the edge into the yawning abyss that is the argument that you spent so long getting out of and this feeling hits you:

I need to quit sticking my dick in there, I'm not cut out for that shit

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
When the forum administrator doesn't understand the complex subtleties and nuances of your argument and mistakes it for being off-topic.
Nick probably doesn't want people stanning for nonce's on the public forums, making it a seedier and less advertiser friendly location. In other words, "nuanced" or not, it's bad for business.

But I won't be repeating that argument here, so I'll leave it at that.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Forum games have always been like that, maybe you don't know because 'cause you weren't part of the crew back in the day, but while it wasn't common it was pretty normal for people to discuss serious things or straight up have a meltdown in a forum game, it was also fairly normal for them to be off-topic, at least until the Forum Games group was form and it kinda became the norm for those things to happen there instead.

OT: When you remember when you had a meltdown in the forum games and how people spammed you with messages asking what was wrong.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
You know you have been on escapist too long when you can say " Horseman" and everyone knows who that is... XD

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
When you find yourself being funnier (or more obnoxious, depends who's asking) when drunk. That's one of the nice perks of being a happy drunk I find.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
When you've realized it's been a decade and you're still occasionally poking in here just to see if X person is still behaving like they have for the ten years prior without a hint of self-awareness or self-reflection, to the point you're genuinely curious if it's just a persona they've evolved for this specific board and they're actually nothing like this in person.

When you've realized doing the above is just perpetuating a self-destructive cycle and is, fundamentally, even more of a waste of time than your normal wastes of time.

When you've realized you're actually ok with that and proceed as usual.

Then you

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
When you see forum games being used to dump personal baggage into everyone's lap.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
When your reaction to coming back to this decade old thread is:

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
When R&P CE is too filled up with crap for you to bother reading after a long day of work, so you just retreat to the safe and slow confines of Off-Topic.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
When CE in 2020 starts feeling like R&P in 2016, down to the same people saying the same things.

Except Saelune and Zontar. May they continue internet hate-fucking to their heart's content, wherever they are now.

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
When you see houseman posting obvious flame bait that will just go in circles all day.

When CE in 2020 starts feeling like R&P in 2016, down to the same people saying the same things.

Except Saelune and Zontar. May they continue internet hate-fucking to their heart's content, wherever they are now.
Don't forget about Lunatic. He added a lot of diversity being a gay furry alt right person. At least we have tstorm who is the resident ass kisser for Donald. And he is quite the fatalist.

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
When you start to seriously wonder whether it's a good thing or a bad thing that during this turbulent year, and with all the animosity going around, that the thread with the most momentum for the past week has been the one about that dumb Netflix movie.