You must change a paradise into a hell, by changing one thing...

vashthblackseed

Mar 31, 2011
Everyone has a brand new organ that produces several chemicals most of which make removing the organ or attempting to stunt the production of said chemicals lethal; however, that's not the fun part. One of those chemicals is similar to Scarecrows terror inducing drug. Last but not least, this new organ increases production of its chemicals based upon the quantity of endorphins and/or adrenaline within the system.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
My one change is a sophisticated one: This world is a paradise, but it's the one as described in The Futurological Congress.

In the book, a man has woken up after a long freeze after his visit TO the Futurological Congress to a future world which appears to be paradise, but it is a chemically-controlled sort of world. Everything in it is augmented or controlled by the application of various compounds. Aggression is gone because there's something in the water keeping you calm, food is artificially inflated in terms of taste or scent, meaning it could actually be crap and not matter, and people even take snorts of things in order to experience the rush and illusion of them killing you if they don't like you. Moreover, language has moved on so that english is a bad and sloppy 1984-like derivitive...and everyone makes quaint-but-stupid jokes because their chem-addled brains are about as thick as molasses.

The whole world is not what it seems. It's actually all a cast-illusion brought about by the mascons, the compound meant to fool the brain entirely in terms of food, surroundings, and activity. What you see isn't what's happening, what you're doing may not be happening, and you may actually be living in a really shitty environment without even knowing...all while eating a hearty dish of gruel with grey lumps in it. This is done because the world needs to be controlled carefully due to over-population and contention. It takes a powerful counter-agent to cast off the effects of the mascons and the whole thing is terribly shocking.

Because the counter-agent originally used was actually a fake derivitive made to fool people who get too close to the truth, the real one shows that the world is ten-times as over-populated as originally seen, they're running out of real food to give to people or real possessions to pass around for the illusion of activity, the weather is like nuclear winter, and many people are running around as grotesque half-machine beings without even realizing it. The whole of the world is shit and you don't know it because you're controlled in a far more simpler and yet totally insidious way than the Matrix.

Or, alternatively, you're lying in a sewer somewhere.

Imat

Feb 21, 2009
Simplest challenge in the world: Introduce the internet. Mos Eisley was voted one of the Galaxy's Top 10 places to live, before the internet was introduced.

Dirge Eterna

Apr 13, 2013
AlphaCookie said:
Th37thTrump3t said:
AlphaCookie said:
I would make sure that no matter where you might run to, a just audible enough to notice light pinging sound is heard. You can never naturally learn to tune it out, and it always sounds distant, yet close enough that you're are compelled to look for it. Attempt to enjoy anything with that constant nag, it'd drive anyone mad after some time. Then after about 5 years of exposure, it'd suddenly stop long enough for you to finally calm down and then start right back up again.
So... you would give everyone tinnitus.

OT: I would make it permanently rainy. Not like storming, but that shitty rain that makes the day feel gloomy and shitty.
Pretty much yes, but more severe. Tinnitus sufferers can grow tolerant and eventually at least partially tune out the ping over time. My ping is much more severely annoying than that and can never be tuned out. It's like someone is always 10 feet away with a dog whistle tuned specifically for your ear.

It'd be living hell.
I have tinnitus from being around jet engines and gunfire while in the Air Force. And it never, ever goes away. I have yet to be able to tune it out and it has been over 10 years. I have to have a white noise generating device like a fan or something on for me to sleep, otherwise the noise will keep me awake for days. It is always there, always loud and annoying. I have a very difficult time hearing my 7 year old son as his voice is still high pitched and in the range that the tinnitus covers up.

Neyon

May 3, 2009
Everybody has a super powered sense of smell that you can't turn off
Everything and everyone is invisible
There is no gravity and nobody can move
Everybody loses the ability to understand basic maths
Everybody can taste the bacteria on their tongue
Everybody is itchy all the time
Nobody can sleep, ever
For everything that comes in a left & right pair, only the left is available
Every single person speaks a different language, nobody can understand anybody else in any way and everybody is lonely
The instant you fall in love you are separated forever

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
Master of the Skies said:
A general feeling that there's always something better. Remove the ability to ever be satisfied by what you do. Food may taste good, but you'll always feel there's something that can be better, it's just not good *enough*. And since the fact is you're in paradise and nothing *can* be better, this new desire can never ever be satisfied.
Wow, this is actually subtle as all get-out, and would no doubt be all the more effective for it.

As for me, I'd have a massive clock that played "Never Gonna Give You Up" in its entirety every half hour.

Using a glass harmonica.

There would be much weeping and gnashing of teeth, to be sure.

Neyon said:
Everybody has a super powered sense of smell that you can't turn off
Everything and everyone is invisible
There is no gravity and nobody can move
Everybody loses the ability to understand basic maths
Everybody can taste the bacteria on their tongue
Everybody is itchy all the time
Nobody can sleep, ever
For everything that comes in a left & right pair, only the left is available
Every single person speaks a different language, nobody can understand anybody else in any way and everybody is lonely
The instant you fall in love you are separated forever
The thread parameter was "change 1 thing," not "change 10 things." :p

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
lacktheknack said:
OT: Everything is now as fragile as glass.
...ever try to break a plate-glass window? Or seen a 200lb man standing on a single slender wine glass?

I suppose if everything were as brittle as glass, anything of any strength would be insanely heavy.

...but you gave me an idea. Make everything and everyone feel as hard, slick and brittle as glass. No give to anything, yet everyone can still move around. Your blankets no longer bend. Clothing splinters and falls off if you try to move while wearing it (good luck putting any more on ever again). Your lover('s') body parts are now immovable and dry (penetration of any sort would be impossible). Food splinters as you eat it, and you taste nothing, as neither your skin nor the food are porous in any way. hair still grows, but refuses to bend without breaking; eventually everyone is either bald or very... spiky. Water is crunchy... yet somehow your body still processes it and goes on living. Speaking of... your excrement splinters on its way out, but it can't pierce you, it's not terribly painful... just very uncomfortable, takes a very long time and is difficult to clean up. Everyone would feel constipated all the time as a side-effect of this change.

mrhappy1489

May 12, 2011
Change one thing you say, well I hope this counts; I would change the mind of half the population to think that there chosen Religion, Philosophy, Science whatever is the correct one and cannot ever believe otherwise, however the one that I'd choose would be wrong on some fundamental level and if that's not an option I still think that there'd be those who disagree with it. Originally they'd work fine with the other half, but given time certain sects would grow and eventually it would turn into hell. Nothing destroys society quite like and inability to agree with one another.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Nouw said:
Everything feels like butter. Everything. Try gripping anything now! *Maniacal laugh.*
The song in music video in Nouw's avatar is the only song that ever exists.

I thought I understood Korean, but that song is just soo incomprehensible.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
Mandatory bimonthly Jeff Dunham shows. I don't care what sort of paradise existed outside of that, I would be off to the suicide tree with some rope.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Absolutely everything in the world, except the humans, bounces like on a trampoline! You'd have to chase anything you wanted, sleep would be horrible, it would be dangerous.. And imagine going to the toilet when it just bounces around... It would be hell!

proctorninja2

a single man with a sword
Jun 5, 2010
i would just remove all the pupils from peoples eyes, suddenly this paradise has a uneasy suability of cold dead eyes staring, watching.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Send everything back to the days when personal computers were just coming out and make everyone stuck with what the Mac 1 gaave you. No modding or programming for advancement, youre stuck with 64kBs of ram and thats all you get. Everyone. For life. With a dial up connection if you want to hit the internet.

zama174 said:
Have an endless loop of Friday playing all.. year.. long. 24/7.. You will all go insane.
You act like its that hard to drive yourself deaf :).

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
All bathrooms will require you to take one of those number tickets (like at the DMV), and there will be a minimum 45 minutes wait.

So, where will you be when diarrhea strikes?

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Air itself smell rancid in a way that's impossible to get used to. Forever, the world will smell awful. Since eating is tied to smell, things will taste worse, which will likely also be impossible to get used to due to the rule with the smell. That awful smell will become mentally tied with everything, including living itself.

Deal with it.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I would make it so everyone would be hearing Just-in Beaver forever as background music.

Alternative: i would make people selfish which means they want to be better than the rest creating constant paranoya and competition. Oh, wait, thats not hell thats just life.

Alternative: Make them think its hell. That will bring insanity fast enough.

Alternative: Everyne sees another person exactly like how they themelves look. There is a mental disorder like that and trust me its not nice.

Binnsyboy said:
Everyone has a permanent runny nose. Try to enjoy a Paradise's lack of inhibition with that going on.

Alternate, but related: Everyone wakes up with a coating of phlegm in their mouth and throat.
I have a permanent runny nose. Am i in hell?