You Too Can Backstab In Dust 514

Korzack

Apr 28, 2010
Wow, and FPS which gives people even More reasons to act like dicks... Actually, I can see that working really well! As a concept, it sounds amazing, I don't think it'll ever come to PC because there's no way to balance across the platforms unless you set up separate servers. I look forward to certain people becoming hugely successful mercenaries + then getting Dog-piled by some 50 players because they can + the developers have pretty much just let the EVE galaxies govern themselves

Danarok

Oct 19, 2008
Crikey, that cinematic kinda overdoes it on the grey/brown colour palette. The screenshots at least do look better, but why on earth would they make it a PS3 exclusive? I suppose trying not to steal their current PC market share by dragging players away from EVE. It's a shame since I'd be pretty tempted to give it a look over it was on the PC.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Surely could have been better? Rather than the FPS player begging for help from the orbital strike why not have the corps pay and fund their own mercs to capture resources or engage in skirmishes.

Why not have "Teams" of people or certain individual skill levels. You then get paid money to fight, the worse you are the cheaper you are, for a corp to capture a planet or fight another merc team. You then complete objectives vs AI planetary defence troopers OR (If another corp has hired players also) against another merc team. You take contracts and get paid to turn up into the match at the given time to fight. Your objectives are not just death match, capturing resources intact is an important factor and battles can rage in different places, ranging from siege to skirmish warfare.

VERY skilled corporations will own and fund their own elite teams who know and communicate to take an objective. Lower ones will have rag tag bunches of variously skilled players, hire and chosen based on match record. Outside of this mode "Training" team deathmatch is possible in normal modes and you can turn "Make me hire-able" on and off.

Doesnt this sound fucking awesome? I hope the game is more like this.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
Samantha Burt said:
You've missed the point a bit; this is going to be integrated, in real time, into EVE. I can load up my destroyer, fly it to a planet and start nuking them from orbit (it's the only way to be sure) if I want. Or if they pay me enough. I could have supplies sent to a soldier in battle, as far as I know. Someone in a completely different part of the world, on a completely different plaform, playing a completely different game. It's as Massively Multiplayer as you can get.

OT: I'm not surprised. EVE has always been about organic PvP so this makes sense. What I look forward to is the whining about losing your equipment when you die :D
It still plays exactly like any old fps. I have been playing it for a couple months now and although it hasnt been integrated with eve for very long nothing has changed. It is still the exact same as playing mag except that its spawn system makes call of dutys look flawless.

As for losing your equipment that is a complete joke right now as you make massive amounts of money from each match. My current outfit costs around 200,000 a death and I lose money once every twenty matches or so.

Danarok said:
Crikey, that cinematic kinda overdoes it on the grey/brown colour palette. The screenshots at least do look better, but why on earth would they make it a PS3 exclusive? I suppose trying not to steal their current PC market share by dragging players away from EVE. It's a shame since I'd be pretty tempted to give it a look over it was on the PC.
The current maps are dirt, dirt, dirt, and dirty metal buildings. Literally the only colours you will see are brown and grey. They have said that they want to add vegetation in the future though.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
gigastar said:
erttheking said:
And MMOFPS...uh...is...that even a thing?
Planetside 2, Team Fortress 2, Firefall, Tribes: Ascend, Blacklight Retribution.

Those are just the ones i know of. All of them free to play too.
TF2, Tribes, and Blacklight aren't MMOFPS', they're just online shooters.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Woodsey said:
gigastar said:
erttheking said:
Planetside 2, Team Fortress 2, Firefall, Tribes: Ascend, Blacklight Retribution.

Each are massively multiplayer and online, seems to fit the bill to me.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
gigastar said:
Woodsey said:
gigastar said:
erttheking said:

Each are massively multiplayer and online, seems to fit the bill to me.
"Massively" would be several hundred (pushing it) to several thousands on each server. Not 64 (as with TF2).

TheProfessor234

Aug 20, 2010
Even though I'll never play EvE or Dust, I really really like this concept. Two different games, same universe, and there are perks to connecting to people in each game.

I'm all for games working into other games and such.

Sub_Soldier

Jun 11, 2010
Abomination said:
Fasckira said:
Abomination said:
But oh, it's only for Playstation.
I'm 80% sure I read somewhere that it will come to PC in due course which is something at least!

Hopefully the battles will be able to have some effect back in Eve. Like if one planet is owned by Corporation A and is generating money into Eve then mercs hired by Corporation B take control, the money flow is changed. Stuff like that would make the requirement for Eve players to actively search out Dust players a very useful one.
How will Playstation players compete with PC gamers if they're on the same battlefield? On average the mouse-keyboard combo offers a far more precise method of targetting for first person shooters. The PC also offers better communication features... and who knows about modifications.

You can use mouse/keyboard to play this game even though its on the PS3.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Shinsei-J said:
You sir have intrigued me.
I'll definitely be checking it out soon.
Thank god I own a PS3, my JRPGs are the reason I got it, the exclusives are the reason I love it.
Quick off topic question, what are some good JRPGs for the PS3? I really want to get into the genre, and I'm trying to with my DS, but I don't want it just for a few of my platforms, I want to actually try and get a full experience.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
It'd be awesome if this was on the Xbox or the PC. I'd love to set up a team with my friends and actually play this (we all play games differently, so different roles suit us well).

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
I'm new to online shooters and I've only started playing this recently, but I'm having lots of fun. Figuring out all the different skills and how I want to spec my merc took some time. I was invited to join a Corp. and the matches I've played with them have always been fun win or lose.

My only major problem is the spawns in the Ambush matches. You can and will spawn in the middle of some enemies and be killed before you can take two steps. Doesn't happen all the time, but it really sucks when it does several times in a row.