"You were an accident!" .. so what?

wilsontheterrible

Jul 27, 2011
Another topic in which the denizens of the internet hold a different opinion from quite a large chunk of the public. I've seen whole families turn on a member that's had a child out of wedlock and it's not just religious families and well-off ones either. I don't think the 'accident' part of this is that big a deal but when it occurs outside of a married couple there is a definite stigma towards both the parents and the child.

Is the stigma justified? Against the parents, debatable. Against the child, absolutely not.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
I was an accident, and one that made for some rough times. I don't really care, it does mean that I can see it was my parents lack of responsibility that led to me, and thus they have to pay for their mistake... by giving me presents :p

If you take that entirely literally (only ever so slightly accurate is a good representation) then maybe your humour meter needs oiling...

Kieran Shuttleworth

Apr 23, 2011
Whenever my sister tries to pull this one on me by saying that I was an accident and she was planned I always say, "No. I'm the unexpected miracle. You were a bad idea."

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Me parents never even married so, I dont know. at least I know my father and he accepts me. I remmber someone said that to me once a few years ago. they said "you were an accident, your parents ddidnt even plan on you. MY parents wanteed me, cause they always plan their children."

So of course that stung for about a second, then I just looked up and said thats funny, I remember hearing your mother is the one who's had three abortions and and she was in fact born as a victim of rape and just kinda left it at that. Apparently that was a secret she was never told.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Hiname said:
I was always wondering about this kind of thing. Whenever I see it in a movie, read it in a book, hear it from friends or see it on the internet in forums like this..
Whenever people hear from their parents that they were an accident, mostly in rage during fights or whatever, people behave like this truth would be the end of the world. Mostly followed by lots of tears and general QQ and open rage toward their parents. Same applies for the matter of "What, my parents were not married when i was made? ZOMFG!!"

.. in both these cases I generally ask myself "So what?".. What is so horrofyingly bad about these things? Why do people even care?
Myself, I was neither planned nor were my parents married by that time. Both my mother and m father told me when asked. back then as of today, I don't really cared much about this simple truth, yet some people seem to think of this of some major deal.
My parents loved me, raised me well, gave me opportunity and access to more then decent edjucation, so why should I think ill about them because they preffered to mate like rabbits instead of waiting?

So.. maybe you guys and girls can explain this to me. Is that some kind of american thing? ( Most people I hear this from are from around these parts, no generalization intendet.) is that just me being generally a bit cold toward such matters?

So, please share your thoughts about this with me.
ANY parent that says that to their child is garbage. Its just that simple.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Psycho-Toaster said:
The one I don't get is implying they had sex with your mother.

Well done, you had sex with a 60 year old woman. I hope you're proud of yourself.
This is the one I don't get more than the accident one. I have roughly the same reaction, Its like well done mate, you've seen my mother, she's massive.

On accident terms, I assume you'd feel bad if your parents actually didn't want you for it. I however, was the the only non accident in my family so I'm ok.

AnthonyMS

Dec 6, 2003
Since biologically the purpose of sex is for procreation, anyone who considers their children "accidents" are idiots, IMHO. I went into my first sexual experience knowing that I could get her pregnant. Had I impregnated her, and our child asked: I would NEVER say you're an "accident".

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Yeah, it is ridiculous. Why doesn't anyone in those situations say "If I was such an accident, then why didn't you get an abortion?" There's no such thing as an "accidental" child anymore, at least not in this country. It's not that expensive or difficult to get an abortion. If you have a baby, it's because the mother intended to do so.

Klarinette

May 21, 2009
I don't think it applies as much as it used to, seeing as there are tonnes of kids being born out of wedlock now; it's not taboo anymore. Definitely an old insult.

My response if someone had been mean enough to throw that at me (if it were true): "Oh... thanks for the free ride to college, then :)"

Wushu Panda

Jul 4, 2011
I'm the third child born of six kids in U.S. We used to joke when we were younger yelling at each other "you're an accident". Then my mom would settle things, "shut up! you were ALL accidents". It never hurt or appalled us, it's just how things are. Look at nature, having offspring isn't supposed to be about planning, you screw someone of the opposite gender and new life gets made. It's random. If you get upset when you find out you weren't "planned" then **** off. Look into the reproductive cycle, you can't plan shit.

Sep 14, 2009
Cheshire the Cat said:
intheweeds said:
Seriously? A bunch of grown men who believe 'pulling out' is a method of birth control?

Everyone who didn't immediately think "Really?" needs to go back to grade school sex ed.
... I see someone failed "Sense of Humour 101"
You must be a real blast at parties chap.
agreed. in no way could that video have been more of a joke than it already was, yet there is always that person who ceases to amaze me when it comes to having a sense of humor..

OT:

i was 100% without a doubt an accident, considering i don't even know the name of my real father

do i give two shits about that? nope. i was raised just fine and if someone tries to call me an accident as an insult i usually laugh at how pathetic that was or just dont care.

i can see if there was a HUGE divorce between parents and the kid ended up taking alot of the blows for it, then yeah, that might suck to be the "accident", but otherwise i see no problem with it..

the.gill123

Jun 12, 2011
I definatly wasen't planned and neither were my brother or sister, my mother had her tubes tied after me, since my dad was 27 when I was born and you have to be 30 or over to have the snip, so they couldn't have more kids. My parents defernatly weren't prepared for us, neither did they get along, but I always make jokes that if they had 3 kids, and made sure they couldn't have any more, they must have been getting along alright at some point.

Also I pissed off my manager, when I was still worked for HMRC, after she told us she was pregnant, and it was an accident, by saying 'If you don't want it, there are some stairs over there I'm sure you could 'accidently' fall down.' Thankfully she laughed and understood that it was a stupid joke, I think by then everyone was used to the really stupid things I used to say.

nokori3byo

Feb 24, 2008
Not only was I an accident, I was conceived while my mom was taking birth control pills.

Kinda happy to be here, actually.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
My little guy was a surprise to my wife and I (birth control does not always work, folks!), but he's the cutest surprise ever and I wouldn't trade him for anything.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
I think the idea is "you were never wanted". But hey, why didn't they abort, or put you up for adoption? Anyway, I always respond with "well actually, my mother had to have my fathers sperm injected into her because my father has what is referred to as lazy sperm. My parents paid money to have me, how much did they pay for you?"