You Won't Be Able To Transfer Old Pokemon To Sun And Moon Until January

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
You Won't Be Able To Transfer Old Pokemon To Sun And Moon Until January

Pokemon Sun and Moon won't be compatible with Pokemon Bank until an update in January.

Got some good news and bad news for Pokemon fans: Today Nintendo detailed how players will be able to Pokemon Bank [http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/en-us/pokemon-bank/] app that isn't coming until January, 2017.

Here's the low down on how things will work:

Basically, Pokemon from the 6th generation games (X, Y, Omega Ruby, Alpha Sapphire) can be sent to the Pokemon Bank, and then transferred to Sun and Moon. Sun and Moon Pokemon can also be sent to and from the bank, however, once a Pokemon has been sent to a Sun or Moon game, it can never be sent back to a 6th generation game.

Meanwhile, Pokemon from 5th generation games (Black, White ect) as well as Pokemon from the Virtual Console remakes can be sent on a one-way journey to the Pokemon bank via the Poke Transporter app.

As a quick reminder for those who never used the feature before, Pokemon Bank requires an annual subscription fee of $4.99.

Source: Pokemon [http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/en-us/pokemon-bank/]

DaCosta

Aug 11, 2016
Well that's fucking awful.

How can they release a Pokemon game and give you no conceivable way of completing the Pokedex? I thought that was the whole point of these fucking games.

And I can kiss goodbye to all my Pok?mon the moment they go to Sun and Moon too? I guess there's no way I'll be able to create the themed teams I used to.

I suppose the only good thing out of them taking so long to include this essential feature is that I might be able to duplicate my living Pokedex before then.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
DaCosta said:

How can they release a Pokemon game and give you no conceivable way of completing the Pokedex? I thought that was the whole point of these fucking games.

And I can kiss goodbye to all my Pok?mon the moment they go to Sun and Moon too? I guess there's no way I'll be able to create the themed teams I used to.

I suppose the only good thing out of them taking so long to include this essential feature is that I might be able to duplicate my living Pokedex before then.
Thats not whats happening at all. We just have to wait till January before Sun and Moon are added to Bank functionality. And ofcourse when a Pokemon gets updated for Gen 7 it wont be Gen 6 compatible. Infact, I am pleasantly surprised that we will still be able to transfer from AND TO X/Y/OR/AS still.

Everything else is the same.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Saelune said:
DaCosta said:

Thats not whats happening at all. We just have to wait till January before Sun and Moon are added to Bank functionality. And ofcourse when a Pokemon gets updated for Gen 7 it wont be Gen 6 compatible. Infact, I am pleasantly surprised that we will still be able to transfer from AND TO X/Y/OR/AS still.

not entirely accurate. once a pokemon is transferred into Sun and Moon, it can never be moved back to any previous game.

EDIT: actually, i misread. your post seemed to address that.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
martyrdrebel27 said:
Saelune said:
DaCosta said:

not entirely accurate. once a pokemon is transferred into Sun and Moon, it can never be moved back to any previous game.

Well, you cant trade backwards to 5 or earlier anyways, but I guess if you dont know that it -could- be misread that way.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Saelune said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
Saelune said:
DaCosta said:

Well, you cant trade backwards to 5 or earlier anyways, but I guess if you dont know that it -could- be misread that way.
yeah, i'm actually fairly new to pokemon. i played red and blue back when i was 14ish when they came out, and never touched another one until 6 months ago and fell in HARD. bought ORAS and XY, went to a local game shop and bought used black/white to strip for pokemon, got the bank and all three VC games, and currently rocking the Solgaleo/Lunala XL haha. pokedex is over 600 right now.

like no one ever was.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
martyrdrebel27 said:
Saelune said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
Saelune said:
DaCosta said:

yeah, i'm actually fairly new to pokemon. i played red and blue back when i was 14ish when they came out, and never touched another one until 6 months ago and fell in HARD. bought ORAS and XY, went to a local game shop and bought used black/white to strip for pokemon, got the bank and all three VC games, and currently rocking the Solgaleo/Lunala XL haha. pokedex is over 600 right now.

like no one ever was.
I only fell out of Pokemon during Gen 4 but then I got a 3DS and White and got back into it. Then they announced Pokemon bank and I went back and basically 100%'d everything and spent all of X working on my living Dex. Just need Melloetta next month, and the new Gen 7 Pokemon, and I will have truly "caught them all".

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Saelune said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
Saelune said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
Saelune said:
DaCosta said:

like no one ever was.
I only fell out of Pokemon during Gen 4 but then I got a 3DS and White and got back into it. Then they announced Pokemon bank and I went back and basically 100%'d everything and spent all of X working on my living Dex. Just need Melloetta next month, and the new Gen 7 Pokemon, and I will have truly "caught them all".
have any need for a spare darkrai/genesect/volcanion/any mythic since may? i could use a diancie, shaymin, manaphy or celebi. and holy shit, i just realized, you're the same you that i talked to before about this. was looking for a mew then. Got one btw!

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Huh I knew about this months ago...guess the grapevine at work was correct for once.

Aw well I'll be busy during the release so I won't get to sit down and play properly til my xmas break anyway. I can wait until january. I mean that reminds me I'm not finished with blue right now either. Got to the elite four and then ran out of time to play with WoW/Overwatch and the rest of the game releases this year.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Yeah, that's pretty standard. Personally I won't be transferring much into the 7th gen anyway, at least not until the next few games for the gen come out with all the move tutors and such. Maybe a few type teams, my Maximum Doggo Team (since that can now be completed with Rockruff), some dex filler, that kind of thing, but by and large a majority of it's staying in the 6th gen where I've got access to all the move tutors, mega-evolutions and easy EV training to screw around with.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Obvious News is Obvious, I don't get why some people are upset about "not getting their old team ASAP".

And the problem of "not transferable back", then Breed a fresh one to be transferred. By this point if you care so much for EV/IVs then it's not a high obstacle to re-train a pokemon.

DaCosta

Aug 11, 2016
Kibeth41 said:
DaCosta said:

The shit are you talking about?

You just have to wait a couple of months before transferring them to Sun/Moon. This has been common knowledge for quite a few months now. You're a mature adult (I hope), you can wait that long.

Being a one way trip to a new generation should also be common knowledge. You've never been able to send backwards.

And I've no idea why you'd have to dismantle a themed team because of this?

Aside from the short, 2 month wait. I have absolutely no clue what you could be whining about.
Because I breed the team in one game and send it to the others genius.

"short 2 month wait" lol

Two whole months to wait for what is supposed to be a core part of the game, catching them all, yeah go ahead and defend that, like it shouldn't have been available from launch.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Why did they release the game without this feature in first place? ...besides getting the game on store shelves as quickly as possible.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I think they're purposely delaying the change until January to give all the kids waiting for Christmas a chance to catch up so that they're not behind on the meta.

Shadowsetzer

Jul 15, 2010
Kibeth41 said:
**snip* You've never been able to send backwards. *snip*
Not quite true, as Gold/Silver (and Crystal?) let you send pokemon back to Red/Blue/Yellow as long as they were in those games and didn't have any of the new moves; I know this because I used to move my Pikachu from Yellow into Gold specifically to evolve him into Raichu. I totally agree with the rest of your post, though.