Your 5 most disappointing games, 2008-2012

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
These past few years have left me disappointed and disillusioned with some of my favourite series, and I've sought out greener pastures as a result. Sadly, I had to play through and delude myself that I was enjoying them to realise just how boring they'd become.

Metal Gear Solid 4 - An over-reliance on massive cutscenes and tacked-on gameplay made this feel like an interactive and contrived film rather than a game. It's like Hideo Kojima forgot he was supposed to be making a game and slapped together a few levels in a hurry - Act 3 was terrible, and the final act wasn't much better. Look at its predecessor, MGS3 had challenging stealth, snake eating, and atmosphere.

Final Fantasy XIII - A boring, repetitive battle system, restricting linearity, excessive angst, and AWKWARD levelling up brought out all the negative traits of FF harder than a product of Habsburg inbreeding.

Grand Theft Auto 4 - For all it claimed to be an open-world, vibrant game, it felt like it was missing the variety of safehouses and interesting locales that previous games had. It relied too much on the internet and relationships gimmick and lost track of its roots. No, I don't want to take Roman Bellic to get drunk, I want to do more exciting things. I also disliked the brown hue to the game, more of that real is brown BS.

Resident Evil 5 - This left a bitter taste in my mouth with its mostly forgettable characters and dull gameplay. Also, the co-op was an unnecessary addition.

Duke Nukem Forever - I was quite looking forward to this, but it turned out to be a horrible abortion of a project, Call of Duty MW2 with Duke Nukem skins. Thankfully I didn't even touch the damn thing.

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
Duke Nukem Forever : Piece of crap.

Modern warefare 2: I excpected it will be as good as COD4, It wasn't.

Brink: It was medicore, though it could've been much much better.

I don't have anymore.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Fallout 3 - good atmosphere, great open world, but terrible shooting, laughably bad animation and NPCs straight out of the uncanny valley.

Dragon Age: Origins - kill dull brown things in a dull brown castle. Repeat.

World of Warcraft - it was great once, but Blizzard's constant chasing after the widest possible audience has left it a dumbed down shadow of its former self.

Star Wars: The Old Republic - a respected dev studio, perhaps the biggest IP in sci-fi, six years work and 200 million dollars, and this dull single player WoW-clone is all they have to show for it...

The Secret World - I almost feel bad about including TSW. The concept is good and the atmosphere is great, but I found the gameplay itself to be absolutely horrible.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
From the worst to the... least worst.

1) Dragon Age- I have said this game problem so many times on this forum that I dont even feel like saying whats wrong with this. Its a piece of shit IMO, its not even shitty enough so that I can at least laugh at its horribleness like Big Rigs/Action 52/Superman 64, its just bland and boring. end.

2) Kindom of Amalur- reckoning- No. Just no. Went it expecting it to be like fable, since so much people compare those two games, And turns out its a rather weak game, boring. Fable is at least 3 times better than this.

3) Just Cause 2- Overly Complex controls killed this game hard. Too bad, this game actually seemed somewhat decent actually. oh well.

4) Minecraft- After doing all the "Adventure" part (As in, finding diamonds and going to the nether and blahblah), theres nothing else to do in this game, except build crap. I am not interested in building stuff because yes, I want some motivation, I need goals to complete, its just not a game for me if this does not happen. I can understand the appeal, but not for me at all.

5) I honestly dont have an idea... I DO feel like I am missing a game but I dont rememeber right now...

Tragedy's Rebellion

Feb 21, 2010
In no particular order:

Dragon Age 2 - Yeaaaaah, not going to explain why.

Skyrim - I didn't have high expectations for it, but it turned out it was quite a bit more boring than I'd imagined it would be.

Stronghold 3 - Well I don't know where to even begin, because pretty much the whole game was unplayable or changed for the worse. Not to mention the bugs at launch, but they are KINDA fixed now. Still horrible, though.

WoW: Cataclysm - Yeah, no, not touching this with a ten foot pole.

Heroes of Might and Magic V and VI - Not disappointing per se, but somehow they lost the charm of the previous ones.

Honorable mentions to The Old Republic, all Silent Hills after 4 and the Fable games after 1.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2
Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi
The Amazing Spider-Man
Prototype 2
The Old Republic

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Skyrim- It was just okay. Not as fun as people made it out to be.

Brink- Oh fuck this game. Was looking forward to it, and when I finally got my hands on it it was a bag of spank.

Saints Row The 3rd- This was such a pathetic step down from the last game. They took out a lot of the good parts just to make it goofier.

Dead Island- FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. That is all.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Skyrim
Prototype 2
Ghost Recon: Future Soldier

I probably have another two games somewhere in my mind but I cannot recall them at this time.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
MammothBlade said:
Duke Nukem Forever - I was quite looking forward to this, but it turned out to be a horrible abortion of a project, Call of Duty MW2 with Duke Nukem skins. Thankfully I didn't even touch the damn thing.
Wait... so you're calling the game MW2 with DN skins, and saying it was horrible, yet you never played it? Then how could you know any of that?

F.E.A.R. 3 (short, mission based rather than a story, not scary at all, set the bar for "generic")
Dragon Age: Origins (most bland and boring game I ever played)

And since I can't really think of any other games I played that were really that bad, I can only add this:

Mass Effect - 1 hour (ended up being just as bland and boring as DA:O, so I stopped playing there)

MammothBlade

Oct 12, 2011
Assassin Xaero said:
MammothBlade said:
Wait... so you're calling the game MW2 with DN skins, and saying it was horrible, yet you never played it? Then how could you know any of that?
You don't have to play a game to get a general idea of what it's like. That's what gameplay videos and reviews are for.

Yokillernick

May 11, 2012
MammothBlade said:
Final Fantasy XIII - A boring, repetitive battle system, restricting linearity, excessive angst, and AWKWARD levelling up brought out all the negative traits of FF harder than a product of Habsburg inbreeding.
Sounds like your problem was not trying Final Fantasy XIII-2. This game is the most wonderful piece of ar-- sorry can't say it with a straight face. That game was just as shit as FF can get.

My others include:

Dragon Age 2: I was expecting something along the lines of a epic quest, like Origins not a game with three mediocre stories. The ending was alright though
killing your own sister is something a Sith Lord would do.

Skyrim: I thought Oblivion was the best RPG that ever existed. I hoped Skyrim to expand open that but I don't know what happened along the way while playing Skyrim that I just didn't feel that interested. I'm often looking for excuses to not start it up. Don't get me wrong if I start it up and start play I do get into it but it just didn't have the same spark like Oblivion.

Black Ops: Go die in a fucking whole you miserable game. This game along with MW3 taught me to never purchase another Call of Duty until Call of Duty 28.

Mortal Kombat: The Wii versions of Mortal Kombat are better. At least there you can make your own character and control the fatalities with the Wii wagling which doesn't work 100% but is much more fun. I felt that restricting each character to like 10 main attacks, 5 combos and 3 fatalities was just not enough. Look at Soulcalibur they have more combat moves per character as well as dozens of extra features.

johnnnny guitar

Jul 16, 2010
Oh goodie a thread that lets me complain about Bioware hehehe

1. Dragon Age 2 - What a fucking step backwards into a spiked pit
2. Mass effect 3 - A step backwards in every aspect compared to the first 2
3. Saints Row the 3rd- once again a game that took steps backwards in every aspect compared to its predecessors and has a massive amount of DLC.
4. Duke Nukem Forever- A cookie cutter horrible FPS that ignores everything great about Duke 3D
5. Dead Island- Amazing CGI trailer that set a new bar for trailers then the game is nothing more than a boring Buggy mess

L0dest0ne

Sep 24, 2012
No Diablo 3? Most disappointing game I have ever played. Fun combat, though.
Also Skyrim. Generic plot, boring copypasted dungeons, and a dumbed down skill system made for a boring experience.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
MammothBlade said:
Metal Gear Solid 4 - An over-reliance on massive cutscenes and tacked-on gameplay made this feel like an interactive and contrived film rather than a game. It's like Hideo Kojima forgot he was supposed to be making a game and slapped together a few levels in a hurry - Act 3 was terrible, and the final act wasn't much better. Look at its predecessor, MGS3 had challenging stealth, snake eating, and atmosphere.
Have you played other MGS games? I know your points are factually correct, but complaining about Metal Gear having too much cutscenes is like complaining about Borderlands having too many weapons.
My choices:
- Brink: Promised so much promised, delivered so little. The classes were broken and the game was unplayable in single player (the only way to go, since the servers were empty in record time)
- Force Unleashed: buggy and boring. They managed to include a sequence where you single-handedly destroy a star destroyer, and make it boring as nails.
- God of War 3: Simply put, its too much like the previous games in a hardware several times better. That, and the writing was god awful.
- Final Fantasy XII and XIII: I don't think these ones require too much explanation.
- GTA 4: I was impressed but the glowing reviews of this game. For 2 straight weeks, people sounded like it was the best game ever make. Then I tried it and got bored in a couple hours.

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
Brink - It's all already been said.

Skyrim - It was a good game in and of itself, but I inevitably compared it to Morrowind and Oblivion. It could have been better.

Mists of Pandaria - Was a Panda seriously the number one voted creature for a playable race?

Battlefield 3 - If only it was as good as Bad Company 2.

MammothBlade

Oct 12, 2011
hermes200 said:
MammothBlade said:
Have you played other MGS games? I know your points are factually correct, but complaining about Metal Gear having too much cutscenes is like complaining about Borderlands having too many weapons.
I played Metal Gear Solid 3 before that. I don't know how they compare in gameplay length, but 3 at least had a great pace of gameplay compared to cutscenes, 4 had one mission which involved following a retarded NPC. That was extremely frustrating, sure the cutscene at the end of that chapter was brilliant, but you shouldn't have to wade through a tedious game to get to a half-decent scene.

TeletubbiesGolfGun

Sep 7, 2012
FF13- was such boring garbage to slug through, nearly nothing about the game made up for it, i've never had to try so hard to get through a game before, they really fucked up the final fantasy series with that game (and the 2nd one to boot too)

ME3- yep, don't care people, it had PLENTY of flaws, ones that SHOULD have been strengths but they cut corners, typical EAware as of these days, least of not the ending that is the biggest piece of shit this side of the galaxy.

Diablo 3- hm...where to start...oh wait, i can't, servers are down and the game is shit.

The force unleashed 2- I actually liked the first one, but the 2nd one takes what the first one had for momentum and tosses that shit down the drain and kills any hope the series had.

surprisingly can't think of another game of the top of my head..