Your all-time favorite DLC

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Gosh, how time has gone. I can't even remember most of the DLC packs for Fallout 3 were, but I remember loving Point Lookout's atmosphere. All the other DLC has been mentioned. Although I will admit I bought the Batman Beyond skin for AC. Mostly because it actually did something, they added the wings, it was kickass. If only they modded the grapple accelerator into his rocket boots. I don't know why but that suit is one of the best designed looks ever. I fuckin' LOVE that suit...and I bought it in the pack for Injustice too.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
I don't buy a lot of DLC, but I'll voice my support of Burial at Sea. Definitely the meatiest story non-RPG DLC I've ever got (1 and 2 together are about 8 hours). Gives you a little something extra without feeling like it was cut from the original Bioshock Infinite.

I've been playing Metal Gear Rising recently, and I may be biased because I got it for free (Steam version comes with it) but I like Blade Wolf's DLC. It's insubstantial and reuses almost all of it's assets from the main game, but I hold great value in controlling a mechanical wolf that stabs people with a tail-chainsaw. Perhaps not worth the $10 or so it cost at launch (it's only just about 90 minutes long depending on skill and completion level), but I had fun with it and is the better DLC campaign out of the game's two. Wolfy's gameplay also caters more to stealth and "hunting" (stealth being among the many things the game just couldn't grasp well), and that was a lot of fun actually getting bloody S-ranks for once lol.

The Last of Us' Left Behind wasn't bad either. I really liked Ellie, so playing as her again felt good. I liked the past sections too where I could just goof around instead of always fearing a clicker or a random asshole with a gun. Also, Jak X arcade machine. Cool.

Other than that, I don't really buy DLC. Even if it's cheap, I don't value maps, multiplayer modes, avatars, or skins particularly worthy of my loonie(s). I only typically get story DLC or packs with A LOT of content. Always been tempted to get a few DLC animals for Tokyo Jungle though, as I've quite thoroughly beaten it and want a reason to return. Each animal is only $1 (or get all 12 in bundles for #7.50, which isn't bad. Game at launch was only $15).

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
So far, the recent MarioKart 8 DLC is easily the best, most rewarding, most non-insulting use of DLC I've ever encountered.
Second place to Civ 5.
Other versions all felt like they should either have been in the game from the start, or were subpar additions, or just phoned-in.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
I haven't bought that many so this is from a very small pool (I have nothing against the concept of DLC, it just tends not to have enough bang for buck to me) but I have to say Lair of the shadowbroker was actually a damn good DLC even for me when I'm not a huge fan of Liara. The Kasumi one was fun too. The ability Statis is OP though.

Alternatively the Artorias one from darksouls but that came with the game for me so I don't know if that counts.

Notshauna

May 12, 2014
Yeah I'm going to be unoriginal and go with Mass Effect 3 Citadel.
I've played some great DLC but the question isn't the BEST DLC which it clearly isn't but my favorite, and that DLC is the only one that I feel is truly something that could only be DLC, a love letter to the fans of the Mass Effect series.

Broderick

May 25, 2010
Artorias of the Abyss from Dark Souls. Pretty much a quintessential example of what a Dlc should be. Adds new items, locations,characters, fleshes out the lore, and more bosses to fight. It also has one of the most tense dragon fights in a game I have ever played, Kalameet.

Old World Blues from Fallout:New Vegas was just a joy to play. It adds even more humor to the generally funny wasteland, and, like AotA, fleshes out the general lore of the game while adding more content. I had some problems with how much of a bullet sponge the enemies were at higher levels, but it was a generally enjoyable experience.

Xcom:Enemy Within added just enough to make the whole experience of the game 10 times better than the vanilla version. Adds new classes, more to the story, and a bunch of tweaks to the game that makes the game just that much better.

Outlast: Whistleblower has to be one of the best horror experiences I have had in a while. While the base game was fun, I just didnt find it that scary to be honest, mostly just frustrating at times. The DLC however changes that completely for me. It had the same general game-play, but the "villains" in it really made the dlc. Eddie Gluskin really stole the show for one of the most disturbing and interesting encounters. In a general sense though
Seeing exactly what they were doing to people in the Asylum really got to me, especially near the beginning where a man pleads with you to help him, screaming "They are raping me!"
I think it also had better scares as well. So for me, I would say that Whistleblower is better than the base game.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
Artorias of the Abyss dlc is pretty damn well up there. So good.
Uh, can't remember- OH, well damn. I would say Dark Arisen, but that was like only on disc...

Ballad of Gay Tony was super fun too.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Shadowrun: Dragonfall started out as a DLC but was so good it then was remade as it's own standalone game too, free for people who had bought it as DLC. That's pretty awesome, as was the game itself. Probably my favourite rpg experience of last year in fact.

Otherwise yeah, as grumpy as I might still be about the whole shitty ending thing there's really no denying that Mass Effect has had some amazing DLC. Lair of the Shadow Broker and Citadel both stand out as amazing while the rest were also pretty good, even that free one for the first game, good stuff!

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Probably a tie between Batman Arkham City: Harley's Revenge and Borderlands 2: Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep.

Harley's Revenge was just a good follow up story to the existing plot. It tied up a loose end or two and was, all in all a good add on.

Tiny Tina is much the same. It's the only BL2 x-pack that really addresses earlier plot points and adds some closure to characters that otherwise didn't get any.
Also it was nice to see them go in a direction that wasn't just "He's another unexplored area, shooty shooty ok here's some marginally better loot."

Buckets

May 1, 2014
Borderlands 2 - Assault on Dragons Keep for its homage to roleplay and brilliant humour. Had a quite poignant ending too.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
What I like from DLC is when it offers something new. When it just adds more of the same, it's fine, but it tends not to make my appreciation for the game go up. But there are a few notables.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West brought us Pigsy's Perfect 10, which took a side character and flushed them out. It brought the character right up to the point where he met the characters from the main game, explained why he was an ass when you first meet him, uses different mechanics that don't get out of place, and gives a lot of insight to a character that only had time for so much depth during the main game.

Mass Effect 3: Citadel--if you like Mass Effect as a series and haven't played this, then you are literally missing out. You want emotional catharsis? It's here. You want the best villain in the series next to Saren? It's here. You want shenanigans, quips, quotes, and most of your surviving crew to show up and pal around with? It's here.

Fallout New Vegas: Old World Blues and Dead Money--these two especially weren't just more of FNV, although that is hardly a problem. These were each themed and poignant in a way that neither Lonesome Road nor Honest Hearts could match. OWB sent you on a quest that made you use all of your skills, and for the first time, it really felt like you could get a ton of use out of putting points into your INT beyond getting more skill points to spend. Dead Money, while dragging it's ass far too damn long for the first section and being full of "do it again, stupid" style traps and an asinine number of instances of being captured in a cutscene, the "let go" theme still resonates with me frequently. Also, there's a way to get a small mountain of gold bars AND to kill Father Elijah, so that makes up for some of the earlier awfulness.

Left Behind--I actually fucking hate The Last of Us. It's a great movie sandwiched between a godsawful, repetitive, horrible game. But Left Behind was amazing, the epitome of what the character moments in TLOU wanted to portray so hard, and it works. It's a beautiful little run with a lot of levity and seriousness in appropriate measure, and it left me dwelling on all the things Ellie has had to deal with. REALLY could have done without more waves of mooks to murder though. I can forgive that in something like Bioshock Infinite, where there's a huge variety of fun ways to plow through waves of mooks, but in a game like TLOU where it's a tiresome chore to actually play, it's just a nail in the coffin. Great DLC, horrible game.

Saint's Row IV: How the Saints Saved Christmas--This...was just fun. Having the boss of the Saints run around in a horrible Christmas sweater was probably my favorite thing to witness this past holiday season. Gold star. Yeah, it's just another excuse to run around in SRIV and I said I usually demand more than that, but...It's the Boss in an ugly Christmas Sweater! That really needs more love.

G00N3R7883

Feb 16, 2011
Probably Skyrim's Dawnguard and Dragonborn, because they added a significant amount of content, more along the lines of the expansion packs we used to get.

Honourable mentions for Borderlands 2 and Mass Effect 2.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Wow, I'm really struggling with this one.

Can I go with FTL: Advanced Edition? I'm not sure it counts. It's an expansion, it's free and is essentially just automatically provided to everyone who'd previously bought a copy / is automatically included in future-bought copies. I think.

But it's soooooo goooooood. FTL is one of my favourite games anyway, but the extra ships all work in that some are strong and some are weak, plus they continue to have themes and personalities derived from differing playstyles; the Lanius are an excellent addition, the new weapons fit in and the new systems do too. New content was added without making the old content obsolete.

All-in-all: new ships, new race, new weapons, new systems, new events, new music, revamped mechanics for unlocking ships, hard mode. Free.

Marry me, Subset Games. I want to have your babies.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
I think I get pretty lucky with DLC. I don't get it often but most of the ones I play tend to be good. Be it Dark Souls, Enslaved, Valkyria Chronicles, even DNF's clone doctor pack was alright ...

But there is one that stands out.

And it is:

Tiny Tina of course!

Borderlands doesnt get any better than that.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
I think Borderlands 1 and 2 have some of the strongest DLC that don't feel like complete rip offs. Oh and Mario Kart 8 has some really cool DLC and while I haven't personally played it I hear Minerva's Den on Bioshock is amazing

for the sake of the thread I'll say General Knoxx

EDIT: dos Blood Dragon count as DLC?

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
I really enjoyed Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC for ME 2. The procedural section in the beginning, introducing another specter, fighting alongside Liara, taking on the Shadow Broker and the actual Lair of the Shadow Broker were incredibly awesome. I also enjoyed ep 1 of Burial at Sea, due it's great atmosphere and interesting set up. It's a shame ep 2 of Burial at Sea is such a colossal fuck up, that it not only ruin episode 1, but retroactively cheapens destroy anything in Bioshock that prior to it.

EDIT: Also want to shout Artorias of the Abyss. Dark Souls both through a lore stand point and just overall gameplay experience would've felt incomplete to me without that fantastic portion of the game. Literally some of the best content in a Souls game.

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
Yeah, if for no other reason i gotta start with torgue's campaign of carnage. torgue is hands down my favorite borderlands character. i even cosplayed as him for community day a few years back. but really almost all the borderlands dlc was great. assault on dragon's keep was amazingly good.

I really enjoyed the teeth of neeros dlc for kingdoms of amalure but i'm a crazy nutbird for loving that game to begin with, i just really enjoyed the island of collosi it added an interesting slant to the game facing a race of all stone people much larger than you who were amused by you being so small.

I would say i enjoyed the dlc on darksiders 2 except it bricked my game so that wasn't very fun.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
I loved Return to Ostagar for Dragon Age: Origins, yeah ok most of it was recycled but they put enough effort in for it to be fun, I got to explore some of the area I didn't see before and it tied in nicely and expanded the original story so yeah, I was one happy player.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Fallout: New Vegas... I guess? It's the only game where I feel like I actually got my money's worth out of the DLC. Every other game I've bought DLC for, the DLC has felt WAY overpriced for such little content. I think most of the hatred and suspicion is actually fairly justified.

Maybe I was just spoiled by the days of $30 expansion packs that were practically full games in their own right, like StarCraft: Brood War and C&C Tiberian Sun: Firestorm.