Your animated avater is distracting

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Before I say anything else, let us get it out of the way: yes I know that pressing esc disables them.

Does anyone else find that people's avatars are a huge distraction when they move? Honestly, I find myself reading someone's post and halfway through, realize that you forgot what the hell they were even talking about because they feel they needed to add a super-sayan transformation on a continuous loop.

Am i just being Grandpa Simpson here? Does anyone agree?

And those of you who have them, do you feel it adds anything to the personality you want to present? I really feel it sometimes detracts.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
I only get distracted by the excessively flashy ones or the ones that are SUUUUUUPER creepy, like that one with the sheep infinitely splitting in half. *shudders*

<-- Mine I don't think is very distracting, and all it does for personality is paint me as a huge fan of Samurai Champloo, which I am. Legion [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Legion] put time and effort into making it for me for free, so it would be rude of me not to use it now even if I didn't love it anymore (which I do).

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I don't find them distracting at all. While there are those who waste the potential of an animated avatar, I feel that there are plenty who completely embrace it for good (Caramel Frappe [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Caramel+Frappe] comes to mind).

As to the second question, I can't really answer the question...or can I?

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Kolby Jack said:
I only get distracted by the excessively flashy ones or the ones that are SUUUUUUPER creepy, like that one with the sheep infinitely splitting in half. *shudders*

<-- Mine I don't think is very distracting, and all it does for personality is paint me as a huge fan of Samurai Champloo, which I am. Legion [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Legion] put time and effort into making it for me for free, so it would be rude of me not to use it now even if I didn't love it anymore (which I do).
Okay, fair enough.

Now what would you consider excessively flashy? Yours is nice but I would certainly put it at the upper end of flashiness. Battling Seizure Robots would admittedly be worse.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
I only find them distracting when they happen to be sexy ladies or something of the sort.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
jademunky said:
Kolby Jack said:

Okay, fair enough.

Now what would you consider excessively flashy. Yours is nice but I would certainly put it at the upper end of flashiness. Battling Seizure Robots would admittedly be worse.
Hmmm, I guess mine is a bit flashy, but I've had flashier. Like this!

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Well, I mean, I know Kyary is adorable and everything, but this is hardly the most distracting she's ever been... though I do have to admit that I occasionally just watch her wave. I can't help it sometimes!

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
LobsterFeng said:
I only find them distracting when they happen to be sexy ladies or something of the sort.
Like the guy with the gif about the sexy Dragon's Crown sorceress. You know the one.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
Usually tends to distract me if its one I haven't seen, I like to see from the start to end of the loop. Is a certain Full Metal Jacket one I don't think I'll ever adjust to though..

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
I love animated avatars, I even learnt how to make them myself (thanks to [user]Caramel Frappe[/user]). I make them for others from time to time now at the Avatar Store user group. Your avatar is essentially your face on the forums, animating it allows for a far wider range of options.

I guess I could see them getting annoying, but only if it was something stupid like lots of flashing lights. Can't say I've seen one around here like that though.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I love 'em. No easier way for me to remember a user. I could easily name thirty users of animated avatar users and only about ten without animated. Animated adds a little flare to the profile, helps me determine who they are. I've never seen one that was too flashy, a couple have been close. But in the end, they don't bother me.

Narcissism time! Who all knows me by my finger licking, yandere girl?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
jademunky said:
hey listen! hey listen! hey listen! hey listen! hey listen! hey listen! hey listen! hey listen!

animated avatars don't bother me....also the amount of effort I put into mine I'm not chaging it...its ART man..

tippy2k2 said:
I don't find them distracting at all. While there are those who waste the potential of an animated avatar, I feel that there are plenty who completely embrace it for good (Caramel Frappe [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Caramel+Frappe] comes to mind).
-_-....I am dissapointed...

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Flutterguy said:
Usually tends to distract me if its one I haven't seen, I like to see from the start to end of the loop. Is a certain Full Metal Jacket one I don't think I'll ever adjust to though..
Ahaha... ahahahaa... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... MUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!

Don't worry, I'm going to change it soon. It's out of date.

OT: I've had someone make a thread specifically to ask how to block my avatars. I'm used to this.

Of course, if I ever tone it down, I get people sending me sadfaces, so therefore, I have to keep them flashy.

Besides, how would anyone else remember me?

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
I don't think mine is so bad. It's a cute puppy licking the screen! Maybe a little distracting....

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
I think it's fun to mess around with simple loops.

Perhaps I'll add some alternating stage lights.

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
LobsterFeng said:
Like the guy with the gif about the sexy Dragon's Crown sorceress. You know the one.

I have been summoned!

What's distracting about my avatar?

BTW, this is the one I use on IGN

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Depends on the avatar I say, I like ones which loop nicely like Topaz's or Vault's. There's a few around which are a tad fast and flashing, but it's no big deal. I've had gifs sporadically in the past myself, though I prefer the high quality of a perfected still personally.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
FizzyIzze said:
[/QUOTE]

[i/]the overseer the overseer the overseer the overseer the overseer the overseer the overseer the overseer the overseer the overseer the overseer the overseer the overseer the overseer the overseer the overseer the overseer the overseer[/i]

..wha.....huh?...what was I saying? [QUOTE=Maxtro]

[img]http://oyster.ignimgs.com/social/avatars/users2/30/110223-1364361403.gif
man thats almost painful for me to watch...

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I'd actually like to have a longer one that I have, maybe the whole transformation - or maybe her attack, but I know bugger all about GIFs and that, so I just take what I can get.

I don't really find them that distracting, I find them fun, most of the time.

Vault101 said:
Maxtro said:

man thats almost painful for me to watch...
Jesus Christ. That just looks.... really fucking weird.