Your Dad Might Not Be Your Dad. Response?

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I'd be disappointed in my mother more than anything else. Blood or not, I would still consider the man who raised me to be my dad. I wouldn't care about some dude I never met because I have some of his genes, unless he has some genetic disease I may care then.

However I know I'm my dad's kid, I look too much like him and my parents were embarrassingly lovey-dovey.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
I am married with three wonderful step kids. Am very close to their father, and he was there at my stag do.

Unconventional by standards of the past, but we're a solid family. Wouldn't change anything. It's nice for the kids to have a range of people that they can rely on

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Been raised by a Stepmother who was in all ways but blood my "real" mother, now raising a step-daughter who I feel is more my daughter than I could have hoped for. So I really don't feel blood matters in the end, its the folk who give it their all to help you grow into this world and prepare for it that really are parents. If I found out that my Dad wasn't biologically that, I still wouldn't care because I know it doesn't matter. He raised me and did a damn fine job of it. 33 Years later, to the day I can say my Dad is the best I could have hoped for.

Apr 28, 2008
Both of my grandfather's aren't related to me by blood, and I still love both of them to death, so I wouldn't mind much. My dad is awesome and has always been awesome. I love him and always will.

Bestival

May 5, 2012
I honestly wouldn't care. For all I know I could be adopted. If they told me now, it wouldn't change anything, they love me, I love them, and they're like the best people in the world.

The only thing that would slightly bother me if only my dad or mom wasn't my actual parent would be that at some point their relationship was so strained one of them was unfaithful.
Or my mom was raped... Which would be the worst possible scenario, and I'd literally set out to kill my bio-dad.

This got pretty dark, and I don't like this thread anymore!

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
If I found out that my Dad wasn't my biological dad, it wouldn't matter to me. I may be curious about who the sperm-donor was, but I don't think I'd stress myself out about trying to track him down. I've lived this long without him, why would I need him now? Unless he's the only one who could give me an organ or something. Hah.

My husbands father ran out on him when he was only a few weeks old, and from the time he was a toddler he was raised by his step-dad. He considers his step-dad his 'real dad', whom he loves, and that's the way it will always be. It's the person who loves and raises you that matters.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
I know who my father is.

When I was six, he dived into the sea to rescue me, ruining his favourite shoes in the process. When I was twelve, he built a train set with me, spending hours on his knees getting the bloody thing to work. When I was sixteen, he helped me plan my future, and then he helped me re-plan it at twenty when I changed my mind.

The only time genetics count is when it's your doctor who's asking. That aside, who my mother had sex with nine months before I was born is her own damn business!

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
This sounds like the setup for a shitty kids TV show.
I remember seeing an episode of The Suite Life of Zack and Cody forever and a day ago, wherein they saw an old family tape where the mother wasn't sure which one was which, seeing as they were identical twins and, at the time, babies. So naturally they were freaking out over which one was Zack and which one was Cody, so just in case they swapped names, and, for some stupid insipid dumbfuck reason, identities. This was of course idiotic because it's not like their personalities or characteristics were attached to their names. What's in a name? A rose by any other name... etc.

The point being that who your biological father is matters about as much as what your name is. What's important is who played the father figure in your life, not who's nutstack you busted out of of.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I have a lot of physical similarities to the man I'm pretty sure is my father, and who I've always been told is.
My mother isn't one much for secrets. Neither she nor I have a good relationship to my father, and I have on occasion asked rather hopefully about the possibility. She has no possible reason to hide it, and as such I'm pretty damn sure.

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
I'd be hurt if I was lied to, but if the situation you describe were the case, curious or not I'd be happy with the knowledge I had a good parenting regardless of the real father.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
The Hero Killer said:
I was raised by a single mother so the info wouldn't matter to me one way or another.
This.

I know his name and how to get in touch with him but I have no interest so it wouldn't make a difference if I found out it was someone else because I wouldn't know either of them.

Jayemsal

Dec 28, 2012
I look identical to my father, it is extremely unlikely that I am not his child. Even though my mother did cheat on him.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
SaetonChapelle said:
So just curious fellow Escapists, if you were aware, or are even in a close situation, would you be curious about who your father actually was? Or are you/would you be happy in the situation you were given?
I met my father once in 1996 and that's it.
If he wasn't my biological father... I wouldn't care.

Mark Rhodes

Nov 15, 2011
When I was 14, I had to do a school thing that required a copy of my birth certificate. That birth certificate had no father marked, so I inquired as to why. My parents informed me that my "father", who I already called by his first name due to him being away for half of my life working on an oil rig, was actually my step father. He did have 2 children with my mother, and always liked them more. When I was younger this made me hate him, but once I knew that he wasn't my father we actually grew closer as I learned as to why he didn't care for me as much. He never became a father, but he did become a friend. I hope to find my real dad, just to see what he looks like and if he has any hereditary diseases I should know of.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
Well, I look pretty much exactly like my father when he was my age and my mother is the one who drilled the importance of staying loyal in relationships into my head, so there's no question of whether or not my parents are my parents biologically speaking.

That said, even if I didn't know for sure, the man I consider my father would be the one who raised me, not the one who gave me half my genes.

Mar 30, 2010
True family is built from mutual love and respect; blood ties matter little if at all. Your father is right OP - as long as he was loved and cared for by both, it doesn't matter which one has the biological link.

If my dad turned out not to be my biological father it wouldn't matter to me a jot, he's still the guy who's been there my entire life. Although that's academic given our marked physical similarities - but hey, the point still stands.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Colour-Scientist said:
The Hero Killer said:
I was raised by a single mother so the info wouldn't matter to me one way or another.
This.

I know his name and how to get in touch with him but I have no interest so it wouldn't make a difference if I found out it was someone else because I wouldn't know either of them.
Even if you don't like the guy, it might be wise to ask some basic family health history question so type-1 diabetes doesn't sneak up on you or something.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Souplex said:
Colour-Scientist said:
The Hero Killer said:
This.

Even if you don't like the guy, it might be wise to ask some basic family health history question so type-1 diabetes doesn't sneak up on you or something.
Oh, I have nothing against him at all, I just don't have any interest in meeting him. He was with my Mom for a while before I was born so I think she knows of anything that could be a serious issue. Hopefully, anyway!