Your Dark Souls 2 Builds

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
Okay PC has been out for a while now, feel free to jump in as well console players

What is your Dark Souls 2 builds?

What weapons do you reinforce, armour you use, how do you build up your stats, and at the end what should your build look like?

I only write these prodding questions because 3 characters in, I still can't get past the iron keep.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
I've gotten the furthest with a dex build, with some pyro for fun. At this point I have 50 dexterity, 15 strength, 20 vigour, 20 vitality, and some points in attunement and adaptability. I rocked a scimitar all the way to Iron Keep, where I traded it in for a Blacksteel Katana. It could also have been an Uchigatana bought from McDuff, tho, as you get the Dull Ember at the same place. For armour I sport the Alva chest piece and leggings, jester gloves and Desert Sorceress Hood.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Well I'm still on my first playthrough, so I only have one build. He's a swordsman, with points high in vitality, adaptability and dexterity, with good points in vigor and strength. Got a little in endurance and nothing in either intelligence, faith or attunement. Primary weapon is a falchion +10 and my secondary is a black knight's halberd +3. My missile weapon is a Dragonrider's Bow +2 or +3 (can't remember which). Shield is the Drangleic's Shield, no enhancements. Armour consists of Drangleic Mail +2, Dranglaic gauntlets and Dranglaic boots, both unenhanced. Helmet, which I only wear while hollowed, is Vengarl's Helm, unenhanced. I tend to switch between shield and 2-handed depending on what foe I'm fighting. I've found that relying on a 100 damage protection shield is a rather bad habit to develop, since it makes you somewhat lazy in combat. As such, I go 2-handed more often now to keep me more in shape and to master dodging and strafing tactics. Successfully dodging has proven more reliable than blocking anyway.

Dec 14, 2009
Going for a Duel Blue Flame build.

Haven't got that far in the game yet, but that's what I'm building towards. 2 swords I can powerstance, that can both cast spells while equipped and buff eachother with CMW? Yus pls.

Very adaptable style, since I don't have to switch to a catalyst, I it means my opponent is always on his toes. I'm I gonna cast a spell or swing my sword?

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Currently rocking 20st,20dex,40int,40faith build and rocking the rulers sword as i always have 3million or so souls anyway. Dark enchanced, with resonant weapon. Thing hits like a truck. Chime of Want and Bell Keepers Bow for good measure.

Mostly two hand it, but have a +10 silverback shield for against those pesky casters. Dark enhanced again, has amazing elemental blocking capabilities.

Armor i rock the Chaos Hood or Penal Mask depending on what i feel like, Alonne Captain chest, Critty Gloves of awesomeness and Havel's ugly pants of blech lol

rings, Clearstone, Blades, Third Dragon, and situational change slot.

captcha: Dinosaur Spaceship... wtf?

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
I really enjoyed going a faith build but the current one im going for is a Smelter demon cosplay. I plan to use the full smelter demon armour set and sword then have a pyromancy flame in my other hand.

Currently im thinking that I will put most points into faith and intelligence so that I scale mostly off of fire damage, I probably won't even put enough into strength to be able to one hand the sword.

So it's more of a pyromancer build but with the Smelter demon sword and armour, if I get bored of it then i'll probably just swap my weapon to one of the black knight weapons and go with that.

Im still trying to figure out if I need equal points in faith and int to scale best with fire or not, im thinking I'll put most of them into faith and then some in int.

Directionless

Nov 4, 2013
Finished the game with a strength build (With tonnes of vitality). Bastard Sword fully upgraded took me far, brilliant weapon. My shield was the Dragonrider shield, and i had the Looking glass knight armour. That armour looks boss aswell.

Started a new game which is intended to be a dex faith build.

Shim3d

Nov 20, 2011
About 40 hours in on my first character I think I might be severely overlevelled. I'm level 150 and just beat the Iron Keep myself.

I did Bell Tower PVP for about 2 hours and somehow ended up with 600k souls at the end of it. Don't ask me how cause I really don't know.

I'm rolling a dual-mace +10 Str build and I switch out to Tower Shield when the situation requires.
I use Heide Knight Iron Mask (for aesthetics) and Dranleic Armour.
35 VGR
30 END
26 VIT
5 ATN
40 Str
25 Dex
31 ADP
5 INT
5 FTH

Maces are really good. I 1-hit those knight and turtle dudes in the Iron Keep.
Also in PVP everybody underestimates me when they see me using maces. My favourite is when people choose to hold a shield up rather than dodge, I can guard break them in one hit and do that special animation that does huge damage ;D

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Currently running three characters, because I couldn't wait to try new things that weren't necessarily feasible with one. In any case...

Main: primarily focused on dual-wielding, speed, and trickery. Wields dual cestae, the Old Whip, a poison-infused Dragonrider Twinblade, and the Toxic Mist pyromancy (secondary focus: dual-wielding anything). Primary stats are ADP/DEX/STR (enough to wield most DEX weapons and dual cestus).

Caster alt: primarily focused on casting ALL THE SPELLS, ALL THE TIME...mostly. Wields a staff, chime, and pyromancy flame for casting, with an enchanted rapier for CQC, and switches between every spell he comes across. Primary stats are INT/FTH/ATN (of course), with enough DEX and STR to wield a rapier.

Heavy alt: primarily focused on heavy armor, sword-and-board combat. Wields a tower shield and any weapon she comes across (favoring an estoc and Heide Knight sword; secondary focus, two-handing anything). Primary stats are STR/VIT/END, with some VGR and DEX increases as new weapons become available.

I'm finding them all equally fun, oddly enough.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
My current character (and first) is a broad build with an emphasis on Faith.

I don't remember the stats off hand (and my PS3 is off in another room), but it's something like:

38 Vgr
30 End
30 Vit
30 Atn
34 Str
22 Dex
25 Adp
15 Int
42 Fth

I dual wield Broadswords for most non-pvp engagements, one normal enhanced to +10 and another fire enhanced to +10 (which scales with my faith stat, making it more potent then my normal one). I'm thinking of making a suite of enhanced Broadswords (exception of enchanted, magical, raw and mundane) as they are well rounded sword for general use.

I also have a normal +10 Zweihander, which I use for PvP mainly, where I use sunlight blade or resonant blade miracle/hex to enhance it's damage.

I have a normal +10 halberd which I hardly use anymore due to it not scaling well. Switched it to a +10 Lightning Lucerne, which I use for crowd control in non pvp situations, though it's quite potent in pvp too.

I have an insolent mace, which does lightning damage on it's own and allows me to cast miracles and hexes when in combat, but I added dark damage to it too when I was pumping stats into int (got it to +10). I'm about to pick up a second in new game+ and will probably add something else to it instead since Dark isn't scaling with my current build too well. This is a great weapon for PvP as it allows me to cast and attack, and it's beast when dual wielded with my +10 fire broadsword. Great for melee faith builds.

I have a +10 normal kite shield which is a good all rounder shield, though I do more dodging then blocking. I have a +5 Drangleic Shield which I switch to when facing enemies who do massive physical chip damage.

I have a +5 Drangleic Sword, but I haven't made much use of it. It was handy in New Game but the Zweihander is used over it instead.

My chosen Chime is a +5 Chime of Want, which is good for me as I use both Hexes and Miracles and this has good scaling stats for both (though it favours hexes). As mentioned above I also have the Insolent Mace which doubles as a chime (at the expense of a power attack)

I'm using the Faraam Armor set (the one on the box cover) which I sometimes switch the chest piece to Jugos mantle. simply because it looks badass. It gives decent states too when maxed pit and is light enough to let me wield quite a bit of heavy weaponry. Did I mentioned it looks badass?

Most of my Spells I use are ranged. 2 Lightning Bolt, 1 Great Lightning, Sunlight Blade, Resonant Soul, Resonant Great Soul and Resonant Blade. This means I can deal with most threats at range including many bosses if I don't feel like duking it out, but it also means I can keep invaders on their toes if they think they can just stay out of reach. The insolent mace makes for a great "gotcha" cast when they think they are clear for estus consumption. The Weapons buffs, Sunlight blade and Resonant Blade, are beastly in PVP or just for duking it out with Bosses or random AI phantoms.

I almost exlusively wear Third Dragon Ring and Southern Ritual Band+2. For regular play I also have the covetous serpent ring gold/silver +2 for farming purposes. For PVP I switch to Chloranthy ring +2 and Stone ring or Ring of giants +1 (depending on whether I want to be offensive or defensive in a fight).

I experimented with some status effect weapons like the Flamberge, but I haven't found a suitable means to use the weapon. I think I goofed adding more bleed damage to it as it makes its core damage really weak, but it causes bleed really fast (which is substantially weaker to Dark Souls Bleed effect). I add Lightning or Resonant soul for extra damage but I haven't had a PVP encounter yet where I had the weapon equipped.

For the sake of figthing certain enemies and for mild PVP use (mainly toxic cloud and chaos storm), I have +10 Flame and +10 Dark Flame for use in pyromancy though.

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
Would it be worth to do some respeccing once you go into New Game+? I know i want to at least get my character to have the ability to shoot lightning as well as have decent melee and strength.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
The first time I beat the game, I was using a dex/faith build that chucked lightning spears and used a bleeding ricard's rapier (bleed scales off faith/dex).

The second time around I was using a dark build that never got anywhere. Then a dual weapon dex build that never got anywhere.

Now after I had to replace my PS3, I'm using a dark build again.

Stats:

Vigor: 22 (and growing)
Endurance: Base
Vitality: Base
Adaptability: Base
Strength: 16 (weapons and drangleic shield)
Dexterity: 16 (weapons)
Intelligence: 30 (dark bonus softcaps at 30 int/faith)
Faith: 30
Attunement: 30

Using a dark blacksilver spear (drops from the grave wardens in Earthen Peak), which is the best dark weapon I have so far. It's pretty good, though the moveset takes getting used to. Planning to also use the blacksilver sickle later, as well. Currently in Shrine of Amana. Oh, and Sunset Staff for the catalyst, regular pyro flame for flame swathe and caitha's chime for miracle hexes (will switch to chime of want after endgame).

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
Well it is my first playthrough in Dark Souls 2 and I have only gotten to No Man's Wharf, but so far I am trying to make a well rounded melee character so most of my souls are going to strength, dexterity, endurance, vitality, and adaptability. I am using an upgraded fire sword with a Drangleic shield in full Drangleic Armor. So far it has been working out fairly well. I generally like running balanced characters like that, he can dodge, block, and dish out damage with the best of them, but he isn't technically a master of anything. Kind of like me in a way...

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
All-30 biuld. Dual mudane Avelyns. In case of invasion and i cant force them to use a ladder.

If i can force them to use a ladder (the tower in The Lost Bastille where you find Lucatiel is a good example) I just troll with taunts, Drakewing and by "wasting" my 44 casts of Great Lightning Spear.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Right now I'm running with a Belmont Clan build, using whips as my sole weapons, plus throwing weapons(knives, urns, etc). I'm also using magic for the sole purpose of weapon enchantment(so I can run around with a flaming whip without having to infuse and therefore weaken my physical damage output). I'm wearing Black Leather torso and Pate's arms and legs, but I plan on switching to Lucatiel's gear once I encounter her again.

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
Nice, my builds at lvl 150, and it's a strength character but i'm getting wrecked by King Vendric, and i'm still on first playthrough.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
42 said:
Nice, my builds at lvl 150, and it's a strength character but i'm getting wrecked by King Vendric, and i'm still on first playthrough.
I'll tell you a little trick i learned from the German spy. if you stick to vendricks right side and stay a little behind him he cant do a damn thing about it. also have 5 giant souls. that'll help a lot.

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
weirdo8977 said:
42 said:
I'll tell you a little trick i learned from the German spy. if you stick to vendricks right side and stay a little behind him he cant do a damn thing about it. also have 5 giant souls. that'll help a lot.
just managed to kill the lumbering bastard. and then from there it was a nice stroll in co-op for the final boss. but yeah now im reluctant to go into NG+

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
42 said:
weirdo8977 said:
42 said:
just managed to kill the lumbering bastard. and then from there it was a nice stroll in co-op for the final boss. but yeah now im reluctant to go into NG+
Just for reference, Vendrick is optional, you dont actually have to kill him, you can just run past him, get the ring and leave. And to be fair, unless you want his equipment he aint worth doing mainly because he can be a really tough bastard, especially if you do the mistake i did and attack him right after velstadt, without giant souls, dying and having to cheese-farm giant souls in black gulch by ascetic burning to stand a chance.

Anyway, as to get to the topic itself..i got a few builds, or rather i got 4 right which i plan on doing anything with, though essentially 3 of them are for the purposes of "i may as well". My main is "mainly" a caster, miracles that is, though i recently re-attuned to hexes to test the damage output, which so far kinda left me baffled as to how weak it is compared to lightning spears, shitty int-scaling apparently. My others are a two-hand melee build, heavy armor, as much VIT to get under 50% equipload (got smelter right now, trying for heide knight set), rest goes into strength and a little into attunement and intelligence so i can get a bit pyromancy going, mainly flame weapon and other buffs.

The last two are..fun-builds really, one dual-cestus build which i plan to make into a straight-up 40/40 and an Archer, well planned Archer, i havent actually gotten far into the game with that one yet, but the plan is basicly to make it a primarily ranged build without using magic, hence bows, and no, no avelyn cause thats cheap as fuck.