Your experience with Playstation Vita...

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
I got one about a month ago. I decided I needed Persona 4 Golden and the thought that I could afford to was slowly driving me mad.

My experience so far has been that it's a great system in itself and the PS+ service is more than welcome. If I have any problems with it they are that the cost of memory is exorbitant (I managed to save some money by getting a 32gb off of Amazon, but even then it's steep) and the brightness dimming after about 30 seconds of inactivity. I just wish it would let me watch cutscenes or read text without having to fondle the back touchscreen.

Like many others I wish there were a few more games for it but with Sony's back catalogue there's enough for me at the moment. I'm currently getting to grips with Disgaea:AOD and getting my arse handed to me.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
I've had a great time with mine.
I usually spend at least an hour a day on it a day and I basically have zero problems with it.
The game library hasn't been a problem for me yet (even got a backlog) and with Spelunkey coming out soon I don't think I ever will.
The Vita's software is fantastic! The Home screen UI is perfect and the apps all are really functional and reliable.
Hardware wise you can't beat it, it's like a PS2.5 in one small comfy package. (The second thumbstick is a god send)

IT IS PERFECT IN EVERY WAY NOW BOW BEFORE IT!

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Having only played a friends Vita a few times, I really like the system (dat screen) and am a fan of the way sony manages it's back catalog and ps+

However, there's a scant few games I would want for it and I can't see that changing anytime soon (not saying there's no games, just not for me). I can't justify the price when I know my 3DS will always be my go-to portable device. I do wish Nintendo had a bit more competition in the handheld market but I can see why the 3ds sells 10x better.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
The only reason I would ever consider buying a Vita is for Persona 4 Golden. Still, that game alone (for me, at least) is not enough for me to get a Vita. If it came onto the PSN, I'd throw so much money at my PS3, it'd be in pieces.

Although, all things considered, P4G IS pretty damned tempting...

PeterMerkin69

Dec 2, 2012
My experience has been good. I love the controls, the screen is beautiful, and it works. And I have Plus, so some content is included with the service I already paid for on my PS3. The only thing is, I don't actually want to play 90% of the games that are available, and there aren't exactly... any coming out anytime soon. So there's a few arcade style games, PS1 Classics and old digital PSP games and not much else. I have a little bit of buyer's remorse, but at least I got to play that pitifully easy Lunar remake!

I just ordered a 3DS XL because that? That has games that I actually want to play, and most of them aren't ones I've already played 15 years ago!*

*except StarFox and Zelda OoT.

Ghostbody

Jun 10, 2008
I like my Vita. There have been a few problems that Sony should not have done (looking at you proprietary memory unit)but overall I'm still a fan. The game library need to be bigger but I have downloaded a bunch of cross-buy and cross-play titles so that helps out a lot. I will say that to construction of the device is a little weak because I got a pressure fracture in the the bottom right hand corner not too long after I got it even with a case on. Considering that PSP and PS One games are playable as well, the ones I do not have anymore and I decide to download is a nice touch. There are problems but for the most part, I'm happy with it. Now only if SMT IV was to come out for it...

Ghostbody

Jun 10, 2008
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
The only reason I would ever consider buying a Vita is for Persona 4 Golden. Still, that game alone (for me, at least) is not enough for me to get a Vita. If it came onto the PSN, I'd throw so much money at my PS3, it'd be in pieces.

One, love the avatar. Two, P4G is damn near worth the price of admission and Soul Sacrifice may be able to seal the deal.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Its a very good handheld system , it just needs some more games. If it had a good lineup it could be contending with the DS range. Ive been playing a lot of PS classic games on mine though which is really why I bought it in the first place because they don't look as bad on vita since they are not stretched across a screen far too big for the era unlike on the PS3 or PC.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Ghostbody said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:

One, love the avatar. Two, P4G is damn near worth the price of admission and Soul Sacrifice may be able to seal the deal.
I know. I've played the crap out of P3:FES and I've watched sooooooo many vids on YouTube for P4 (not to mention the anime) that I've been tempted more times than I'd like to admit. But if I find a woman anywhere CLOSE to resembling Naoto or Marie in personality (or looks, I'm not too picky), orphanages and nursing homes might as well pray to whatever deities they choose, because I will run them the fuck over in going to buy a Vita and P4G.

EDIT: Thanks for the avatar praise, and that thanks can also go to Caramel Frappe for helping me make it.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I highly enjoy my Vita, but it could stand to use some more heavy hitters in the game department. Right now I plan to keep playing/re-play only two out of the four full-priced games I own on my Vita, those games being Soul Sacrifice and Persona 4 Golden.

To contrast, the 3DS has so many heavy hitters coming that I've preordered three coming in the next two months.

Dom T

Aug 31, 2010
When the Vita launched I had absolutely no interest in it at all, I hated the PSP and traded in my 3DS because I didn't think any of the games were worth the price. However recently the opportunity arose to get a Vita at a price I couldn't refuse and am now, I love it and am very glad to have been proven wrong! It basically offers a portable home console experience, something I thought was unnecessary as a smartphone/tablet owner, but it turns out is better than you'd expect.

Usually in the evenings after work I can't be bothered to play console games even though I'd like to, because it involves sitting in an upright, active position, and takes a fair amount of effort to do, when really I just want to relax sitting back in the sofa. The Vita is perfect for these situations.

If you have a Vita (or a PS3) then a PS+ subscription is a must, you easily get enough content to keep you occupied without needing to purchase retail games. I have just finished Metal Gear Solid Collection HD and still have Gravity Rush, Virtues Last Reward, Wipe Out, Thomas Was Alone, Lumines, Sine Mora, Chrono Volt, Mortal Kombat and Jet Set Radio still to play, and next week they will be releasing Rayman on PS+. I also purchased FF7/8/9 in a PSN sale which are great to play on the Vita. There are enough good games just on PS+ to make it worthwhile, at least for now.

The only downside, which has already been mentioned, is the cost of memory cards. The prices are obscene, made worse by the fact the cards are essential if you plan on purchasing content digitally. I bought a 16gb memory card for £40, yet the 64gb micro SD card in my phone was only £15!

Anyway, to anyone on the fence about the Vita should give it a go!

Aug 19, 2010
I love my Vita. The only cons I have experienced are the overpriced memo cards, and the lack of games. The second I have totally forgiven immediately when I bought Castlevania:SotN. I do plan on buying more PSOne ports. Other than that I really like the little thing. I have never experienced this "Blinking Lights of Death" phenomenon.
I also own a DSLite, and of the two, I prefer my Vita.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
It's pretty nice. I decided to wait untill I could buy P4 Golden and then buy both things. And this little thingy feels really good.

So far, I have only two gripes about it: reallny small game library (if we exclude PSone/PSP digital games) and lack of even basic textual program. Seriously, how hard it is to make a prog that reads at least txt?

But overall, I like it.

bandit0802

Dec 24, 2008
I just got one this weekend and so far, I really like it. Yes, it's got a very limited library (and like the PSP, it's mostly mediocre exclusives that exist only to promote the console itself), but it's certainly got a lot of potential. To me, Uncharted seems to be the best indicator of what can be done with it. It's too bad the game itself wasn't impressive enough to get serious attention. I'd love to see more games with quality gameplay and story come out for it.

I've had Persona 4, Gravity Rush, and Soul Sacrifice recommended to me. Any other action game recommendations?

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
I've played one game on my friends vita. It was called Sunflowers and I had to hold it sideways and touch the screen to tap clouds. Sometimes it required that I shook the device. It was a fun little thing and basically the only real experience I've had with the thing.

I did play Retro City Rampage at a Target's kiosk and quite honestly, that is not a very good port.

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
I've only had my Vita since February, but I absolutely love it.

Very high quality: the touch screens and tilt control are awesome (I frelling loved it when I could tilt my ps3 controller to direct movement in console games, this is just an extension of that), the graphics are very impressive for what they've got going, and with Playstation Plus I literally don't have enough memory cards to hold all the free games I've gotten.

That does however lead to my one negative, which seems to be a wide complaint: the memory cards. My vita came with a 4gig card as it was bundled with a game, but really 4gig covers very little. The prices (at least in Canada) are outrageous, but I can't imagine managing with just 4 or 8gig.

Overall though I'm definitely impressed with my Vita. I've been doing a lot of travelling via train lately, so I get a lot of use out of it. I also got it a little later into its' life cycle so there was time for game development and more perks to purchasing one, no animosity here! Would absolutely recommend it, but Playstation Plus really makes the difference here: I can't afford to buy games all the time.